All is well...sort of

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Angyl, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Angyl

Angyl New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    What a nightmare. Spent more than 24 hours when we first got our Tivo trying to get it to connect via phone line (VoIP, anyone?) for set up.

Finally got lucky and got that done. Knew we couldn't put up with that all the time so we bit the bullet and bought the wireless adapter from TIVO so it could use our home network.

Was very excited when it arrived--excitement that was crushed when we were told by TIVO that it had to call and update the software before we could use it.

WHY THE HECK DIDN'T TIVO GET THE LATEST SOFTWARE WHEN WE CONNECTED FOR SET UP TWO WEEKS AGO???

*growl*

Another night of frustration and finally it connected, downloaded the update and HURRAH! We can use our network.

Tivo has successfully connected through our network for updates.

Now... the problem...

We have a Linksys Wireless-B router that my computer and my wife's are connected through wired. It is this router that Tivo is successfully connecting through to get its updates.

I downloaded the Tivo desktop.

It doesn't see my Tivo.

Tivo itself doesn't see either of our computers on the network.

WTH???

I can see my wife's computer...she can see mine... we trade files all the time. Tivo obviously has access to the network too...

WHAT GIVES? I've searched the help files up and down for the solution to this but they are all outdated (wrong pics/info on them) or don't address the particular issue I'm having in a straightforward manner.

Any help for getting my Tivo Desktop and my Tivo to talk to each other?

2. rcobourn

rcobourn Registered Snoozer

Nov 10, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    You've probably got a firewall turned on on the computer you are running Tivo Desktop on, which is preventing the Tivo from seeing it. It could also be preventing you from seeing the Tivo, although that is a less common problem. Start by testing with the firewall disabled, then go from there as far as configuring your firewall to allow for Tivo operation.