All channels go black

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nightdesigns, Mar 23, 2010.

1. nightdesigns

nightdesigns New Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Surprise, AZ

Advertisements

Been having this problem, probably for the last 12-18 months with increasing frequency. I'll turn on my TV and find that all of the channels are black (HD, SD, Analog, Digital, all). I don't remember when it started and it used to only happen about once per month now it's as frequent as 1-2 times per week. A soft reboot will restore all of the channels.

Things I've tested to try to figure this out:
    -Hard Reboot (powered off/unplugged all equipment including tuning adapter for extended period or time)
    -Checked signal strength - I can scan through the channels and it'll show all of the channels at 95-100, however, a picture will not show behind the Signal Strength Meter, just black
    -Looked in the Cable Card menus and didn't see anything that stood out
    -Tuning Adapter does not blink an error code
    -I believe this issue occurred before the tuning adapter
    -Issue has occurred at 2 different house locations (not related to signal?)

The Tivo will show that it is recording (red light/red dot), however it is not really. The green bar does not fill up. The recording history will show "Signal not available."

Any ideas on what to check next?

Info:
    Tivo Series 3 (2008), added 2nd hard drive (1 TB), Cox Cable Phoenix, 1 M-Card, Tuning Adapter.

2. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I had this for the first time on my S3 last night, but only on some of the HD channels - started at 445 or so and higher on TWC. The one program that was recording didn't record at all. The channels came back on their own a short time later. I have cable cards, but no tuning adapter.

3. LukeNM

LukeNM New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    New Mexico
    Our new Tivo HD does this too... At first I thought it might be a programmed timeout of the hard disk, but now I believe the hard disk is hanging. It did this a few times before installing the WD expander and continues to do it now. If you go to Live TV and manually change the channel (not just switch between tuners) you can get the drive to start spinning again and capturing video. I think the primary drive is bad needs to be replaced. If it does this and your not home to check it will not record scheduled programs...

4. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
  5. Loquitur

Loquitur Member

Jan 10, 2005
    New York

Advertisements

..... I'll turn on my TV and find that all of the channels are black (HD, SD, Analog, Digital, all)....... The Tivo will show that it is recording (red light/red dot), however it is not really. The green bar does not fill up. The recording history will show "Signal not available."

YIKES!!!! This happened to me last night on both tuners of my HD XL. I have Cablevision, two cable cards and the TA. The Tivo was trying to record FOXHD and CBSHD but there was no signal. And I couldn't get a picture on either cable card to come on Live TV on any channel. Interestingly enough, my S3, which also has two cable cards but no TA, had no problem. I rebooted this morning and the channels appear to be back. But this is a PITA bigtime!!

Susan

6. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Do you still get sound? If so, I have this happen occasionally, too. For me, I determined it's an HDMI/HDCP handshaking glitch. Something went wrong with some previous handshake, and from that point on it refuses to show the picture. All I have to do to fix it is toggle my TV to some other HDMI input, then toggle it back to the TiVo, then it fixes itself.

7. Loquitur

Loquitur Member

Jan 10, 2005
    New York
    No, Jeeters, I had no sound and no picture on any channel on any tuner. It was very strange.

8. n64ra

n64ra New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Yes, I have the problem often. A reboot temporarily fixes it.

9. nightdesigns

nightdesigns New Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Surprise, AZ
    Happened again the other night. This time i put the unit in standby and then came back. Immediately a cable card firmware upgrade started. After that I still couldn't get channels, but as always a reboot took care of that. Curious to see if it still happens after the cable card upgrade.

10. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E New Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Welcome to the nightmare. This has been going on for a very long time now, and still no fix.

11. wood252ota

wood252ota Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I have it too. It only seems to happen on my cable attached (Time Warner) tivo and not on my OTA tivo. I called Tivo service and they had me put an attenuator on to drop the signal (didn't help). All my Tivo's are stock with no cable cards, adapters, or expansion drives. Sometime I can get it back by changing the channels, and sometimes I has to be rebooted. I was hoping the latest 11.F update coming out would fix this, but maybe this was only a tuning adapter fix. I've been tempted to run a disk diag on it to see if the drive was going bad. The Tivo is less than an year old, so nothing should be going yet. I was wondering if the premiere still had this feature since they said they re-worked the analog tuner section.

12. LukeNM

LukeNM New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    New Mexico
    Tonight at about 7:30 I sat down to start watching a 2 hour program that was supposed to record starting at 7:00 (red recording indicator LED was on) only to discover the screen stuck on an image of a program that was on last night when I turned the set off and went to bed. I changed the channel up and down, the frozen image disappeared and the unit started to really record the program that was setup.

13. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Yup I'm getting this too.
    I have it hooked up tp an antenna. My wife called me in the am and said no picture or sound.
    Later that day, it was back on. Then it went off again.
    Tried changing channels accessing Tivo, swapping tuners, unplugging the HDMI cable.

I just reset it and the video came back, but not the audio.

I noticed b4 the reset that plugging in Component cables and digital optical audio, gave me sound & video, so the problem is with the HDMI.
    I am intending to permanently use the optical audio out and I would use the component cables, thus doing away with the HDMI. However, the video shows horrible scan lines!

Tried one more thing before going to bed:
    Turned off tv, unplugged hdmi from tv, plugged back in, turned on tv and got back the audio (with video). I'll try this method again the next time it happens to see it that resolves it.

14. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    My Premiere just got hit with this. All channels black... even analog. The analog set upstairs was unaffected. I spot-checked signal strength, and the channel strength appeared normal. A soft reboot cleared this up. Hopefully it is gone for good, but if in recurs I'll see if a TA reboot alone helps (it's certainly quicker than booting the whole shebang). Hopefully this isn't a new feature of the recent mini-upgrades.

15. nightdesigns

nightdesigns New Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Surprise, AZ
    I have discovered that unplugging the power cycling on the Tuning Adapter only will bring back all channels.