alias 12/14 ..spoilers !

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cyke93, Dec 15, 2005.

1. cyke93

cyke93 New Member

Jan 29, 2004

Advertisements

warning for those who havent watched....

all i cud say is "that" grandma should get run over by a reindeer for what she did !! too bad we have to wait till march

2. soudev

soudev New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    As someone that's given up on the show, how about a recap?

Is vaughn dead or alive?

3. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Spy mommy is back and kidnapped Sydney. She is apparently is in charge of the bad guys. They did some sort of hypno-drug therapy on Sydney to try to get information that Vaughn told her a long time ago so Vaughn was back in her hypno state. While attempting to find Sydney, they found a nursery set up in the bad guy's complex.

4. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow. Just when I think I'm done with this show, it comes along and knocks me out again.

What a great episode.

5. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

Well, the last 5 minutes was great. The rest of it dragged a bit. The scenes with Syd and Vaughan were monotonous. Did anyone else think their kiss was really awkward?

6. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    The entire episode was awkward, although I think in part it was meant to be disorienting. I think it was to try and make the audience somewhat feel what Sydney was going through. The Syd and Vaugh scenes were strange because they were all things we have already seen, but then some of the dialog suddenly changed. I thought it was interesting showing things like that through the eyes of Sydney but I could easily see someone being bored with it. Not one of the best episodes, but still good. I certainly didn't see Lena Olin coming back since they've tried so hard to get her and she just didn't seem interested.

7. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ

I enjoyed seeing the refilmed scenes from earlier seasons. What was monotonous was the repetitive "Syd, you have to let me go". "No, I can't let you go."

8. Deekeryu

Deekeryu New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I loved this episode. Alias is back on track. Jack is badass slicing that Dr. Desantis ear off. I cringed at that moment, but I guess Renee shooting him dead was a pre-emptive move.

I also liked the action sequence where Sydney was captured and Renee shooting the van down.

I don't know. This episode was fast paced and lots happened. From Kelly P. killing that agent till the end with Sydney on this big container shipped going who knows where. I liked the flashbacks with Vaughn. It seemed really realistic to me.

9. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Every single scene of theirs in every single episode was like that. "I need you." "No, I need you." Blah blah blah. I'm so glad he's still dead. Just like old times, I fast-forwared through all his scenes in this episode, with closed captioning on. Got the three important lines of dialog without having to sit through the repetitive weepy mush.

Otherwise, I think this was about as good an episode as Alias is capable of nowadays. Once upon a time, Sydney captured and tortured would have generated real suspense, but not so much anymore. But I was glad to see that after weeping through most of it, she didn't give them what they wanted. And the ending on the ship was a great touch. Irina? Always happy to see her, and it was another good surprise, but again, I don't think it had the impact it once would have. They've flipped Irina from bad to good to neutral to victim to apparently bad again so many times that her appearance really doesn't have the impact it once did. It really doesn't even make sense.

But Jack being a badass -- well, that's always fun.

10. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    You have GOT to be kidding. This ep dragged like none I've ever seen with Alias. Even the "Syd torture/drug" scenes were lousy. It's certainly lost its mojo. I agree with a previous poster about how the scenes with Vaughn and Syd just DRAAAAGGGGGED.

11. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    I thought it was great as well. However, I didn't think so until 50 minutes into it. ;)

The "torture" thing was just a bit over the top for me, and the way Kelly found the info on Vaughn's hard drive, and the means of extracting it from Sydney were just a bit contrived for my tastes.

However, the second we saw Spy Mommy's face in the glass...this instantly became my favorite episode of the season thus far. I read a lot of general spoiler sites, and had no idea Lena would be back so soon. Kudos to the producers for keeping it hush-hush.

I also enjoyed Syd and Vaughn's scenes...each one was faithfully recreated so well I instantly knew where in the timeline each one was. It also reenforced for me how inherently rewatchable I find Alias, surprising for a show that does so much linear storytelling; as soon as the episode was over I wanted to jump back to Season 1 and start again.

Overall, I guess I did find the content strong, it's just the convoluted way they got the story going that initially threw me off.

I wonder how much Lena ended up getting? LOL.

AC

12. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...

I have to agree with the above. The day I watched it was kind of busy so when I was watching it I was constantly dozing off and rewinding. In fact I even missed mamma spy returning!!

Gerry

13. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    I really enjoyed this episode but I had it spoiled that Irina would be in it. Stupid stupid me. I thought they drug the "you have to let me go" thing into the ground a little too much but it's fun to see Jack get to be a badass again. Here's hoping JJ steps in and makes the last arcs memorable!

14. MikeSh

MikeSh New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Mid-Atlantic...
    Thank God & Tivo for 30sec skip. This epp was good but did drag some.

How/when did Sark get out? I don't remember that.

MikeS.

15. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    I think it depends on what you are looking for with Alias. For someone who is looking for the character drama, and specificly Syd and Vaughn's relationship, those scenes were gold. We've had very, very little happiness between the two of them, and for people following the show to see their relationship develop it was a kick in the groin for him to be killed off the way he was; they literally had about five minues of "happiness" before it was over, forever. Many people felt cheated, and not in a deep-Whedonesque sort of way, but a "dang, five years for THAT?" sort of way.

The scenes with Vaughn and Syd last night were really fufilling for this type of emotional exchange. We got to see Syd really say goodbye to Vaughn, which I think deserved as much attention as it recieved after five seasons. While I found the torture scenes just ridiculously over the top, the content of the dreams was top notch for me.

Don't worry, from what I understand the rest of the season is going to be BANG BANG BANG until the end, so I think you'll just find this the calm episode before the storm begins. I hope no one gets mad about this being a spoiler (and on second thought I'll make it one anyway),
    but I have read on several sites that we can expect a two-hour series finale with tons of returning characters.

I think they will leave us satisfied, as long as they don't pull an "Angel"...

AC

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    You mean a "Forever Knight"?
    Or a "Blake's 7"?

:D

17. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    LOL haven't seen either of those shows. I take it they had similar psudo-artsy-choose-your-own-adventure-after-many-seasons-of-loyalty-
    we-couldn't-come-up-with-anything-satisfying-so-f-u type finales? ;)

AC

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    They just pretty much killed everybody to end the series.

I particularly liked the way Forever Knight did it. They killed one or two people each show over the last 4 or 5 shows, ending with Nick Knight, the main lead, as the final shot before the cut to credits.

IIRC Blake's 7 was the first show ever to kill all its characters.

(or maybe I'm completely misremembering it and it was just that they killed "Blake" early in the run that's making it pop into my head...)

19. whoknows55

whoknows55 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Yay!! Mom's back!

20. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Here's what bugged me about the episode even more than the fact that my TV screen had to be polluted yet again by the visage of Michael Vartan:

The way they ended up handling the plotline about the guy from the cryo-tank that Jack interrogated and had killed (Dr. Desantos, I think was his name).

So the good guys find a cryo-tank. Renee steals the tank and revives the occupant. Sydney goes to get it back from her. She says it's her father. Turns out, it's not her father but a Prophet5 baddie who killed her father and is doubling as him. The P5 crew send a commando team to stage an all-out tactical extraction to get him back, so he must be terribly important. But in the end, he's no more than a generic upper-middle-management guy who gets killed. And barring an unlikely future plot twist, that's it for him.

After all that, he's nothing but a McGuffin. Not that there's anything wrong with McGuffins in and of themselves, but making your viewers intellectually invest in a McGuffin is bad form. :mad: