1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexa - TiVo Integration

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by RoamioJeff, May 13, 2018.

1. RoamioJeff

RoamioJeff Unregistered User

May 8, 2014
    Anyone have it yet? The "Coming Soon" announcement just appeared on my Roamio.

See: Smart Home

IMG_20180513_164614.jpg

2. RoamioJeff

May 8, 2014
    At first it freaked me out, because I recently got an Echo Dot, thinking "How did they know that?". :)

krkaufman likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  4. RoamioJeff

May 8, 2014
    Can't find TiVo skill in the Alexa app yet.

I wonder if I'm the first to spot this :)

5. sjsaliba

sjsaliba New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Not yet.

6. RoamioJeff

May 8, 2014
    IMG_20180516_183511.jpg

It appears to be here now.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    I tried it yesterday. When I first used the Alexa app it crashed the Tivo and it rebooted. Crashing Tivo pretty much never happens in my house. I subsequently had problems getting the App to register properly. When first setting it up, the Tivo Alexa codes it showed when entered into the phone Alexa app for syncing failed every time. I came back to it ten hours later and registration worked fine. I'm guessing it takes a few minutes for the Tivo servers to get synced for registration.

The integration dealing with multiple Alexa devices and multiple tivos at multiple locations seems done well. You link specific alexa devices to specific tivo devices.

Features like change channel, pause, skip, play work OK.

All in all the key feature will be yelling at Alexa to skip while your wife holding the remote is in commercial la la land.

I did find the feature of "Alexa, watch ESPN" resulted in the Spanish ESPN channel, but to be fair there are twenty or so ESPN channels.

Keen likes this.
  8. RoamioJeff

May 8, 2014
    Got the Alexa app registered with my Roamio with no problem. Most of the commands work great. A couple of the channels would not tune by name yesterday, but would tune by channel number. Today every channel I tried would tune by name, so some adjustments are probably being fine-tuned in the background.

Would like more commands, like "Tune to last channel", or "Record this show". Obviously speaking any discreet remote button function would be a good feature improvement. But for a start I give this an initial thumbs-up.

9. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Mine didn't crash but the registration process was the same - had to wait till the evening for it to work. After trying several commands, I suspect I will only use to pause or commercial skip when I am not near the remote. Time will tell...

10. JLV03

JLV03 Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Any way to ask Alexa to use the "find remote" command? I have a basic 4 tuner Roamio so no hardware button.

I tried asking Alexa to "find my remote" but she just suggested checking under the couch cushions.

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. Megamind

Megamind I'm Feeling Blue

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    Yes, but only via the IFTTT integration.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. Lurker1

Lurker1 Active Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Hahaha. Alexa is so helpful.