1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexa skills and Harmony skills do not work at the same time.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rodlebod, Jun 4, 2018.

1. rodlebod

rodlebod New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I have a XL4 Premier, Harmony Hub, Samsung Smart TV, and an Echo Show. My Harmony hub is used to power the TV, nothing else. I want to use the TiVo skill to command the TiVo after the TV is turned on. If I ask Alexa to change a channel it will either say "ok" and not work or "that command doesn't work on device TV". I disabled the Harmony skill and the TiVo skill starts working. However, the TiVo skill will not power my TV. Has anyone figured out how to make the two skills work together?

2. rodlebod

rodlebod New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    After further troubleshooting, it seems that you have to wait until the Harmony skill activity times out before the TiVo skill starts working. I am not sure how long that is...

3. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Try saying "Alexa, show ABC (NBC or whatever)." Works for me immediately after Alexa turns on the entertainment center with Harmony.

4. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    You can get a alexa plug wifi device for a few dollars (2 for $25) that can turn on and off to plug your TV into and quit using Harmony...
    Smart Plug Wifi Outlet Compatible With Alexa, Echo, Google Home and IFTTT, Teckin Mini Smart Socket with Energy Monitoring and Timer Function, No Hub Required, 16A

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    That wouldn't accomplish anything at all. Todays TVs don't power on simply because the electricity comes on.

6. rodlebod

rodlebod New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    That is the case with my TV. "Show ABC" didn't work for me.

7. rodlebod

rodlebod New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Just ordered a Fire TV Cube. It sounds like what I need. Harmony never really worked like I expected.

8. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    It works on my Sony 55" but not on my newer Vizio 42"...

9. CIP54

CIP54 Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Duxbury,...
    Why do you want the Tivo skill? I use the Harmony hub to control all of my devices (Tivo, Panasonic TV, yamaha receiver, apple tv, fios box, samsung blue ray, sonos). When set up properly it performs all normal Tivo functions, and Alexa mostly does the same. Certainly turning the TV on and off, pause, play, all work 100%. Sometimes direct channel navigation works (tune to ESPN) sometimes it doesn't. To be honest, once on the couch the remote still works the best.