Alexa or Google Home

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Nov 24, 2017.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    i am trying to decide which assistant I want to buy. From my reading Google Home has a better architecture.

I really want something that is going to work with both Plex and TiVo (eventually)

What do you guys think?

2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    It's rumored that TiVo is considering adding an Alexa skill. I believe Plex already has. Plex has also rolled out support for Google Assistant but only in their Android TV app.

Alexa Coming To TiVo, Maybe IFTTT Too

I have a Google Home and like it. I think it's smarter when it comes to general info. Plus it works with Gmail, Google maps, Android phones, etc. The reasons to get an Amazon Echo instead are that you do a lot of shopping through Amazon and/or you have smart hardware that's supported by Alexa but not Google Assistant. Alexa has a head start there but Google will eventually catch up.

3. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Ultimately what devices you buy may tilt you one way of the other. Just watch out for promised future support on devices that may never happen, that is true for both Alexa or Google Assistant. (AKA watch out for vaporware)

4. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    I know have both thanks to the $29 mini sale.

We have two full size Echo's and two Dot's spread thru the house and I added the Mini into the master bedroom where one Echo is at.

Here's my impression's so far.

The Dot/Echo look better to me.
    The Mini sound quality is far far better then the Dot but not as good as the Echo but it's close.
    The voice on the Mini is far cleaner and crisp and more life like but sometimes talks too fast for my taste.
    Manual controls on the Echo and Dot are better, I couldn't touch the Mini without accidentally changing the volume and it had no set location to touch for that.
    Basic search questions equaled a much better response from the Mini, Amazon needs to buy a middle ground or better search engine to get a good source to get near Google. I will elaborate more farther down.
    Smart Home functions worked a crap ton better on the Echo/Dot, much much easier setup and ability's on my switches and lights. Echo bedroom on, versus Hey Google turn on the bedroom light. to get the same function.
    Single word wake up command, trust me when I say the difference between saying Echo and Hey Google or Ok Google gets old real quick.

The fact it has Google on board is a huge factor to making searches have more info but I found it wasn't always perfect. I searched for post office hours and the Echo gave me the hours but the Mini gave me the hours and warned it may be changed by the holiday. I searched for the phone number for Waffle house and the Echo gave me the one nearest to me but Mini gave me the one nearest my ISP local hub three towns over which meant I had to specify where I wanted it.

It's really a toss up at the point and comes down to what you want it to do in my book. Are you wanting it for daily search questions for info? Get a Home. Are you wanting it for every now and then searches but mainly Smart Home? I'd get a Echo.

For me the shorter commands and wake word equals easier and quicker usage in the long run. The Home needs a shorter wake word option and easier add on support with direct support from companies, like Hue has on the Echo. If it got those, it would be a 100% winner.

mb117 and CaseyJ like this.
  5. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Alexa already has Plex support (currently requires PlexPass). It’s beta quality, but decent.

As others said, a lot depends on exactly what you want to do, and what equipment you have.

6. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I added a Home mini - at the price it seems like there is no reason to not have both. My plan for the mini is to essentially use it for its googlishness in the family room, as I have echos (Echo/Dot/tap) throughout the house. We'll see if it can win me over.

7. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Alexa/Plex does not require PlexPass -- it can be used without.