1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexa, Google Home, and IFTTT, oh my!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by smokinwrek, Jan 13, 2018.

1. smokinwrek

smokinwrek New Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Jacksonville...
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Active Member

Mar 5, 2004
  4. Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    Does anyone know if you will need to have Hydra for the Alexa voice control?

I ask because I am thinking about "rolling" back Hydra on my new Bolt which I hate as it is very hard to navigate between my 4 TiVo boxes. Hydra would be fine if all my recordings were on the Bolt, but they are are not. I would use voice control to change the channel - something that I haven't been able to do with my Harmony Hub - Alexa will pause, mute and turn off my TV but not change the channel.

5. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    TiVo_Ted says the Smart home stuff (Alexa/Google Home/IFTTT) won't require Hydra.
    (link to specific post from him): Smart Home with TiVo

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Both Alexa and Google Home work with Harmony Hub...I just set it up yesterday...

-KP

7. Tony_T

Tony_T Active Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Can it do Auto-SKIP (SKIP w/o pressing D)?

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Well, I don't do Alexa, but Google Home can pretty much do any shortcut you teach it...

-KP

9. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    Have you tried lately? There was an update a while ago, but I don't remember if it was the Harmony side, Alexa side, or both. Try "Alexa...change channel to five-five-oh" or whatever.

10. Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    I am sure it is an issue with my not really understanding how to set up the Harmony hub and it's activities. My brain doesn't track with the logic of the harmony set up. It does work to turn on the TV and to switch my amp to cable/sat (that is the main reason I got the hub because my Samsung TV insists on changing the amp from cable/sat to TV after a 3-5 sec delay). I can then tell Alexa to turn on the TV again to keep the amp where it needs to be so that I have sound. (I don't use the TV sound). TiVo changes the channel not the TV or the amp. When I had the TiVo in the set up, it kept turning off my TiVo which needs to stay on all the time.

11. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    It sounds like you have CEC activated on your TV.

Turning it off ( in the TV system menu) would probably cure that issue.

-KP

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 10:14 PM
  12. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    For both the skip and channel changing, I just use the remote because it's easier. But for turning the TV/receiver on/off or changing inputs, Alexa/harmony is handy. Or if you've wandered out of the room and want to pause, that is handy too.

Because the channel up button on the TiVo Remote also does the skip function, you can say "Alexa...channel up" and it will skip just like pushing D. If by "Auto-SKIP" you mean will it detect a commercial and automatically skip without you doing or saying anything, then no.

I agree, logitech tried to make the harmony so easy it's not intuitive.

From the Harmony App Activity Menu, make sure your activity is set up to use the TiVo to change channels.

[​IMG]
    In the Device menu. there should also be a setting to leave the TiVo always powered on.
    [​IMG]

If turning off HDMI-CEC doesn't fix your other problem, you can add extra steps and delays into your activity so you won't have to tell Alexa to do it again.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 12:25 AM
  13. Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    I tried but it messed up something else, so I gave up. It's not a problem to ask Alexa again :)

14. Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    I will give it a shot tonight and see if that will work for me. Thanks!

15. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    It probably turned off ARC when you disabled CEC...what are you using ARC for?

I HATE something that automatically does something I don't want it to do!

-KP

16. Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    I got most of what I needed to work thanks to you!