1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexa and the Tivo "new experience"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stacy L., May 16, 2018.

1. Stacy L.

Stacy L. New Member

May 16, 2018
    So I recently upgraded Tivo to the "new experience" (AKA Hydra) and don't really like it...the new guide gives me a pretty good headache. Having said that, this morning I get an email announcing that Tivo now works with Alexa (hooray, I've been waiting for that) but here's the thing - the instructions on how to get it to work are based on the old UI.

I can't find anything in the Apps section for the "new" Tivo...no boxes to check. I assume this is actually missing from the new UI and not anything *I* am missing?

Thanks.

2. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I'm getting a *bleep*load of "Sorry, something went wrong" when trying it out. I wouldn't get too anxious about it.

3. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    You do know that you can revert back to the previous Tivo UI, don't you? That's the real upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Look for Alexa in apps (menu then 4) in hydra. If you have it, it will be there.

5. Bryshaw

Bryshaw New Member

May 2, 2018
    Is anyone else having issues with the command “Alexa, Pause” not doing anything?

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Mine gets stupid occasionally and I have to remind it that I am using TiVo. But that is probably because I had to disable the the fios skill.

7. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I just saw the message last night about Alexa and I found it in apps went to Alexa app on my phone 1st Tivo skill wasn't there then I saw it and enabled it. We got it to pause play and change to a channel saying number or like ABC but I can't get it to skip commercials or do the 30 second skip not sure all the commands or how to say them. I hope more commands become available though. I think I tired go to Netflix and I don't think it worked. And what is Hydra a new Tivo update and if I have the Alexa I have that I guess? I haven't noticed anything different.

Edit: Oh so I just called Tivo and was asking about the Vox remote working with our Romio and she said yes if you upgrade your user experience. I just found out with Alexa you say skip it and it skips commercials. I was on Amazon reading reviews on the Vox remote and wondering if it is worth getting. Anyone have it? Thanks!

Last edited: May 17, 2018