1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexa and the Tivo "new experience"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stacy L., May 16, 2018.

1. Stacy L.

Stacy L. New Member

May 16, 2018
    So I recently upgraded Tivo to the "new experience" (AKA Hydra) and don't really like it...the new guide gives me a pretty good headache. Having said that, this morning I get an email announcing that Tivo now works with Alexa (hooray, I've been waiting for that) but here's the thing - the instructions on how to get it to work are based on the old UI.

I can't find anything in the Apps section for the "new" Tivo...no boxes to check. I assume this is actually missing from the new UI and not anything *I* am missing?

Thanks.

2. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I'm getting a *bleep*load of "Sorry, something went wrong" when trying it out. I wouldn't get too anxious about it.

3. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    You do know that you can revert back to the previous Tivo UI, don't you? That's the real upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Look for Alexa in apps (menu then 4) in hydra. If you have it, it will be there.

5. Bryshaw

Bryshaw Member

May 2, 2018
    Is anyone else having issues with the command “Alexa, Pause” not doing anything?

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Mine gets stupid occasionally and I have to remind it that I am using TiVo. But that is probably because I had to disable the the fios skill.

7. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I just saw the message last night about Alexa and I found it in apps went to Alexa app on my phone 1st Tivo skill wasn't there then I saw it and enabled it. We got it to pause play and change to a channel saying number or like ABC but I can't get it to skip commercials or do the 30 second skip not sure all the commands or how to say them. I hope more commands become available though. I think I tired go to Netflix and I don't think it worked. And what is Hydra a new Tivo update and if I have the Alexa I have that I guess? I haven't noticed anything different.

Edit: Oh so I just called Tivo and was asking about the Vox remote working with our Romio and she said yes if you upgrade your user experience. I just found out with Alexa you say skip it and it skips commercials. I was on Amazon reading reviews on the Vox remote and wondering if it is worth getting. Anyone have it? Thanks!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. tv-holic

tv-holic New Member

May 27, 2018
    Be careful.
    I just tried Alexa today too. Now I think my cablecard is totally hosed. I can't get Tivo to tune any channels. I was on chat with Comcast for a couple of hours re-pairing, re-loading, remove/inserting the cablecard and multiple reboots of tivo without any luck. My cablebox works fine, but Tivo is now out of commission. Comcast level 2 support is supposed to call within the next 1-2 days.

Is there a way to disable the alexa App in Tivo? I disabled the skill from the Alexa side.
    btw, the App menu item doesn't appear on the old menu (which i prefer), so I switched to the new menu style to enable Alexa, then switched back to the old. Anyway, I don't see any way to disable the app. I'm hoping that might help me to see some channels.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What model is this on? A little confused about old menu and new menu (Hydra versus gen3 or Premiere with HD versus SD but I'm assuming a Premiere?). I don't think Alexa would have anything to do with an issue with not receiving any channels or a CableCARD issue.

Scott

10. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    At the current time, the Vox remote will display old movies and TV shows not currently in the guide or streaming. if you type in those programs for a search, TiVo doesn't find them.
    With a Vox, if TiVo finds them, it will create a onepass or a bookmark for you. Since this won't work with the typing search, I've been keeping Hydra.

11. luckylady814

luckylady814 New Member

May 29, 2018
    Question and a Comment:
    Question:
    This new TIVO experience -- is their an upcharge? I watched the video and it didn't seem that much different other than the voice activated remote. They didn't mention an upcharge, either. Anyone know?
    Comment: Alexa app & Tivo: I enabled the skill today and like others have said, it's super glitchy. It opened Netflix but couldn't close it. We have four users within Netflix so there isn't a command for selecting users yet. It couldn't switch to ABC or NBC either so I just gave up. My plan is to "disable" until they get more bugs worked out.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What's an upcharge?

luckylady814 likes this.
  13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    If you mean, does TiVo charge a fee to install the new TIVO experience, no. Of course, the TiVo box still must have a regular TiVo subscription, monthly, annual, or All-In (Lifetime). And, of course, if you don't have a VOX voice remote and want one, you have to pay for that as well.

luckylady814 likes this.
  14. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Only Alexa command I use, ( and I use it a lot watching live sports), is 'Alexa Pause' for when I am out of the room getting food, or whatever, during a commercial break, and I hear the game coming back on I can pause it from wherever I am.
    Other commands eh.....

kpeters59 and luckylady814 like this.
  15. luckylady814

luckylady814 New Member

May 29, 2018
    I just mean an additional charge.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Then no. Upgrading to the Hydra UI is free.

17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some might dispute that "free" part. Money? No. It's more like an adventure on a country back road. :)

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I don't think there's any need to tell it to close an app. Just tell Alexa to change to a channel (by number or name). It was indicated that it could take 24 hours before changing channel by name works (we saw that here).

Scott