Alert for TivoPony or Tivo marketing dept

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jfh3, Aug 24, 2007.

1. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Advertisements

To the Tivo marketing folks:

Please be aware that Best Buy still prints the following disclaimer on receipts that include a Tivo purchase:

"TIVO SERVICE & A NON-DEDICATED PHONE-LINE ARE REQUIRED. TIVO CUSTOMER CARE WILL INITIATE A COURTESY CALL TO WELCOME YOU TO THE TIVO COMMUNITY! Tivo service & a non-dedicated phone line are required. Tivo service must be activated at www.tivo.com or 1-877-367-8486"

Obviously, this is incorrect - Tivo hasn't required a phone line for quite some time and it certainly isn't required on a Tivo HD box (which was on this receipt).

I helped avoid a customer return tonight at BB while I was getting a price match - someone brought back a TivoHD box they had bought yesterday, because they saw this notation when they got home. The BB clerk said a phone line was required ("it says so right here"); I assured the folks that it wasn't and gave them my phone number if they had any setup problems, but it would be nice if you could work with your partners at Best Buy to get this fixed.

I'm guessing the number of returns because of this is quite small, but even one is too many ...

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Good catch, and way to be helpful! :up:

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Really??

4. redtape

redtape Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Laurel,...
    Gee, nearly 4 years after purchasing my first Tivo at BestBuy and still waiting for that phone call. ;)

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

Well, to be fair, they didn't say when you'd get the phone call. :p

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That's why the phone line is required ... they can't call you otherwise. :p

7. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Hardly anyone reads that anyways. I don't think anyone at TiVo will be worried about this.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Also, make it clear TiVo Desktop Plus for Desktop 2.5 is needed to convert. A lot of people interpret the wording that it may not need Plus to convert.

9. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Obviously the gentleman that was about to return the Tivo HD read it. ;)

The Best Buy web site also says that monthly service is $14.95, which is wrong too.

Someone has to care about the small stuff ...

10. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    What does the TiVo website say ?
    Nothing else really matters.

If someone is willing to pay $14.95/month just to use the DVR, a few more bucks/month won't matter.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Where does it end?

If someone is willing to pay $16.95/month just to use a DVR, a few more bucks/month won't matter.

If someone is willing to pay $18.95/month just to use a DVR, a few more bucks/month won't matter.

If someone is willing to pay $20.95/month just to use a DVR, a few more bucks/month won't matter.

If someone is willing to pay $22.95/month just to use a DVR, a few more bucks/month won't matter.

Obviously there is a point where it matters.

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I'm willing to pay $6.95 a month.

And the Best Buy receipts are a joke. They have to cut down a tree every time you buy something there, just to print those crazy things.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Jeopardy had an answer whose question was "What is TiVo?" where the answer was something like "this recording device requires a phone line".

The episode reran last week, but was from earlier in this season.

14. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    http://vonage.com/help.php?article=389&category=47&nav=4

TiVo and DirecTV

Does Vonage service support DirecTV and TiVo connections?
    Many Vonage customers have successfully setup DirecTV and TiVo series2 connections through the Vonage Phone Adapter.

*Note: To connect TiVo through a wireless connection, TiVo DVRs support only the 802.11b wireless network standard and do not support 802.11g or 802.11a.

15. kesin88ui

kesin88ui New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Hardly anyone reads that anyways. I don't think anyone at TiVo will be worried about this.

16. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Yes, TiVo / Vonage users read that. Prospective Tivo customers who have Vonage will read this and be misguided.