Airport + Vonage: What do I need to do to hook up my Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by censtad, Jan 26, 2006.

1. censtad

censtad New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Hello,
    I searched around never found quite the answer I needed so here is my dilemma:

I have a Tivo Series 2 in the Living Room, my Airport Extreme, Cable Modem, and Vonage system are in my bedroom, what exactly do I need to do to hook up my Tivo in the Living room?

Thanks for your reply!

2. btl-a4

btl-a4 Man I must be bored.

Dec 28, 2005
    What is an "Airport Extreme" and how do you want to connect your Series 2 via Ethernet or phone? If ethernet do you want Wireless or Wired connection?

3. btl-a4

btl-a4 Man I must be bored.

Dec 28, 2005
    So I suppose you want to connect your TiVo wirelessly. TiVo has a wireless adapter for sale on thier website. It's a little pricey, but it's supposed to offload some of the MAC addressing to itself so your TiVo doesn't get bogged down with it. both the TiVo wireless and your Airport Extreme are 802.11g so they should talk fine. If you want to go with another USB wireless adapter just check TiVo's website they have a compatibility chart for different TiVo models and different USB wireless adapters.

4. Spiff

Spiff Pawn in game of life

Mar 1, 2004
    Fox Cities,...
    I second the suggestion to buy TiVo's wireless adapter for $49.99. It's supposed to be faster than most Wireless G, and is guaranteed compatible. However, it's out of stock.

There is a list of supported wireless adapters at http://www.tivo.com/adapters/

If you don't care about download or transfer speed, and are only concerned about getting guide data and making connections, I'd recommend the Linksys WUSB12. It's only Wireless B, though, and a wireless B device may slow down the rest of your wireless network. I only suggest it because I have personal experience with it working well. There are D-Link and Linksys G adapters out there, but speed on G adapters other than TiVo's is not very good. It won't slow down the rest of your network, though.

If at all possible, I'd run an ethernet line through the wall and try to find a Linsys USB200M v.1. The speed and reliability are much better. See the above website to find out how to identify v.1 from v.2.