Airnet cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, May 11, 2011.

1. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Does anyone know if airnet cards are still available?

2. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    I think 9th Tee have them.

3. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    They are limited to WEP (no WPA), plus range is very limited by the metal case unless you also wire in an external antenna.

Better solution is wired turbonet/cachecard and then using homeplug or a wifi gaming adaptor.

4. sculptor

sculptor sculptor

Jan 7, 2003
    London
    I use the wired cachecard attached to an apple airport express unit which wirelessly connects to the router using WPA2.

5. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Thanks for the info. It seems they are also quite slow - although probably fast enough to replace a modem Daily Call. I'm not bothered about WPA - can't think why a Tivo dialogue would require encryption!

I'm just trying of think of what we can do for people who want to switch to ethernet but don't have a lot of money. ;)

Most (ok well a 'lot') of people seem to have wireless in their house nowadays and probably don't want to run an ethernet cable from their Tivo to their adsl modem. (Personally I have no problem with the cable running across two rooms and the hallway - although I do sound like a stuck record with telling visitors to "mind the cable"!).

£90 for a cachecard (or £50 for a turbonet), plus the cost of a bridge (£35-50) makes it a very expensive way for people to switch to using the network in preference to dial-up. Don't think there's a cheaper alternative though. (Unless someone wants to resurrect the original Tivonets! )

6. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Most wifi routers only support one encryption method for the whole network - so WEP/none would be reducing your whole network to that.

7. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    True :(

8. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    A pair of HomePlug adapters (about £35 - £40) plus a TurboNZet card (£39) might work.

9. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Yes should do - that's still £75 though which is a lot of money for some people... they might start thinking it would be better to get a new toy altogether :(

10. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    ebuyer advertise the 85's for £24 every now and again

11. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    I've got a couple of 85s in a box. I upgraded to 200s a while back.

12. dchsimpson

dchsimpson New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Stafford
    I use a D-Link wireless router £7 off Ebay. Virigin Media give D-Link wireless routers away with their broadband. Most people with a fast broadband want a better router so they sell their D-Link. You can load them with open source Firmware and create a very cheap Repeater Bridge router that can connect up to an extra five devices. Far cheaper and better than a pair of home plug adapters if you already have a wireless router. If not buy a pair of D-Link routers.

13. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    better? maybe / maybe not - i'm happy with the upgrade in speed VM+homeplugs gets me. if i need more speed i'll swap em out for 200's.

my homeplugs plugged in and worked. i'm pretty sure i could get your solution working but would it have been as easy as plugging 2 things into the mains?

plus, i'm lazy :)

14. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    The biggest advantage of networking is to use Tivoweb and other hacks. If the AltEPG project has solved the issue of dialup then switching to ethernet access is no more a requirement than it always has been. Or am I missing something?