Airlink asohousb

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Snowman, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

Okay, I need some help here.

I have an FA-120 that works fine, but have two other Dtivos that need adapters. I found the asohousb was supposed to work, so I bought two. I hooked the fa120 to one of the Dtivos and networking was fine. I removed the fa-120, attached the asohousb, and rebooted. No love. The power light came on, but not the link light. I went over to ddb and found a post that suggested I needed to remove ax8817x.o and create a symlink to usbnet.o. I copied ax8817x. and and deleted the original. I then created a symlink using ln -s /lib/modules/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ax8817x.o. I did an LS and saw my symlink. I rebooted and now neither adapter works. I no longer have a serial cable thanks to the house fire, but thought someone here might have the answer before I go trying to work on one of the other ones.

2. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You skipped a few steps in your procedure. Here's what you should have done:
    1. Modified the /etc/hotplug/usb.map file with the chipset code for your adapter.
    2. Installed Jamie's backported drivers.
    3. Created the sylmlink from ax8817.x to usbnet.o.
    Since you can no longer access the drive, you'll have to pull it and mount it in a PC to add the drivers. Another alternative is to run the Zipper on it, which performs the 3 steps above.

3. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    I thought I had zipper'd it. If I zipper a pre-hacked drive, what happens?

4. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks, that made it work. I had Jamie's older backported drivers, but not the new ones. Finding the info to put in the usb.map file was not at all easy (it's in the backported drivers, DUH!).