Ahhhhh four tuners. Upgrading from TivoHD to Premiere Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by redbeard25, Dec 24, 2011.

1. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Just wanted to post my experience upgrading from TivoHD to Premiere Elite.

After much deliberation, I decided to take the plunge and go from TivoHD to Elite. I bought one from the Magnolia area of Best Buy using this coupon, a $50 gift certificate that I got a while back and this $10 statement credit from Amex. The three together knocked almost $100 off. Magnolia rep was glad to see me on Christmas Eve actually knowing what I wanted, instead of people who were wandering through and clueless about HDTV or home theater.

I got it home and plugged it up, pulling the Comcast Tivo card from the HD and dropping it in the new box. I had visions of being on hold for hours with Comcast's holiday staff, reading back and forth arcane strings of hex. I even copied the numbers off the back of the M-Card before I put it in the new box. But, in an amazing Christmas miracle, the card worked the instant I put it in the new Tivo, with all of our "extended" cable channels working. That made my day.

Initial guided setup was about what I expect with a new Tivo, maybe 30 minutes, but in the last step, it told me that it needed a software update and forced a reboot. An hour later, it finally got me to the main screen.

Thoughts from there:
    • The overall interface is pretty zippy. Menus render quickly.
    • Netflix app is doing horrible - choppy scrolling, screens terrible rendering.
    • The Season Pass mover is insanely great. Now let's do it for recordings.
    • "We're still processing your activation. Try again in 24 hours." I think this is why I can't MRV, and why it's not showing online in my "Find TV Shows" page. Maybe it's the holiday?

I look forward to never seeing the "conflict" screen again. :)

2. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    your experience was considerably better than mine with tw in dfw. neither of my previously working s3 cards worked in the elite and i was on the phone for 6 hours trading hex code back and forth. who knows when i will get service going again.

oh, and i don't share your enthusiasm for the new hd menus--i think they redefine the phrase 'jumbled nightmare' and all the redrawing in different sizes and fonts make my head hurt.

/guy

3. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Well, the whole season pass transfer went not-so-smoothly. All the shows were there, but about half of them were in a state that was weird: each of them showed no upcoming episodes, and had to be deleted. About 1/3 of them showed upcoming episodes, but none slated to record. After I did "change recording options," they all fell into line like they should.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With the Season Passes, if you wait a day or so, any issues should be resolved. The same thing happened to me. I replaced some of them manually and left the rest to see what would happen. By the next evening all the SPs I had left alone were fine.

5. jonbig

jonbig New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Yeah, it takes a few days for a new TiVo to completely download the channel schedule data.

6. Frank_H

Frank_H New Member

May 21, 2011
    Redbeard

I was think about dong the same thing. What did you have to do with Tivo ?

7. Frank_H

Frank_H New Member

May 21, 2011
    Redbeard

I was think about dong the same thing. What did you have to do with Tivo ?

8. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    @RedBeard - did you transfer your membership. I would love to upgrade from an HD to Premiere Elite - but don't want to pay the $500 lifetime membership. I am now 10+ yrs into my original lifetime - transferred once from a Series 2 to the HD 3+ yrs ago - would love to find a way to transfer that lifetime again.

9. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    I did not transfer - I just bought the new box with the $100 discount on lifetime. The old TivoHD is going to ebay this week, I hope.

10. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    when my s3 died and i bought a new elite they would not consider letting me transfer the s3 lifetime membership although they did offer to sell me a refurb s3 and let me put it on the existing membership.

/guy

11. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF

Netflix is perfect on my Elite. It loads quickly and I can immediately fast forward through the entire movie immediately. I am using 2 USB wireless adapters and 1 G adapter (all plugged in at the same time).