ahh.. life is good

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by turbobuick86, Sep 12, 2011.

1. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    Nope, no problems. Our HDTiVo's are doing good. Streaming Netflix, Pandora, and recording OTA. We don't ask for much and have less disappointments. We're not the powerusers like many here, not that there's anything wrong with that... :)

We did get a new fangled LED 3D TV that caused lip sync issues, but not TiVo's fault. Did a workaround til a new AVR is purchased. But the NFL, MLB, and NASCAR never looked so good. Happy as a clam. Are clams just naturally happy?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Same here with our 2 S3's pretty much using the same apps - DVR functionality with Comcast, Netflix, Pandora and TiVo Desktop/pyTivo for transferring shows (and some MRV between TiVo's).

All is great here! :up:

Scott

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Same for me as well.
    I just upgraded my TivoHD. Took out the 1TB (previous upgrade) and put in a 2TB. Just in time for the new season. :p
    Hopefully this will eliminate the need to transfer shows to the PC for extra storage.

4. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Thanks for the original post here. I needed to be reminded...

I'm a S2 and S3 owner who has been frustrated with my cable provider's lack of interest in adding HD channels. I want to switch to DirecTV. But my wife refuses to leave the TiVo interface. (She's tried the D* remote and hates it.) So I've been counting the days until D* announces the release of the new HD DirecTiVo. (One rumor puts it at September 25. This year.)

So I've been caught up in a flurry of educating myself about D* and the options available, while bracing myself for the (minor) trauma of switching to a new system and going through the initial adjustment and working-out-the-bugs stage.

But in all of that, I've definitely overlooked the fact that my current setup is fine. Everything works -- has for years -- and we're on the cusp of another interesting fall TV season. No, we can't yet watch "Project Runway" or "The Walking Dead" in HD. But when you look at the big picture (no pun intended), we're pretty blessed as it is.

And that's just talking about TV/entertainment. Never mind the glorious change to fall that we're starting to see here in Michigan. Things are good. It's easy for me to get caught up in little details and miss that. Thanks for the reminder. (Especially since so many come here because things aren't good!)

Bob

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I am still delighted with my TiVoHDs with OTA but I did add Google TV to assist with avoiding the monthly cable or satellite bill and I am even happier now.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    How many of you happy campers are using TA's and never have problems with them? (e.g., tuning failures on SDV channels or having to call the Cable Co for re-authorization.)

Also, how many of you are on Time Warner Cable?

I miss 1 to 3 recordings per week due to tuning failures on SDV channels.
    I also get occasional freezes, most of which restart after a few seconds. There is never any indication of a problem in DVR diagnostics associated with the freezes, so it's either the signal itself or the TiVo's inability to handle the signal. I can't rate my satisfaction with my TiVo HD as good or excellent given these problems.

However, I still think TiVo is the best (or only) thing available, at anywhere near a competitive overall cost, for my needs. But I'm continually looking and dreaming!

7. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I'm extremely happy with my two Lifetime S3's - everything seems to be working well but I also added a Google TV and just love it. With the addition of my PS3 and WDTV Plus I can do Netflix, Hulu+, browse the web, watch any video online (that isn't blocked), it's a good and useful setup

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'm OTA only, so no, I don't experience those problems.
    And you won't convince me that TiVo deserves all the blame. I'd bet that cable came up with SDV not to save bandwidth, but because they knew it would screw Tivo.
    I am of the belief that the cable companies will do anything they can to be anti-competitive, just short of breaking the law. They use a private system and if the FCC didn't mandate allowing 3rd party devices on their system, TiVo would be SOL.

And yes, I have my tinfoil hat...:p

9. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I ditched my SDV adapters a long time ago to avoid the possibilty of missing shows. I have 3 LT TiVos which function great, two of them have the original HDs and they are connected to MY DVR expander drives. When they finally go I will get 1 TB drives for each.

10. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    When I think of Sat provider all that can think about is a heavy rain or snow fall during a show.

That is why it would be hard for me go with D*.

11. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    A properly aimed, properly sized satellite dish should have no problem with most adverse weather.

Besides, who would want to live where it snows half the year and has gloomy rain and storms the other half of the year? If the economy in the Rust Belt weren't reason enough to leave, the weather surely should be. :p

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If I did that I might as well just cut the cord. At least 2/3 of the shows we like, that aren't available OTA, are on SDV channels.

13. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Maybe your cable provider is better than mine. But I don't think any delivery system is perfect.

Our cable is very much affected by heavy winds/storms, not to mention the twice-annual transit interruptions you get from satellite/sun interactions. Don't forget: Cable companies get their signals from satellites too!

I do think you're buying into the cable-companies' sales pitch a bit, though. Torrential rains can cause pixellation; blizzards can cause pixellation. But typical rainstorms/snowfalls have little to no effect on a satellite signal, assuming everything's installed/adjusted correctly.

By contrast, we've lost cable signals because someone a mile away cut a cable by mistake, because CableCARDS failed, because the cable company delivered a weak signal, etc., etc.

Don't get me wrong: We have great cable service probably 97% of the time. My point is just that no service is perfect. (We're moving to DirecTV because they excel at offering HD channels, and my cable provider does not.)

Bob

14. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    That's a bummer. At least for me I 'm only missing some HD premiums by not using SDV and I can still get those channels in SD.
    There is also a rumor floating around that Cablevision may be doing away with SDV so my problem may be fixed in the near future.

15. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Things are much better here as well. the PS on my TiVo HD died. Got a TiVo HD from ebay ($35) and replaced the PS.
    My wife is now happy, so am I.

As for the Satellite deal with weather. I installed both of our dishes (DTV). One in W.NY. one in SE.NC. We get much more "interference" in NC due to rain than in NY.
    I wonder if it has to do with the angle?

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You say the PS on your TiVo HD died... what exactly were the symptoms? Did it not power up AT ALL?

17. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Google TV? Never heard of that... You have this on your Tivo?

18. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    It is a separate box or comes built in with an HDTV and used for streaming internet video and audio as well as a Chrome web browser. I believe Google TV has far and away the greatest potential in the smart TV product category. It is off to a slow start as far as market and critical reaction but I love mine and expect it to only get better. Although marketed and designed to be used with a cable or satellite STB, for me it is part of the solution to avoid a monthly cable or satellite bill.

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I believe the Logitech Revue Google TV box is also a DLNA client, i.e., can stream your videos from a DLNA server onto your TV.

20. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    It can and so can the other Google TV devices but audio and video codec support is very limited so far. As a media player or DLNA client it probably gets very low marks, it is called Google TV, not Google Media Center. I don't have anything to stream since it can't stream TiVo recordings so that is of no interest to me anyway now. This is also one of the areas big improvement is hoped for when Honeycomb arrives.

I can say the one time I used it as a media player, it did a nice job. My girlfriend had a video of an activity she participated in during a recent trip to Canada, a zip line trip through a rural area with a camera on her head, 1080p MPEG-4 at a pretty high bitrate. I shoot AVCHD and have Blu-ray players that handle that just fine but this video was on a USB drive and nothing I tried would play it from the drive, not a PS3, not an Oppo BDP-80 and my PC wasn't powerful enough to play the video without stutters, unwatchable. I connected it to the Revue and it played flawlessly so it has processing power to handle high quality video.