After power cycles... Tivo HD boots to gray screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by soonerbrink, Aug 27, 2019.

1. soonerbrink

soonerbrink New Member

Aug 27, 2019

Advertisements

Tivo HD boots to gray screen. Any suggestions on what might need to be replaced based on the pictures?

Other info: 1tb my book external drive is attached.
    Power went out last night, My APC J10 worked seamlessly to provide backup power. I needed to save some of the power for other devices, so I later unplugged the tivo. (I have unplugged Tivo several times of the years with no issues). Power came back on and I plugged in Tivo and it would just boot to gray screen (I tried this several times). Unhooked all connections, opened it up and took pictures. Hopefully someone can help with suggestions!

Attached Files:

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Many things can fail here.... the external drive, the external case, the connections between the drive and the Tivo, the internal drive, and mainly.... the capacitors in the power supply. Your recordings are at risk with this setup.

3. soonerbrink

soonerbrink New Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Recordings at risk.... in that there is no backup?

I dusted out the case, removed the hard drive and power supply board and reinstalled, check them over and cleaned out the dust underneath them. Checked the connections and plugged it back in and it started right up. Pretty odd considering I tried it about 5 different times throughout the day.

We will see how long it lasts..... I won't be unplugging it anytime soon!

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you want to preserve your recorded shows, and they are not copy-protected, You can use KMTTG/PyTivo to download them to your computer....

Then, remove the external drive and boot it back up to fully divorce it.

Back up with WinMFS to make an image file.

You would need to replace the internal drive since its the original and its 10 yrs old. Replace it with a WD Red 2TB (WD20EFRX). This is the max that Tivo can handle. Connect to the PC and restore the image to it, MFSAdd, Supersize. Plop it in the Tivo and now you have more space then you currently have. Your recordings are now much less at risk of loss then using 2 drives.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. soonerbrink

soonerbrink New Member

Aug 27, 2019

Advertisements

We sure wouldn't want to lose the 100 episodes of daniel tiger (which has me wondering is 100 the max number of episodes one show will record, because it's been at 100 for awhile)

Sounds like I could probably just sell the external one, as 2GB would be more than I need. Probably need a hard drive dock to backup the internal one... unless there is a way to transfer all the tivo files to the external one... but I haven't noticed that in the options before.

Thanks!

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can hook the drive(s) to SATA or USB and WinMFS can see it. Just don't let Windows format it.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Capacitors, you need to replace them, that's one of the classic grey screen causes and those look original, there's a sticky at the top of the forum about it, but I see one questionable, but if they've never been replaced, they're going to be failing and the odds of saving your recordings drop if the bad caps cause HDD corruption issues.

jmbach, jrtroo, Teeps and 1 other person like this.
  8. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    I have a tivoHD that has one job in life, record young and the restless
    It has an upgraded disk from years back, and currently have over 680 episodes recorded to be watch eventually, all the way back to 2016

9. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Yep!
    What Diane says.

jrtroo likes this.
  10. soonerbrink

soonerbrink New Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Is there a recommended place to buy all the capacitors I need in one lot as a reasonable price?

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Honestly? I just order them from Amazon since with prime free shipping I have them all in a few days, I could go and order them from digikey or mouser but Amazon is just simple and done.

12. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    In 2013 I ordered caps for my 648250 TiVo from Mouser Electronics, total cost was $12.18 including shipping.
    www.mouser.com

jmbach likes this.
  13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The HD model had 2 power supply options so you need to find out which one you have so you can order the correct capacitors. There are a number of posts on part numbers which you should be able to find in some of the links below.

Tivo Series 3 - Bad capacitors in power supply

Series 3 Tivo HD Capacitor List

Scott

14. soonerbrink

soonerbrink New Member

Aug 27, 2019

1. Is KMTTG/PyTivo used to back up the internal drive while the internal drive is still in the Tivo? Or does this backup everything on both the internal and external drives?
    2. Then I turn off the tivo, physically disconnect the external hard drive from the tivo and then reboot the tivo.
    3. Then I use WinMFS to backup the external hard drive I disconnect to the PC. (This makes me thin, it "1." that the process only backups the internal, or why would I backup the external twice?)
    4. Then I remove the internal drive from the Tivo and connect it to the PC and restore the image to it. What is MFSAdd? (is it the file name or internal backup from KMTTG/PYTivo, or is it the backup of the external hard drive? Is 'supersize' the selection I need to make to allow the Tivo to fully utilize the full TB of the new drive?.
    5. From the instructions, it appears to me, there is one image I restore to it. Is this the image from KMTTG/PyTivo, or from the external backup? (because if it's the external backup, how would the internal backups be included in this same image.

I just want to make sure I do this right, because I don't want to ruin my lifetime subscription and I don't want to lose all of my videos. Thanks for the help!

15. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    You do have one other option. It is not as easy as WinMFS but it is not that hard either.

You could use MFSTools 3.2 or above to copy both internal and external drives on to one internal drive. You would have to have all three drives hooked to your computer while you run MFSTools (which is a Linux program)

ClearToLand likes this.
  16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    KMTTG and PyTivo is a program to copy/transfer shows on the Tivo to PC. Technically it is not a backup, but it makes the shows playable on the PC.

WinMFS and other programs need to have the hard drive out of the Tivo and connected to the PC to copy/backup the entire drive. MFSAdd is a function in WinMFS that adds the extra space for use that the image did not add previously. Same for MFSTools.

17. soonerbrink

soonerbrink New Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Looks like it might be just easier to roll the dice and the kids might outgrow the tv shows in the next year by the time it fails. If a hard drive fails, is it as simple as plugging a new one in, and starting over fresh, or does something have to be done to the new hard drive first?

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you mean to format it on a computer first, before WinMFS, no.

19. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Depending on what drive fails... external or internal. If external fails, you divorce it from the internal via on screen prompts. If the internal fails, you may require a new image to restore it. (Excpet for Roamios and Bolts as they self format the drive.)

20. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    And you would have to have both drives hooked to WinMFS to back it up unless you want lost recordings.

If you divorce your external drive from your current setup you will lose recordings. That is why kmttg is recommended to back up all your recordings if you go that route.

Not sure the WinMFS commands but the MFSTools command to do your copy with all drives hooked to your computer would be mfscopy -ai /dev/internal:/dev/external /dev/target. You replace internal, external, target with the Linux name of those drives (sda, sdb, sdc, sde, ...)

This will copy both drives to the single drive without loss of recordings.

Basic instructions can be found in my post with the ISO of MFSTools 3.32 in the MFSTools 3.2 thread.