1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After nearly 2 decades, I'm ditching TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GaryD9, Jun 11, 2018.

1. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    @TiVo_Ted, I'm calling your attention to this explicitly, as one of the reasons I'm canceling my TiVo service (I pay monthly) on one of my DVR's is an issue I reported here, that you promised to look into, and hasn't been responded to at all since (thumb buttons not working in lists on hydra.)

My cable provider is comcast and I get the choice between a "free" cablecard rental or a "free" X1 DVR. I've used the cablecard and also pay TiVo $12.99/month for their service. Up until very recently, that extra cost was worth it for the things that TiVo offered which made it better than a simple DVR.

The most important of those "extra things" for me is suggestions. The luxury of not having to record every episode of my favorite shows, but being assured of having at least a few episodes floating in the Suggestions has always made TiVo wonderful.

With Hydra, all that changed. Now, my "suggestions" list is filled with over 1500 things that aren't in any way related to shows I actually like. In fact, the more cartoons I give thumbs DOWN to, the more TiVo seems to be recording as suggestions. It also seems to really like recording news/talk shows and westerns (both of which I've given lots of thumbs down to.)

Added to that, the current "hydra" software makes it VERY difficult to give any thumbs up or down to shows, because the thumb buttons no longer work most lists! Instead of scrolling through the suggestions list tapping the thumbs up/down buttons to mark shows I know I like or don't like, I have to actually start watching the show to give it a thumb!

I think the final straw was TiVo's "award winning customer support" (which might actually rival Comcast for being bad.) Reporting the "thumbs" issue, I got an email response (after several days) with PDF attachments describing how to reboot my TiVo and how to use suggestions. I responded that TiVo should actually read my issue as this is a problem with the software that rebooting won't help, and that I'm actually quite fluent with suggestions. They responded several days later with the EXACT SAME CANNED RESPONSE I got the first time. Finally, the third response suggested that the software is working properly but that I could make a suggestion to change it. (If it helps, the case number is/was 07928263.)

Really? I get that level of customer support for free with comcast.

avaddict and JACKASTOR like this.
  2. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    I hear ya. I've kept all my Tivos on Encore for this among many other reasons. I'll tell you this though, there still isn't a better DVR out there. I've tested most of the others. Heck, if I could build a better DVR I'd do it and say to heck with all this.

samccfl99, avaddict and kpeters59 like this.
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thank you for letting him know, rather than simply spitting into the wind.

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Maybe a downgrade back the old UI would be in order.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    There was a time when I'd be on board with that. That was back when guide data was reliable, bugs were fixed, and customer support was at least competent. Now, I can't help but to ask why I should have to lose all my recorded shows and jumps through hoops for the privilege of paying 12.99+tax a month.

As well, based on postings I've seen from TiVo, TiVo seems to think that these new "suggestions" are a good thing and that the thumb buttons really should be rendered inoperative in lists of programs. That scares me. Just as commercial skip came to the old UI, I'm afraid that the other "improvements" might also get back ported.

slowbiscuit likes this.
  6. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Why did you upgrade in the first place?

aaronwt, UCLABB and kpeters59 like this.
  7. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    BOLT VOX... (It instantly updates to hydra on initial setup.)

8. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    When did you become aware that you could downgrade?

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    It’s the same canned responses to Netflix issues where they don’t fix the problem but play hot potatoe with who is at fault. You just gone round and round till they drop it. And they drop it more often then nought these days. Still waiting to get the 4K playability in my Netflix to be fixed. Good luck one way or the other..

10. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Fake news. Again, you need only select the show, not start playing it, to give a thumbs rating.

11. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    If you say so. Maybe that’s how it works for you. Maybe it doesn’t for him. I’m pretty sure he’s not an idiot.

12. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    I didn't say he's an idiot, I said he doesn't need to play an item to give it a thumbs rating. Since we both have the same software, it does indeed work that way for him.

13. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    Well now THIS is interesting. I just tried it again to confirm, and now merely selecting the show is indeed not enough. Cheerfully retracted.

And a cheerful hello to the script kiddies Rovi is using as programmers.

14. foghorn2

foghorn2 Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Sorry to see you go. Franlky i could careless about suggestions and tu/td features.

samccfl99 and UCLABB like this.
  15. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    .. enough said.

BTW, please consider that the term "fake news" is basically calling someone a liar. While that might be the current trend in US politics, it's not something polite people would do.

moonscape, MMG and avaddict like this.
  16. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Yes you can select the show and give it a thumbs rating when the show is in a pictured square. When it's in the my shows folder, including sSuggestions that have been recorded, I believe you need to start playing it ( because it's not in a picture square).

17. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    Do let us know how Comcast works out for you.

18. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    Retraction cheerfully retracted. You absolutely do not need to play the recording. Instead of selecting it, hit info. Thumbs work there, just tested it.

The claim that a suggestion must be played is fake news.

kpeters59 likes this.
  19. GaryD9

GaryD9 Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh,...
    Wow. So you found an alternative that's almost as convoluted as having to start playing the show... and for that you want to call me a liar. So much for polite company. I'm unable to verify your claim, but unlike you I won't try to discredit someone before I actually test. As well, regardless of any testing outcome, I won't get down to the level of personal insults.

To be honest, though, it never occurred to me (and is non-intuitive) to press "info" while in the suggestions list. Typically, a person will press "Select" to read information about a show. (thumbs won't work after pressing 'select' from the list.)

As well, it doesn't even matter. When I have to deal with a list of over 1000 shows that TiVo has randomly decided to record, 90% of which are horrible suggestions (for me), I should be able to walk through the list pressing thumb buttons from the list without having to start playing the show, or pressing specific sequences of buttons to get to a place where I can use a 'thumb' button.

I don't think any reasonable person would argue this.