After moving houses, some thoughts

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WizarDru, Jun 24, 2011.

1. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    We just recently bought a new house and moved. Since we have Verizon FIOS, that required a call to Verizon (duh) and then a request for new service. Fiber was run and a truck roll scheduled. I have a TiVo Premier and a TiVo HD. Some thoughts:

1) DEAR TIVO: FORCING THE PREMIER TO NOT SHOW CONTENT UNLESS YOU HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION IS ONE OF THE STUPIDEST THINGS YOU HAVE EVER DESIGNED. When we moved houses, prior to our connection being moved, I was comforted that we'd have saved shows to watch until we got cable restored. So imagine my horror when my Tivo Premier said: "Hey, no Internet connection! NO MENUS FOR YOU!" I was unaware of this 'feature' of the premier. Luckily, some googling while on hold at this very location revealed how to switch to the SD menus, which magically restored all my content. If that's a bug, it should be fixed. If it's meant as content-protection, to what end? I mean, if I didn't have the HD menus enabled, it wouldn't have done anything.

2) Tivo got us through the cable drought handily, thankyouverymuch. I still luvs my TiVos.

3) I really wish that Netflix or TiVo or both would improve the Netflix app on the TiVo. It's the weakest implementation on any device I own and that's unfortunate, since it's the device I'd most prefer to use it on. If it could just match my Sony BD player (which was upgraded by firmware earlier this year) or the Wii, I'd be happy. I don't even need all the features, just something more than the interface released when it was the first device to get it.

4) The FIOS installer clearly knew his way around TiVos. He reactivated the smart cards AND got me an 'M' card for my TiVO HD, replacing the two S cards that I've been using. I have to admit, my two FIOS installs were both better than my last Comcast install by a country mile.

No big rants, here, btw. I still dig my TiVos big time and my opinion of their support is generally pretty good. Just mentioning how it went. :)

2. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    The terrible programming which causes 1 is also a good part of the reason the hdui lags a bit as well.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :confused:
    I'll typically take a Premiere to my girlfriends house when i visit so we can watch some shows. Sometimes I'll forget the TiVo wireless adapter or a wireless Bridge. When there has been no internet connection it has never stopped us from using the Premiere. The only issues i've seen is the bar up top is not there and you can't see the info from the shows since that info is pulled from online. Otherwise it's always worked fine without an internet connection for us. I've always kept it on the HD menus and the menus were there when there was no internet connection.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I've had #1 several times now, most recently during a power/cable outage over several days. Is this something new? I seem to remember having my wireless adapter became unplugged in the winter and I was still able to watch my shows.

5. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    I don't know. I was confused how TiVo could make a box that does this. Then I searched the forums here and found that it's poor programming in the HDUI, apparently. It searches for the channel icons or something and if it can't find them, it shows NOTHING under the shows and it wouldn't let me get to ANY submenus.

I found the code to switch it to the SD UI (that someone here had gotten when they had this problem) and everything went back to normal.