After Life (Netflix) Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, May 7, 2020.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    [no spoilers in this first post; you're on your own after this...]

Season Two of After Life was released on Netflix a couple weeks ago. There is an S1 thread here, but since it's labeled S1, I didn't want to bump it. Just in the last couple days, it was announced that After Life has been renewed for a third season, so I've labeled this as a generic season thread, so we can continue to use it.

If you liked S1, you will love S2. The same witty banter, the same incredibly moving emotions, the same "where does he get these characters from" cast. Every single episode is moving, but the last couple are really gut-wrenching. And the music is fantastic. We have the advantage this season of knowing most of the characters already, so he really focuses on developing them, deepening our understanding of them. Ricky Gervais writes this himself. It's amazing how in a 2-3 minute scene, you feel like he's gotten to the core of a person.

I can't rave enough. Just go watch it.

Only six episodes, about 30 mins each, so it's an easy binge. I rarely binge, but this was so good, I watched it in two sittings.

Edit: wording (thanks zyzzx)

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    lynncosbm likes this.
  2. zyzzx

zyzzx Go Bucks! TCF Club

Jan 22, 2002
    Severna...
    Instead of ‘dropped’ I tend to use ‘was released.’

I’m 2 episodes into season 2. I’ll probably watch the rest this weekend.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not a Ricky Gervais fan per SE, but I thoroughly enjoy this. I thought S2 was much darker than S1, as Ricky seems to have fallen back into being close to suicidal again. I think this is a show that proves you can be dark and really funny at the same time. A lot of popular shows these days tend to be "dark" comedies yet the funny often seems to be missing. And to me it's all about the characters. As you said, Ricky has gotten to the heart of each character, what makes the tick and so forth. You feel you have known them all your life.

His brother in law's "bro" shrink cracks me up. I like the mailman and hooker friend have hooked up. And I like his relationships with everyone. You can tell he's the gruff the gruff character with a HUGE heart. I highly recommend this show.

lynncosbm likes this.
  4. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    The psychiatrist is one part of the show I could do without.

5. Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Just finished season 2, loved every minute of it.

lynncosbm likes this.
  6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    He's such a despicable person that watching the reaction of his brother in law when he goes off on his misogynistic rants just cracks me up.