After Drive Replaced in Roamio Guide Channel Guide looks Different

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Michael Miranda, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Michael Miranda

Michael Miranda New Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Charlotte, NC

Advertisements

I had a situation where I thought the drive in my 2 year old Roamio failed so I had a spare 1TB drive in a PC that I wasn't using so I tried it but it didn't work. I decided I had nothing to lose so I erased the Tivo 1TB drive and put it back in and it worked fine and has been working for a few days now. The only thing is the guide is black and larger and I'm sure it used to be blue with a much more refined look. I don't seem to have some of the options to change how the guide looks that I have read about. Is this something that was lost when I erased the drive? Not a big deal, at least it's working, I'm just being picky!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. Michael Miranda

Jan 21, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    That's it! Software starts with 21 and looks like TE4. I'm used to TE3, just a personal preference. TE3 looks more refined to me. I was able to get my Roamio working again at zero cost so no complaints here. Thanks for the answer!

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Should you wish to change back, just follow the thread in my post or: How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

5. Michael Miranda

Jan 21, 2019
    Charlotte, NC

Advertisements

What is your opinion on it? You mentioned other differences and so far I haven't detected anything major. I'm trying to be fair and give it a chance. I'm running a 46000 OTA with 1GB green drive.

Yes I saw the thread on how to roll back after you identified the issue. Thanks for your patience on what for you is a very old subject!

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There are many sides to this as there are threads. I have both, on Roamio boxes, and don't really care. It records and plays which is all I care about.

tommiet and Michael Miranda like this.
  7. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Vanilla or chocolate? :rolleyes:

The only opinion that matters is yours. If you haven't detected anything major, then you don't use any of the TE3 features that were taken away in TE4. If you did, you would know... :eek:

Michael Miranda likes this.
  8. Michael Miranda

Jan 21, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    Agreed! Probably best to stay with the latest anyway. As long as it works, I'm not that concerned. In the back of my mind I don't want to have to do it again if I decide to move to a larger hard drive, not that it's a big deal.

I guess the Edge has the same look? I have one that belongs to a friend of mine and will hook it up when he brings over a wireless adapter. He bought it and never used it so he's going to let me use it.

9. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Many times you've asked folks to press the 'Info' button when first powering up a new TiVo in Guided Setup and to let you know what OS came with it. I did not forget to check when I recently powered up, for the first time, a Roamio OTA 500GB w/Lifetime that I bought back in November 2017 (just hadn't found that 'Round Tuit', what with my health problems and the general worldwide situation, yada, yada, yada).

And, on the previous FIVE Roamio OTAs (and one Basic), it was always an earlier version of TE3 that immediately wanted to upgrade itself to the current version. With this OTA, the 'Info' button was ignored and I was alarmed right off-the-bat when I saw a grey background with a large right-pointing arrow on the screen. Many minutes later I was greeted with my first exposure to TE4. Makes one think that they're using a brand-spanking-new streaming device of some sort. :( :thumbsdown:

Too many buttons presses to retrieve too little information, IMHO. Just like moving from Windows 2K to XP to Vista to 7! :D So far, with Windows, I can get most things back to a familiar 'Classic' setting but I have 2 PCs with 10 that I haven't even tried to yet. Plus, forcing updates down the user's throat (and quite often breaking things in the process) is not my cup of tea.

As for TE4, I'm not voting it down, nor am I voting TE3 up - as you stated, this topic has been beat to death (insert :beating dead horse emoji: here). I tried transferring several shows to the 'new' TE4 TiVo. Had to use online - PITA. Tried 2 shows, got duplicates for both. Tried 1 show, got duplicate. Tried 2 more shows, got a duplicate for one. Looked for 'Transfer History' - gone. Haven't even checked for the '11 Minute Transfer Problem' yet...

AutoSkip (in the bedroom where the 3 'not connected to FiOS' overflow / storage TiVos reside) was 'nice' so I went and turned it back on in kmttg for the Basic 'connected to FiOS' in the living room. But, pressing a button *ONCE* ain't all that hard either. So much talk about Skip Mode missing - folks should be more worried about TiVo / RoVi / 'whatever they're called' DISAPPEARING completely and having a house full of doorstops. :eek: Somehow, when that day eventually comes, I don't foresee a generous 'ReplayTV Scenario', where, before they shut the lights for the last time, they turn over a "Secret Key" that lets the ReplayTV hobbyist / volunteer developers write a program to continue getting Guide Data and keep 'Lifetime' units online, setting their clocks and generally working as usual.

Time waits for no one... (it's always moving forward, whether for good, or for bad)

Michael Miranda likes this.