After a couple decades - looks like TiVo is done for me

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Sep 3, 2020 #1 of 68
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

My wife wanted to save some money so she decided to jump from Fios to Spectrum. The switch was painful - mostly driven by the TiVo. Two weeks stuck on the guided setup, dozens of calls with TiVo and Spectrum - the TiVo would make it through initial connection with TiVo servers, but fail at validation. Spectrum blaming TiVo, TiVo blaming Spectrum.

Since I never actually cancelled the Fios, last night in a fit of anger, I pulled out all the spectrum equipment and set the Fios router back up. Flippin still stuck on guided setup. (I guess that answers who was at fault)

Well, I spent another a few hours online with TiVo this afternoon, running Kickstart several times before they finally gave up and told me i would have to send it to Weeknees to check for hardware issues.

I think it is time to just cut the cord.

I am going to head out and pick up a couple Apple TV’s and save a few bucks in the long run.

I have really loved my TiVo’s and was a true advocate for a very, very long time. I am not excited about this change - but with TiVo dropping Plex - i was going to need an additional streaming box anyway.

23A54AD7-936B-4026-85FB-D47D57CCEF06.jpeg

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  2. Sep 3, 2020 #2 of 68
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    So YouTube TV or just on-demand streaming services?

3. Sep 3, 2020 #3 of 68
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

Yeah - YouTube TV. Trying it out now...

It isn’t as easy to navigate as TiVo, but it has the content I want to watch and frankly, it is cheaper than linear cable.

4. Sep 4, 2020 #4 of 68
    Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I had a ton of issues setting up my TiVo Bolt with Spectrum when I moved to and area with lots of trees blocking DirecTV satellite and Spectrum was my only option. In the end it turned out to be wonky cable cards. I got it to the point where I am only missing a few channels, like one of the 15 - 20 HBO channels.

With YouTube TV can you fast forward or skip commercials? Or do you pretty much have to watch live TV?

5. Sep 4, 2020 #5 of 68
    Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

@bradleys if you still want the DVR experience, you may want to take a look at Channels DVR which has grown into what TiVo could be if the company still cared about DVR customers. We love it and are pretty much transitioned off TiVo.

Channels runs on an NAS or PC and is viewed via apps on Apple TV, Fire TV, Android, or iOS. You can get FIOS via either of their reception options (a good ol' CableCard in an HD HomeRun box, and via the internet with "TV Everywhere"/TVE), though it doesn't access premiums like HBO which you'd have to get separately via apps.

Having said that, YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, and others offer "cloud DVR" services too. There are trade-offs with every alternative, but it's all worth looking into. You'll find threads here on TiVo Alternatives and cord-cutting options galore.

Edit: I forgot, Channels dropped Roku

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    richsadams likes this.
  6. Sep 4, 2020 #6 of 68
    KLINK

KLINK Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Is there a way to get Quick Mode with Channels? I have been using Channels DVR for several months and use Com. Skip, but I have not found a Quick Mode.

7. Sep 4, 2020 #7 of 68
    Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Not yet. Also no slow mode. These have been requested on the Channels Community forum. I've no idea if they're on the roadmap, but new Channels DVR features are regularly introduced.

8. Sep 4, 2020 #8 of 68
    KLINK

KLINK Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Thanks for the info.

9. Sep 4, 2020 #9 of 68
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Ordered the 4 K steam just to test it out and see how it works...

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    4 K steam ??? Is this a typo, or what is it? Googling just reveals a software service for gaming, nothing that would be a substitute for TiVo and cable TV.

BTW let me put in a plug for YouTube TV. I’ve been using it for 10 months now and it’s quite acceptable. So nice to be free of Spectrum and TiVo poor customer service and Spectrum’s insulting rate increases and hours on the phone getting them reduced. Not to mention having to reboot a Tuning Adapter every few weeks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    wendlan likes this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, obviously.

TiVo Stream 4K

12. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    In other threads the OP reported he put his TiVos in storage and went on to compare Apple TV and the TiVo Stream 4K. @dlfl yes that includes a trial of YTTV, good recommendation (and by the way Steam is a great gaming platform). So far he prefers the Stream 4K over the ATV because of the remotes. But now he's battling his way through the new and still buggy Stream 4K interface, so I guess the jury is still out:

Help! How do I get out of the TiVo app

@bradleys looking forward to a full report!

13. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Wouldn't it be worth it just to throw another hard drive in there to check it out before making such a drastic change?

I don't remember for sure (I never use my Roamio Plus any more), but can't you make it go through the setup process without a cable card? If it can't do that, it's the hard drive most likely, I'd think.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You remember correctly. A cable card is not required to run Guided Setup. Just indicate "install later". I have a two Roamio boxes running without cards.

15. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    So you're replacing the cord, not cutting it. At some point you will realize that the value proposition of the cord makes no sense, even with cord replacement services. I did and I have more than I can possibly watch on my Roamio OTA and with OTT SVOD services.

mschnebly and Resist like this.
  16. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    This is so true! I always laugh when I read stories about how people "cut the cord", yet end up paying just as much with online content providers. I can't even say I cut the cord with cable because while I cancelled my TV service with them, I still have internet through them.

17. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    My monthly savings looks to be about $150 a month after killing cable and phone and picking up Sling Blue. I will probably add the expanded Cloud DVR, so call it $145.

I already had Netflix so that was a sunk cost. There is absolutely nothing I will watch on OTA television. I don’t watch sports... So, yeah, saving a buck and a half a month isn’t chump change.

My kids are all off to college now and our viewing habits just haven’t kept up with the cost proposition.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  18. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

I will throw a new hard drive in it to see if I can get it back to the main menus before selling the whole kit and caboodle

19. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I had the Apple TV in the bedroom and the Tivo Stream 4K in the family room all setup and configured. I had free trials of both Sling TV and YTTV enabled and asked my wife to use both platforms and let me know what she preferred. TS4K - $50, Apple TV - $200

As expected, she liked the Android TV platform used by the Stream better than the Apple TV. She didn’t like either the Apple TV UI or the remote.

You know the one thing that really sold me on the TiVo Stream? A damn off button on the remote! In general I prefer the UI and the physical remote on the TS4K, but no off button on the ATV really killed it for me. I know, wait 5 minutes and CEC will shut the tv off, but when I want to go to sleep, I don’t want to wait 5 minutes and I don’t want to go looking for a second remote.

The only real issue I have is the TV in my family room is a little older and does not have ARC HDMI. So neither the TV nor the TS4K can directly control the sound bar volume levels (neither can the ATV). As I said, I really hate using two remotes, but this will have to do until I upgrade that tv to a new 4K TV. I thought I might be able to use a Bluetooth connection Between the TS4K and the Visio sound bar - but I do not think it is meant to work that way or that it would be the best experience.

Looking at the channels available that we watch and the tighter integration with the TS4K, we chose to stick with the cheaper Sling Blue package plus the cloud DVR upgrade @ $35 a month

As I said in an earlier post - my savings will be about $150 a month using this setup. I really hate making this change, i had everything working the way i wanted it and was an early adopter of TiVo’s, bit cable has gotten crazy expensive and paying for two girls to go to college requires sacrifice! Lol

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  20. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

I thought about getting a TiVo OTA, but there is literally nothing on OTA that I will watch, the OTT apps on TiVo are subpar and slow - and as a big Plex user, TiVo losing Plex as an app was the final straw. I was going to have to get a streaming device anyway, so I might as well just fully make the switch.