after 9.4update, can't use TiVoHD with dvr expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dubluv, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1 of 105
    dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...

Advertisements

after receiving the new summer update yesterday, my tivoHD with dvr expander operated properly for just an hour or so. the box would restart and hang on the first powering up screen and stay there. forcing a reboot just repeated the process. since i had some issues seemingly related to the expander, i powered the expander down, and got the blue screen on restart saying the external storage device wasn't found. after 3 unsuccessful restarts failed to get me back to normal, i opted to divorce the expander. now, the unit is working flawlessly, just like my other tivoHD that does not have an expander. so, i am hoping this is a known issue, and they're working on it. before 9.4, at least i was able to use the expander, with only occaisional lockups. i was then able to get the box to work again after a forced reboot.

this is very annoying, as i paid over $200 for the expander and now it may just be another brick like my hd dvd player.:(

2. Aug 4, 2008 #2 of 105
    atlynch

atlynch Person

Jan 7, 2005
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Have you checked your cables lately? Make sure the eSata cable and the powercables are seated properly. I don't think there is a systemic problem with MyDVR Expanders as mine seems to be working fine.

-D

3. Aug 4, 2008 #3 of 105
    tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I agree with atlynch, check the cables (and make sure the MYy DVR expandes is powered up before your restart the Tivo. My DVR-E is working just fine as well

4. Aug 4, 2008 #4 of 105
    dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    why would the cable be suspect, if it was working fine with the 9.3 software? the only change that was made was the new update, otherwise nothing was touched. i'm guessing the expander could be defective somehow, but it just seems odd that as soon as the new update hit, i had problems, and these problems dissappeared as soon as i unhooked the expander.

5. Aug 4, 2008 #5 of 105
    JStew

JStew Member

Oct 1, 2007

Advertisements

I'm in the same boat you're in. The day after the download, I got the same message. I've ordered a new eSATA II cable but had to divorce the expander in order to use the Tivo. I lost 43 shows which does nothing for my blood pressure. Hopefully the new cable will fix the problem, but it won't bring back the shows I wanted to watch.

6. Aug 4, 2008 #6 of 105
    lostinplace

lostinplace New Member

May 24, 2006
    I had exactly the same problem.

I got the 9.4 update, and my TivoHD started random rebooting. Shortly after that, it just got hung up on the Welcome screen.

I divorced the expander, and now the TivoHD works fine.

Nothing changed with the cable (the expander is behind the TV, out of reach of the kids, wife, cleaning lady, etc). The 9.4 update -- circumstantially anyway -- seems, to me, to be the culprit.

7. Aug 4, 2008 #7 of 105
    cdp1276

cdp1276 Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Portland, OR
  8. Aug 4, 2008 #8 of 105
    brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    I received the 9.4 update and started experiencing lockups and reboots which had never happened before. Spent more than an hour on the phone with TiVo customer support and came to the conclusion that the problem was the WD DVR Expander. Divorced the expander and the problem went away.

Of course, TiVo says it's WD's repsonsibility to make sure that the expander is compatible with TiVo SW update even though there's no way I'm aware of to do a firmware update of the expander once it's been married to the TiVo (even if an update were available - which there isn't). My reply to them, which falls on deaf ears, is that this might be a legitimate argument if I were given the option of accepting the software upload, but since I'm forced to accept it it's TiVo's responsibility to make sure the new software doesn't break anything that was working previously. As you might guess TiVo doesn't share my opinion.

Basically, TiVo says "you're S.O.L and it sucks to be you."

Since a TiVo HD is relatively useless with its stock capacity, I consider expanded storage capacity a requirement for the device. As such I've simply replaced my TiVo's internal drive with a WD10EVCS 1TB drive and am back in business.

I have had 6 TiVo's (1-S1, 2-S2, 2-HD, 1-S3) of which I've decomissioned the S1 and one of the S2's. I love the functionality of the TiVo and for the most part they just work, but it's times like this where I just want to say F#ck 'Em. Unfortunately, there's not another solution out there that works nearly as well for the average (read - my wife and kids) user.

This is the second unit I've had that died following a software update and I'm certain this latest problem is the same as the previous problem. My understanding of TiVo's software upload process is that there are two partitions on the hard drive utilized for the operating system (once you marry an e-sata drive it's like you just have one big drive). The new software load is uploaded into the inactive partition and then the bootstrap points to the new partition. Unfortunately, the software update process doesn't seem to do much to verify the integrity of the inactive partition so if it has a bad sector you can get bad results when the boot partition switches (eg, freezes, lockups, failure to boot, etc). TiVo's attitude is that it's a hardware failure - to bad for you. So when that happens, and you have lifetime subscription on the unit, you just replace the harddrive and move on.

9. Aug 4, 2008 #9 of 105
    dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    i replaced the harddrive in my humax S2, but i'm not so sure about doing it in the tivoHD. once you've replaced the stock drive with the new larger drive, how do you get the tivo software/operating system on it? and how hard is it to do?

10. Aug 4, 2008 #10 of 105
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I would say it isn't even close to the number of complaints about dead boxes compared to other updates. In fact, I would venture to say the failure rate is still about the same. Of course when you have 2 hard drives you are doubling your chance of failure so it isn't unusual to see issues like this crop up.

11. Aug 4, 2008 #11 of 105
    brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    This thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784 will tell you everything you need to know about increasing a systems capacity. If you have a TiVo HD with a bad DVR expander simply divorce the expander (boot the TiVo without it connected and say "yes" to the prompts) and then use MFS tools to copy the old drive to the new, larger one.

If you have a bad internal drive you can buy a good "image" for your particular TiVo and use that to format the new, larger drive.

12. Aug 6, 2008 #12 of 105
    JStew

JStew Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Has anyone tried a kickstart 54 after losing their expander once they've downloaded 9.4? I've replaced my eSATA cable (another 13 bucks wasted) and attempted a kickstart 54. According to that, my primary drive is fine, but the expansion drive gets as far as 90% on the short test and locks up. There's no pass or fail, just a lock-up at 90%. Just in time for the Olympics!!!

13. Aug 6, 2008 #13 of 105
    cdp1276

cdp1276 Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I have run the kickstart 54 in long mode (not the overnight mode yet) and didn't see where you could tell the internal drive from the expansion. However mine seemed to finish and had a green text that said test passed I think or something. However I had to pull the plug and reboot it to get back to normal. Is that the way it should end?

Also my issues I believe are related to the expander since the v9.4 update but didn't lose the drive that I know of.

14. Aug 6, 2008 #14 of 105
    Voix

Voix New Member

Aug 1, 2008
    I've had my TiVo HD for about two weeks. Yesterday I received a DVR Expander which I purchased from Amazon. Upon startup, the TiVo gets stuck on the "Welcome, Powering Up..." screen. The TiVo boots fine if I disconnect the DVR Expander.

I've scheduled a return on the DVR Expander and a replacement is on the way. What are my chances that the new DVR Expander is going to work?

15. Aug 6, 2008 #15 of 105
    mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    My expanded HD works fine still and I have had 9.4 for over a week now.

16. Aug 6, 2008 #16 of 105
    dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    when you say, "expanded", are you saying a larger internal drive, or a 2nd drive or a dvr expander? and if you did mean a larger, internal drive, did you put the tivo sytem on it, or transfer your stock drive to the new bigger drive?

17. Aug 6, 2008 #17 of 105
    brewman

brewman Member

Jun 28, 2003
    It is clear to me that TiVo does not handle hard drive problems (internal or external) well. We're not talking about major disk crashes, but a bad sector on an inactive boot partition seems to be just as fatal as heads bouncing off platters - only takes longer to show up.

That being said, if you plan to expand the capacity of your TiVo and are not afraid to install a hard drive in a PC, then don't introduce a second point-of-failure by using an external or second internal drive until you have max'd out the single internal drive.

18. Aug 6, 2008 #18 of 105
    JStew

JStew Member

Oct 1, 2007
    You should see two columns - one is the internal drive and the other is the external. It will run checks on both and you'll see the word "Pass" in green once it passes the tests. I saw that both drives passed the first test but on the second, the external drive froze on me.

I've contacted Western Digital and have a new drive coming. Not a happy camper especially with the Olympics beginning on Friday.

19. Aug 6, 2008 #19 of 105
    cdp1276

cdp1276 Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Portland, OR
    That must be what likely happened to me too. How long have you had your WD drive? I got My DVR Expander drive direct from TiVo on 11/27/07. So I assume is still under warranty? Wonder if I can contact TiVo for this or is it, WD? Did they send you a replacement before sending back your current one?

20. Aug 6, 2008 #20 of 105
    JStew

JStew Member

Oct 1, 2007
    I got mine almost to the day you got yours. I purchased mine at Best Buy and got on the WD website and sure enough, the drive is eligible for replacement.

I'd contact Tivo if that's where you got yours.....They may very likely will pass you on to the WD website for a replacement.