After 3 mos, Tivo no longer gets wireless signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by julie.e, Dec 11, 2007.

1. julie.e

julie.e New Member

Dec 11, 2007

Advertisements

My series 2 Tivo's been up and running just fine for 3 months with no interruptions at my current location. Recently we got the message that we were running out of program information. Checked the network settings: the signal strength was around 19% ("poor").

Tivo's hooked up using the Tivo G USB adapter. Tried moving the adapter around, no luck. Now we're getting "no signal," and can't get the signal back. Our network will show up on the list of networks, but the signal strength shows up as "none." We have tried rebooting the cable modem and Tivo simultaneously and separately.

Any heroes out there with any ideas?? :confused:

2. flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    Try moving your wireless router. Has anything changed about your wireless environment? i.e. have you recently placed any large objects near the tivo or router? Do you have any new devices that might be causing interference?

3. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    also try changing channels on your router.some channels are more crowded than others; especially 6 and 11

4. rigs49

rigs49 Member

Mar 30, 2005
  5. julie.e

julie.e New Member

Dec 11, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks for responding! We tried moving it all over the place, no luck. No new appliances or anything else. I will try changing the channel and see if that helps.

Thanks so much! What would I do without Tivo?

6. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    You may need a range extender. Our house has forced hot air (lots of metal ducts) so there are some "shadows" - one of the worst is in the family room. The access point is in the office which is on the 2cd floor, at the far west end of the house and the family room is on 1st floor at the east end. There are several ducts running thru the walls and the floor between the AP and the family room. If you are standing in the middle of the room - 60% signal strength, sitting on one end of couch - 45%, other end of the the couch - nada, etc). I put a range extender into the family room (at a spot with decent strength, obviously), and now I have 80% or better strength everywhere.

Unfortunately, I put the extender in years ago, so I don't have a current unit to recommend.

7. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    Have you rebooted the TiVo? Sometimes things just get messed up and need a reboot.

8. julie.e

julie.e New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Yup, rebooted it multiple times.

Still waiting to get down into the neighbors' apartment, which is where the modem is.

9. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    You are using a neighbor's modem and router! Are they aware of it? Do you still have Internet service?

Perhaps your neighbor's service has been discontinued and you are picking up a signal form another wireless router that is secured.