After 11 months S3 Hard Drive Failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by snathanb, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 27
    snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Only took 11 months for the hard drive to fail in my 1st S3.

Consider I paid $800 @ Circuit City back last September, I paid the extra $59.95 for a 3 year protection plan (which I normally don't do for anything).

I came home from work today and the S3 was frozen with an image on the screen of the program that had been on when it locked up. Even the clock locked up at the time up the freeze.

Powered in down and back up and it never gets past the welcome screen. I can hear the disk just clicking several times when power is first applied.

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 27
    jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    yep, hard drives fail. Did you use the tools available to back it up ahead of time?

3. Aug 8, 2007 #3 of 27
    bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    mine died in 5 months :(

and now i get the priveledge of giving tivo $50 so they can ship me a refurb as a replacement?

i guess they're selling plenty, and dont mind me telling people that between the software bugs, the cablecard nightmares, the flaky hardware and the impossible to reach tech support, they should probably not get a tivo.

oh. I forgot their hilariously miserable order fulfillment system (they want to replace my s3 with a dual tuner s2- thanks!)

4. Aug 8, 2007 #4 of 27
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    You're fortunate they're doing that. Other companies likely would not. They'd probably force you to submit it for "repairs" if it's still under warranty. Nothing in TiVo's warranty forces them to replace it, even with a refurb.

5. Aug 8, 2007 #5 of 27
    adrianblack

adrianblack Gearhead

Jul 2, 2000
    West...
    The hard drive failing has nothing to do with Tivo. Get angry at whoever madethe drive for manufacturing shoddy crap.

Hard drives are super low margin and high volume devices. The makers cut as many corners as possible to make them as cheap as possible -- so they walk the line of barely functional.

I have piles and piles of old sub 20gig drives at work that still work ... they were more robust just by the nature they were low capacity -- but they were also manufactured with a bit more quality. They could easily run 24/7 for years and years without problems.

I would say once drives hit about 20gigs did things start to go downhill. Margins were cut, warranties were cut and quality went down. They designed cheap IDE drives to not run 24/7 anymore ..... so if you did, they would sometimes end up dying in no time.

For the last several years, I personally only use Seagate Barracuda drives because in my data center, I've found them to be more reliable than other brands... plus they have a 5 year warranty. This applies to consumer IDE drives, of course. SCSI drives are a whole different beast.

When I bought my Series 2's I dumped the original Western Digital 60gig (in my old 60hour S2) and the Maxtor 40gig and replaced them with Seagate 80gig drives. The original 60hour was one of the first Series 2 units and I only recently upgraded it to a 160hour for no other reason than I had a spare drive. The original (swapped out) 80 gig was still running perfectly.

Not to say Seagates don't fail either -- but if you keep them at a nice cool temp, I would say their life is generally much more reliable than other brands.

Oh, also, my old 140x series 2 had a terrible cooling setup with the fan in the middle inside the unit. I hooked it directly up to 12v to speed it up and enhance cooling. The drive in the unit is now cool to the touch even after days of operating.... also the power supply isn't quite so hot.

Anyway, when I go to upgrade my small 160gig drive in my Tivo HD I'm going Seagate.

6. Aug 8, 2007 #6 of 27
    yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Maybe Tivo should just follow Apple's lead, and tell people that they need to replace the hard drive in 2 years (like iPod battery), and then user will be expecting it and the charge along with it, and not be unpleasantly surprised when it happens.

I've had 3 Tivo's, 1 ReplayTV in the last 7 years, and never had a drive failure. I also take care of the boxes, keep them away from heat and vibration (speakers). I think myself relatively lucky, but if it happens I won't be bitter about it.

Isn't returning a consumer electronics with HDD (PC, Tiv) in it when the hard drive dies like giving up on a car when the tires are worn or accidentally got a flat. S*** happens, especially on mechanical moving parts. No one can guarantee everything.

Also confused, didn't your other post indicate that the box's problem is with cable cards? After popping one of the card out Tivo is fine again.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5387528&&#post5387528

7. Aug 9, 2007 #7 of 27
    drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Is a frozen screen a sign that the HD is going bad?

8. Aug 9, 2007 #8 of 27
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I'm curious -- what tools? and how does backing up the hard drive help with a hardware failure? :confused:

9. Aug 9, 2007 #9 of 27
    snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Yes, I have a back up... that I made 9 months ago. Doesn't get me the programs I haven't watched yet and my season passes and wish lists back.

I would just use the backup, but hey, I paid for the warranty.. why not use it instead of laying out even more money for another hard drive.

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Hmm ... I've had my S3 for 10 months and haven't made a backup yet. Might be time to do that ...

11. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    They should send you a temp unit whilst they fix yours; if their business model is to swap for refurbs (which MS do with 360's) then there shouldnt be additional cost. Annoys me that I took care of my 360 only to get 3 grubby refurbs over the last 2 years.

Good luck op!

12. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Hey.. had I known I could do that, I could have saved $9 over buying the warranty at Circuit City.. they just give you a refurb.

13. GooberMan

GooberMan New Member

May 21, 2007
    Anderson, SC
    How did you make it so you can access your season passes and now playing lists over the Internet?

14. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    PM sent.

15. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    There are a variety of tools available that can back up the Tivo hard drive, copy the contents to a different or larger drive, etc.

mfslive.org is where you should start.

Backing up your hard drive is obviously not going to "prevent" a hardware failure but certainly makes getting your Tivo operational a much faster thing.

You could restore your backup to another hard drive and avoid the pain of having to send your unit off to service and living without it for a week.

Hard drives are cheap, you could buy a 320GB drive for about $60 and replace it yourself rather than waiting on Tivo to do it for you.

16. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Seagate are the way to go?

17. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    All hard drives would fail. It's just a matter of time.

There are about 4.3 million TiVo subscribers. Let's say 1 drive per TiVo unit and 1 million MTBF for the drive. That means 4.3 TiVo units would fail every hour due to hard drive problems. When is your turn?

18. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    That's less than 38,000 drive failures per year, or less than 1% of the population per year. I think in the real world rate is more like 3-5%/yr (which means that more than 3 out of 4 drives are still working after 5 years).

19. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Technically, won't cracking the case to remove the drive for the backup void the warranty?

20. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Yes, the percentage is small, but when your particular drive fails, statistics probably doesn't mean much. You just want to throw it out the window. :)

Backing up is a waste of time ..... until you need the backup.