Affordable upgrade drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by grantsa4, Nov 14, 2011.

1. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my Tivo HD to a larger hard drive (1TB-2TB).
    Clearly I waited too long and with the flodding in Thailand, to get a WD Green hard drive that so many have used successfully on these forums you have to shell out twice to 3 times to price of what it used to be.

Has anyone recently used a different drive with great success that could be more affordable or has anyone perhaps see the green drives available for a decent price?

I know Best Buy was selling the 2 TB for a good price, but it appears that those are all sold out.

Thanks for any advice/help.

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    You might be able to find something online if you search enough but probably not. I did check out Office Depot online and saw that they were selling 20 packs of the WD10EARS drives for pretty cheap ($65/drive). You could buy a lot of those and share with your Tivo Community friends. :D

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    We don't have an Office Depot in town, but I checked their website and what they're asking for internal drives one at a time is pretty painful.

Best Buy has a 1TB Seagate this week for $55, and CompUSA has what appears to be in-store only a 1TB Seagate (not sure if it's the same model) for $60 and a 1.5 for $70.

Everything else I've seen is well over $100 per TB.

4. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Thanks. Would those Seagates work well in my TiVo HD?

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Difficult to be sure without being able to find out the actual model number of the drive inside the retail package. The Google kinda let me down on that.

I suspect some of these might be older models, and once you open the box and find out the actual model number, you might want to check online to see if there is a firmware update provided and recommended for that particular version of that particular drive.

About the best I can tell you is week before last I got a 2TB Seagate ST320005N4A1AS-RK which contained an ST20000DL003, and I used jmfs to put it in an HD (TCD652160). It froze about every 24 hours for the first 3 days, but has been behaving itself since.

6. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Do you think it's worth buying, checking the model number etc and then worst case returning it if it has a bad track history?

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think hard drive prices are probably going to be pretty painful between now and late next spring, and if you can't use the drive in a TiVo you can likely use it formatted as an NTFS partition in a computer, and use TiVo Desktop to store stuff copied from the TiVo on it.

If I had another $100+ to spare I'd grab a couple of those 1TB Seagates from Best Buy just to have them on hand for whatever.

One thing to consider, the Best Buy Seagate is a 7200rpm drive, which is faster than a TiVo needs and probably means a little more heat.

The 1TB at CompUSA is a 5900rpm.

Of course you have to actually have a retail outlet of either handy, 'cause they don't seem to be selling them online, so what you get may depend on which store is in your area.

8. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Thanks for all the great advice. It is very much appreciated.

What is the ideal rpm for a Tivo hard drive?

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think the first Series 1s had 5200rpm Quantum brand drives.

Any of the current "green" drives should be more than fast enough for a TiVo.

That's a separate question from the drive's overall reliability.

10. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    From what I have read it sounds like the EARS and EURS WD models are the gold standard for hard drive upgrades

11. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I see that Best Buy is selling a Western Digital - Caviar GP 1TB Internal Hard Drive for $99.

Model: WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN

Does anyone know if this is a good hard drive for a Tivo HD?

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the picure can be believed, specifically the wrap-around sticker on the right hand side that says 16MB of cache, the actual drive inside is probably a WD10EACS (at about what a WD20EACS was selling for, or more, about a month or two ago), and you can search this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

for that model number to see what others have said.

13. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Thank you

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    And good luck finding any at a decent price right now, thanks to price gouging due to limited supplies because of the flooding in the country they are manufactured.

15. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I believe they were only 4500rpm, IIRC.

FYI - I just replaced a 2TB WD20EARS green drive under warranty. I got an advance replacement, which means I had to supply a credit card number to cover the cost of the drive in case I didn;t send mine back within 30 days. WD only charged me $150 for the new drive. I believe the same drive is currently selling for about $209 at Newegg. Of course, I'll be sending back the defective drive, but I thought the price differential was interesting.

16. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I'll be getting the 1TB later today. Will hopefully try upgrading tongight or tomorrow and will report back with what the drive actually was and how it went...etc

17. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Warranty "replacements", typically, are not brand new.

18. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    It mostly depends on what they have on hand at the time. I've gotten both new and refurbished units as warranty replacements. IIRC, all drives I've received over the past five years or so have been new drives and not refurbs.

My 2TB replacement arrived today just before noon. It appears to be a brand new WD20EARX green drive.

19. JulianSF

JulianSF Jack of all trades, master of none!

Nov 12, 2011
    San...
    I'm just now looking to upgrade my Tivo HD. Thanks for all the good advice!

20. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    The drive is a WD10EADX and I can't find anything about it on this forum. Any advice on this one?