Advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RMSko, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Sep 5, 2016 #1 of 15
    RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...

Advertisements

I bought a TiVo Bolt last January and it included a year of free service. I have just learned that since I bought my original TiVo in 1999, I am able to transfer my lifetime service one time to another device. Well here's the catch, I can only transfer it to a TiVo I buy from TiVo. I wish I knew this when I bought my Bolt - oh well. Anyway, I'd like to take advantage of this, but am thinking that if I'm gonna use a transfer, I should get the best TiVo possible and am thinking of getting the Roamio Pro 3TB (I can get that for $400 from TiVo). Here are my questions:

1. Does the Bolt offer anything that the Roamio Pro doesn't offer other than the 4K PQ (I'm using my Bolt as a MoCA with 3 TiVo minis and want to do the same with the Roamio)?

2. There is no deadline for me to do this so does anyone think it's worth waiting to see if any other 6 tuner model come out (I want to add more minis and so I'd really like at least 6 tuners).

3. Is the best place to sell my Bolt on eBay (it has free TiVo service until January - I assume that's transferable and should help with the sale)?

Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

2. Sep 5, 2016 #2 of 15
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would wait until after the 9/15 announcement.

3. Sep 5, 2016 #3 of 15
    RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    Hmmm I haven't seen anything about a 9/15 announcement. Are they expected to announce new products? Any links I could read?

4. Sep 5, 2016 #4 of 15
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Yes:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=542670

See answer to question # 1 and #6

I would wait if I were you.

Most likely it will be a Bolt with Roamio Pro features (six or more tuners, and higher capacity HDD), but we don't know

5. Sep 5, 2016 #5 of 15
    RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...

Advertisements

Thanks for this, that's very helpful and I agree that I should def wait! Hopefully there is a 6 tuner Bolt Pro.

6. Sep 6, 2016 #6 of 15
    leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    I'm in the same boat and waiting. How soon after the 9/15 announcement will
    a new model (if any) become available. Any guesses?

7. Sep 6, 2016 #7 of 15
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Nothing solid on the date, but IF it's not immediate then likely within 30 days since Best Buy usually locks in their holiday shelf space by mid October.

8. Sep 6, 2016 #8 of 15
    idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    Which current Tivo owners would 'upgrade' to a 'Bolt Pro'?

I currently have a Roamio Basic and a Mini, each with Lifetime, and I've upgraded the HD in the Roamio to 3 TB.

I realize everyone's wants are unique, but;

1. I don't need more HD space now and if I did, I'd replace the 3 TB HD with a larger drive.
    2. I do not have a 4K TV now, and if I do, I am not sure giving up 1 life time subscription (the Roamio Basic) would be worth it.
    3. If the 'Bolt Pro' doesn't also support OTA, I'd be giving up that option.

Help me understand the allure of a 6 tuner 'Bolt Pro'.

Thanks!

9. Sep 6, 2016 #9 of 15
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I'm not sure how much allure there really is. This was the problem with the Bolt last year too. I guess SkipMode was kind of a big deal, but now Roamios have it too.

If storage and 4K aren't compelling, then unless you want 6 tuners you're probably set for a good while.

The other features over the base Roamio (mobile streaming, moca) can be obtained without replacing the DVR.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    There are always some people that will want the latest and greatest. Also depending on pricing there are some who seem to be able to continually upgrade via selling the last model at what they consider to be a reasonable cost.

That said I am not sure why people think that it is normal to upgrade anything just because a new model is released. While I like my Bolt allot and it is clearly superior to my Roamio, if it hadn't been given to me as a gift I would have been just fine staying with my base Roamio.

In my mind this is more about TiVo needing to replace the Roamio Pro in their current line up as it is now 3 years old tech, than people who already own a Roamio Plus/Pro wanting/needing to upgrade.

11. OcalaPrime

OcalaPrime New Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Hello there! I am new to the forum and happen to see your post about transferring your lifetime from one TiVo to another. I had just recently called support and asked them that question. They informed me that they had stopped it. I have been a VERY long time customer of TiVo (1990's) and hoping you might be able to shed some light on what department to contact or what they even said to you about the transfer. Thanks in advance

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Do you currently have an S1 TiVo that had lifetime activated on it on or before January 21, 2000? That is TiVo's one grandfathered exception for lifetime transfers.

Scott

13. OcalaPrime

OcalaPrime New Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Yes but it has not connected for about a year to the service

14. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    maybe try connecting for a week or two and see maybe it doesn't show up in the tivo records or something just a guess

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It would probably be a good idea to have it connect now while you still can before the end of the month and after doing so give them a call.

Scott