Advice on burning DVDs

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by omelet1978, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1 of 65
    omelet1978

omelet1978 Active Member

Mar 7, 2006

Advertisements

Hey,

I've been playing around with Tivo for a month or two. I bought sonic dvd 8, but i'm having a lot of problems. I try to burn a dvd, and it will say there isn't enough room, or i'll try to edit out commercials, and it will take forever and crash. I found Nero on ebay for like $15, so when it arrives i'm going to try that. I just have a couple of questions.

1. I record at best quality. A 1 hour show takes about 2 gb of space. Is this the best for DVDs. I read somewhere that actually medium quality is the way to go.

2. Which dvd type is best for Nero? Dvd + or - ?

3. Any advice for using Nero at all that might help? Hopefully it works better than Sonic

thanks

2. Mar 8, 2006 #2 of 65
    eskay

eskay Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Sacramento,...
    I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll do what I can.

2gb per hour of content is about right. At standard quality, a 4.7gb DVD can hold 120minutes. Take out the commercials and you should be able to fit three hour long shows per disc. I think the reccomendation to record at Medium is because it will be 720x480 whereas Best Quality is 480x480 which has to be encoded to 720x480. Adds another step.

Nero doesn't care if you are using +R or -R, but the drive/machine you use to play the discs will care. Not all are compatible.

Sorry. I don't use Nero to edit, only to burn, so I can't help there. I use TMPGENC MPG editor.

3. Mar 8, 2006 #3 of 65
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Actually Basic & Medium are both 352x480. (These are DVD compliant and hence the transcode should be much faster).

Hope the copy of Nero (i.e. Nero Vision Express) you bought has the DVD Plug-in, or you won't get very far. :rolleyes:

Also, I wouldn't try feeding NVE a .tivo file. It doesn't work very reliably (screech audio/garbled video bug). Instead free your .tivo file using DirectShow Dump or VideoRedo. If you have any intensions of editing out commercials, VideoRedo is the way to go.

4. Mar 8, 2006 #4 of 65
    omelet1978

omelet1978 Active Member

Mar 7, 2006
    " I think the reccomendation to record at Medium is because it will be 720x480 whereas Best Quality is 480x480 which has to be encoded to 720x480. Adds another step."

Ok, so do you loose some quality when you encode to 720x480. Also, how do you do that?

thanks

5. Mar 8, 2006 #5 of 65
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

Advertisements

When you use Nero Vision Express, it will take whatever .mpg (remember free your .tivo files first!) and "transcode" it to a proper DVD format for burning to DVD. (I think it refers to this part of the process as "encoding", but don't quote me on that!). If you give it a High or Best quality recorded mpg file it will take hour(s) to transcode. It will work, but it will be slowww. As far as quality; my guess is that a High or Best after being transcoded should still look better than a Basic or Medium. But I am not sure on that point.

6. Mar 9, 2006 #6 of 65
    TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    1. I use "High Quality" as my default Tivo record setting when I plan to burn it. Best quality file sizes are ridiculous large file sizes to work with and take too long to transfer. My experience has been that many (as least half) of the recordings made at high quality will fit on a standard DVD, and the ones that don't fit may be automatically reduced in size/quality (nerovision4.

2. Nero doesn't care whether you use DVD+R or DVD-R. Use whatever media your DVD drive prefers.

3. If you have problems burning with nero you can get plenty of advice here. I would expect problems, nothing that can't be tweaked, but I'd be putting the cart before the horse to go into any of the known issues.

I would also advise that you avoid installing the "Template Package" upgrade addon from Nero. If you want custom templates just go to your pictures folder, or take a snapshot from inside nero, and use that. I had to do a reinstall after installing Neros Template package, because it made the "open files" view, tiny, and unusable.

Take Care, Tony

7. Mar 9, 2006 #7 of 65
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Can you elobarate? I have Nero Vision 4 also and have already installed the Template Package. Which Open Files view do you mean? All of them? I haven't noticed anything like that. :confused:

8. Mar 9, 2006 #8 of 65
    TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Hi Greg,

Yep the open all files console - "as in the add files to project" shrank to unusable proportions after installing the new Template Package (s). I also know of at least one other person this happened to, when I did a web search, trying to figure out what might have gone wrong I found the same things had happened to them. As you probably know, Nero isn't best known for "excellent product support", so i opted to do a re-install.

Another thing; ever since then I've had this trouble; whenever I try to add animated menu's; the animation plays, but my DVD doesn't seem to recognize the movie (chapter) bookmarks, and just plays the animated menu over and over again. After making many coasters, I gave up on making menu animations work, and my DVD's play just fine without animations, but I'm planing to do more experimenting this weekend.

Do you have any thoughts on that one?

Thanks, Tony

9. TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Here’s the method I use to quickly burn Tivo files in mpeg-2 format, and burn them using Nerovision4, and without the added – time consuming – process of exporting them, or using DSP or any other encoding software. This method also fixes those files that sometimes show up in separate parts, as well as files which show up as a mostly black screen, with choppy video, and screechy sound. This also worked for me in Nerovision3. I guess I should also mention that I’ve only used this method with Tivo recordings recorded at “high” quality, although I don’t know that it matters…

This process includes the well known, “delete catch” technique, with only one additional *step added. Now let’s begin:

1. Open Nerovision4 and select “Make Movie”
    2. Click on “Browse for Media” - select “all files” from the dropdown menu - add your desired Tivo file. You should see “analyzing media files please wait…”
    3. Once your file is fully loaded (100%) into the “My Media Files” window, be sure to add your file to your project by double clicking, or right click and add from the drop down menu.
    a. Now check to see if the file plays, if all you see is a choppy black image with screechy sound - continue to the next step.
    b. If the file plays, go ahead to edit, and burn it.
    c. If you haven’t gotten this far you may not have the proper codex installed. Or you have some other issue this document can’t solve.
    4. Now Close Nerovision4 and when prompted “Don’t Save” your project. That’s right Don’t Save!
    5. Next you’re going to need to locate your “NVFACache” Folder. Typical location: “C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony D Allyn\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision\NVFACache”. Once you find it create a shortcut to your desktop for easy access. I think plain looking folders on my desktop look rather tacky, so I changed mine to look like a recycle bin. To do the same, right click on your shortcut, choose properties - change icon – select whichever one you like.
    6. Open the NVFACache folder, and delete all the files inside. Don’t worry these are only temporary files, precisely the ones created when your file was analyzed in back in step 2.
    *7. Start Nerovision again, and choose “make movie”. You should see the same file we’ve been working on being – automatically - reanalyzed. *ONLY THIS TIME QUICKLY CHOOSE ABORT. That’s right abort the analyzing process!
    8. The file is automatically added, and should now be visible in the “My Media Files” window, and magically converted to MPEG-2 format. Choose, “Make DVD with edited video – DVD Movie, continue editing if you like. You may also save your project at this point.

If this didn’t work for you I’m very sorry. If it has worked for you, as it has for me 100’s of times, then burn, and enjoy.

Note: This post was not created with the intent, or to encourage any copyright infringment, or break any other laws, only so that you may enjoy your own personal Tivo files, using your Nero software.

10. mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago
    Thanks for the tips, I'll give this a try this weekend.

11. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    DSP? Did you mean DirectShow Dump (DSD) here? That program is so quick that, IMO, I wouldn't even consider the hassel of using the delete cache method.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3D menus.

12. TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    You're right DSP doesn't take very long at all, but it does require learning another program. it's the exporting in Nerovision method which takes way too much time; i'm sure there are many people wasting the hours away using that method.

I'm curious about DirrectShow Dump

1. How long does DSP take to process a file?

2. After using DSP does neovision still have to analyze the file, when adding it to your nero project?

I never tried dirrectshow dump mainly because I don't want Net framwork installed on my computer. If you run MSCONFIG you should see a program called "mscorsvw.exe" running in the backround (startup item). IMO I get faster boot times, and faster burns, without this - unnecessary - program running in the backround.

Deleting the NFVACache Folder, and reloading Nerovision takes me less than a minute, but I really have no way of comparing the two methods.

13. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Advice on burning DVDs:

Avoid, the smoke is toxic.
    ;)

14. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Since I am a .NET certified developer I am little biased towards the .NET framework. ;)

I don't think anybody abbreviates DirectShow Dump; DSP. That is really confusing. :thumbsdown:

DSD only takes as long as it takes to read the data and write it back onto disc. Once the file is freed you have a lot more software options. VideoRedo internally does the samething as DSD. In fact now, the new beta version will even append the .tivo header backonto the file when done. (Haven't tried Nero yet with the header put back on).

Nero will still analyze the file first, it is the transcoding part that is a killer. Here are a fews ways to avoid that (or at least speed it up):

A) don't use NVE (or similiar program)*
    B) transcode to proper DVD format first
    C) record you .tivo files in a proper DVD format to begin with (Basic or Medium)

*There are DVD authoring programs that can work with un-proper DVD mpegs

15. TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    OH! DSD, of course :eek: I'm not used to abrviating that one i guess, or it could be a Tivo overdose.

Now I'm think my hard earned money might have been better spent on "VideoRedo". I went to their web site and I like what i see. I wish I would've at least tried the VideoRedo demo, before ungrading my Nero product.

I'll also have to try burning some "medium quality" Tivo files. As it is, it takes well over an hour for NV to do the transcoding part of the process, and that's on a fast machine.

Thanks for the imput! i wish I would've found this imformation earlier, but it's not for a lack of searching on my part.

And I still haven't been able to figure out why my buttons don't work in an animated menu (NV). I did find that if I press stop twice, and then play, the DVD will play, but otherwise the menu animation playes as if it were the movie. Any ideas on that one?

16. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    VideoRedo and Nero go hand-n-hand. VR is the best for cutting commercials. Nero Vision is the best (IMO) for authoring DVDs. Wouldn't use one w/o the other.

17. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I'll try making a disc with that kind of menu and see what kind of success I have.

18. TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I already sorted it out; the nerovision4 version i had installed had a menu bug. Info is in the Nero7 release docs, and the newest version corrects the problem.

I had to use nero7 clean tools to remove the version I had, and then do a reinstall of the current version. I haven't tested the new version yet, but I don't expect there to be any more problems with animated menus.

19. TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Thanks for your help. I just DLed the trial version VideoReDo :up: and I can't wait to give it a good trial run this weekend. I have a 3 hour (high quality) recording of "The Aviator" in the burner right now. It's a 3 hour long movie and just as much time in NV.

And you're right Nero is the best... I just wish the customer support was better, and they should've done more testing before releasing Nero7. Hopefully the bugs are worked out now. Have you tried using the Nero update tool yet? I could never get it to work, and haven't tried it in the latest version.

20. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Where's "update tool" located at?

The Nero update button in Nero Smart Start (from v6) always worked for me (click on the Nero upper left and go to screen that shows build numbers). But it looks like they removed it from 7. :mad: I manually went to their website last week and downloaded latest build, but it forced me first to uninstall what I had. Never used to have to do that.

What build number of VR is the trial? The tivo support has just been added within the last couple months. (v2.2.1.445 ?? )

The keeping header info is still only in the beta build. (2.2.1.456)

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/forumdisplay.php?f=24