Advice on a second Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mikedow, Jan 17, 2010.

1. mikedow

mikedow New Member

May 17, 2005
    West Palm...

Advertisements

I’m about to purchase a second Tivo for my bedroom. I already have a Series 3 in my Living Room. Amazon if offering the HD for $199 and the HD XL for $409. In either case, should I:

1. Purchase the smaller unit and add on an external drive? Will the drive be slower?

2. Purchase the smaller unit and plan to transfer program over the network. Is this feasible with HD programs?

3. Purchase the upgraded HD from Weakknees for $449. For an extra $49, they will send the original hard drive. That way I’ll have the original software kernel in the event the original dies.

Is there any way to copy the hard drive without physically removing the drive from the unit? I’m just a bid scared to do that.

Finally, will I have any issues purchasing the lifetime service deal for $299 if I buy from Amazon?

Thanks,

Mike

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    1. Slower than what? Just about anything you'd do (viewing, transferring onto or off of the box) would have a worse bottleneck than the interface.
    2. I have an S2 and an HD. Based on the speed of transmission of SD programs between the two I don't think HD transfers will be in real time but otherwise it's feasible.
    3. No opinion.

- You still need to open the box and remove cables in any evwen, so actually removing the hard drive is a minor add.

- You should have no problem purchasing Lifetime regardless of where you bought your TiVo. My old S2DT was from Big Lots and Lifetime was available on it, as well as the current HD from Amazon that I transferred the 3-year contract onto.

- If it were me I'd put the box with more storage in the Living Room.

3. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I just looked at Amazon and the price I see for the HD is around $263 +/-. Where are you getting the $199 price from?

4. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    You might want to check the price at tivo.com. They give discounts to users based on length of time of subscription and my understanding is that you don't need to retire the original Tivo. For over three years the current price for an HD model is $149.

No matter, I would get the standard HD unit and upgrade. They have made this so easy compared to upgrading a series 1 Tivo. Yes, you have to open the box, but they have pictures to guide, and the users in the forum are very helpful even with what might seem to some stupid questions. No one has ever been chided for asking any question. They are really a great bunch of people over there. You should at least give it a look over.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

Users have had problems with the external drives not lasting very long. If you do have a problem, you will probably lose all your recordings. So I would avoid the external drive solution. You can find posts here about users whose drives have failed.

Transferring over the network should not be problem. I believe Tivo to Tivo transfers are fairly quick because the Tivo doesn't have to decode like when using Tivo Desktop to transfer to your PC. (Others should verify that this is the case.)

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

I see $216 and some change

[​IMG]

6. mikedow

mikedow New Member

May 17, 2005
    West Palm...
    $216 is correct. I was mistaken. In any event, I decided to go with the larger unit and put it in the living room.