Advice Needed: Upgrade to Series 2?...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Nuzzi, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Nuzzi

Nuzzi New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Hello All. Thanks in advance for reading my post. I currently have a perfect, hacked, and upgraded Series 1, although very old. It has a bigger hard drive, lifetime subscription, TurboNet, and TivoWeb. I especially like the latter and frequently use it to grab shows and put them on DVDs if friends or family are going to miss something and would like it recorded. TiVo sent email around this week offering to upgrade to a 2 line Series 2 and move the lifetime subscription over. I originally had a huge problem with TiVo a few years back when they would not move my subscription over to a new unit. That was before I got into hacking it, though. I was so pissed, I actually bought a ReplayTV (which i like and use frequently as well). Anyway, I digress. My question is...if I upgraded to the Series 2, would I lose any of the functionality I have come to enjoy? Especially the ability to get shows onto DVD? I know they are more difficult to hack, I remember reading that when I was going through the processes with the Series 1.

Thanks Again,

NUZZI

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    The Series 2 is harder to hack, but the ability to get updates over the network and the ability to download shows to your PC are built into the Series 2.

3. Nuzzi

Nuzzi New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. Of course, I probably should have just read the thread below first before starting a new post. My apologies...

NUZZI

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    check out the underground forum.

the original 240 models can be hacked as is. The DT needs a PROM chip replaced that requires delicate soldering work. The only thing you completely loose is TiVowebplus though.

since the S1 version of TivoToGo is just a straight FTP with no CPU work involved for muxing audio you will find TiVotoGo slower on the S2 but the DT does have direct ethernet connection so it is not so bad and desktop now has auto downlaod and auto convert features in the plus version so the speed is not such a big factor.