advice needed on adding new hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by thefreakshow, Dec 29, 2005.

1. thefreakshow

thefreakshow New Member

Sep 30, 2005
    hi guys, im new here, and im looking to add a new hard drive to my current series 2 HUMAX box (beginning 590-) and figured id come here for a few pointers:

• the hard drive i am looking to add is a 200GB drive. will tivo recognize the full 200 automatically or will it only recognize the 137?
    • where should i purchase the mounting bracket? and do i need any "extras" (or "deluxe") packages? what should i expect to spend on this?
    • how long does the entire process take, from the time the box is opened until the new HD is operational? i would assume the majority of the time will be spent backing up the current factory HD

any other feedback/advice is more than welcome! thanks!

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    1: Yes, all 200 GB will be used.

2: I'd relpace the drive with the 200GB one.

3 A couple hours at most.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You do need an IDA drive (Not SATA) I would also recommend you consider only using one drive. Here are some reasons why you might want to stay with one drive:

1. If you haven't purchased the 200 gig drive yet, Bigger drives are cheap and the mounting brackets will cost you as much as going from 200 gig drive to a 300 gig drive (I paid $86 for a 300 gig seagate when I upgraded my Humax T800).
    2. In 2 drive systems if either drive fails you loose everything.
    3. Nice to have the original drive as a backup if the new drive fails or you want to sell the unit and keep the bigger drive.

The weaknees upgrade instructions work great:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php

Good Luck!

atmuscarella

4. skw

skw Tivo Hacker Level 1

Jan 24, 2006
    Virginia
    Seagate 400GB Ultra ATA/100 8MB Buffer ST3400832A-RK - Retail Hard Drive Kit.
    Capacity: 400GB
    Seek Time: 8.5ms
    7200RPM
    8MB Buffer
    5 Years Limited Manufacturer Warranty
    Regular Price $284.99

Limit 1 per Household.
    $189.99 Store Price
    $139.99 After Rebates

Outpost has this drive is on sale now, Good at least through today, with a rebate that runs for purchases through 3/2. I got a 250 for my first unit, but my other 250 Gig drive filled up, so I may get this one as well. Not sure whether I am going to put it on my PC to host videos, or on one of the Tivo units directly.