Advice Needed for Series 2 TiVo with Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by hjohnm, Sep 3, 2007.

1. hjohnm

hjohnm New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I've been going through many of the previous posted threads about the cable card and TiVo. Most seem to be specific to Series 3 with HD, and I'm not sure if that applies to my situation.

I previously have had 3 TiVos and set each up independently. But the new digital cable boxes are giving me pause. I have Comcast Triple Play and already have a splitter on the Internet/cable for that, so I can't set up (I think) with the Comcast cable box. So Plan B would be to set up without the cable box, but that seems to require a cable card. I tried to set up as in the past but could not view any channel over 22.

My baseline question, should I just pay someone to come out and set it up? I actually have 2 new Series 2 TiVos that I transferred Lifetime Service to, but my head is spinning because I don't care about HD, interactive services from Comcast, OnDemand, or anything. I just want to dual record my channels with a dependable service (DVR from Comcast frequently reads 100% full with only one program recorded). Please forgive this posting, but you can sense I'm going in circles and would appreciate some direction.

Thanks!

2. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I got a little confused halfway through your post, but what I think you want is to set up your DT Tivo(s) without a tech. Quite simple, really.

If you have the Triple Play, I believe that includes Digital Cable. The way you will connect each tivo to receive digital cable is to split the coaxial cable from the wall, run coaxial into the Tivo and cable box's RF in, connect the cable box's RCA out (Red White Yellow) to the Tivo's RCA in. You will then attach a IR blaster to the Tivo by plugging in the mini jack end into the IR hole on the tivo and use 1 or 2 of the IR blasters to bracket the cable box where the cable remote sends its signal. Then you will plug everything in and start guided setup.

The IR turns your tivo into a remote control for the cable box, so when you change channels on the tivo remote, it tells the tivo to change the cable box channel. If you run into any problems here is a good link...

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Lau...347457abfc3&anchor=undefined&anchor=undefined

If you don't want cable boxes everywhere, you can also connect the coaxial cable to the tivo only, but you will be limited in the channels you receive. You should get the basic package, local, ESPN, TBS and the like, but nothing premium or digital (depending on your location).