Advice from the televisual propellerheads please

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by daveshawuk, Feb 2, 2011.

1. daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002

Advertisements

Hi

I've been living in Spain for the last 6 years happily using my networked and expanded Series one with a Sky receiver and card for the free channels. My telly is an old non-widescreen cathode-ray tube device :D I am wildly out-of-touch with modern day Britain ( don't have a satnav, don't have a smartphone, don't watch X Factor ... etc. ).

Anyone still talking to me ? OK, I'll continue.

I am now moving back to the UK in a non-cabled area to a house which appears to have a satellite dish installed, but apparently unused, mounted externally. I presume therefore that the current occupants get telly via Freeview, but in the past someone had Sky.

I love Tivo. SWMBO loves Tivo. I may buy a wide screen telly now they are getting to be sub-£300, but SWMBO doesn't want a big one ( TV that is ). So 37" would be a max. I do not have an unlimited budget.

All advice gratefully received as I am a non-TV buff. Questions that spring to mind are :

- What telly should I buy ?
    - How does Freeview compare to the Sky free-to-air channels ?
    - Will my current Sky receiver easily be re-configured in the UK ?
    - It seems many TVs come with an in-built Freeview tuner. How does this integrate with Tivo ?

Thats a start anyway.

Thanks

Dave

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    It doesn't - TiVo needs a separate freeview box dedicated to it.

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    1. Up your budget to around £400 and get a 37" Panasonic plasma.

2. Freeview has less channels than Sky but some on Sky are subscription but free on Freeview so get both.

3. Should not need any reconfiguration, unless you have changed the default transponder.

4. They don't. Get a cheap £10 to £20 Freeview box if you want to use TiVo with Freeview, or spend about £30 and get one with an RF modulator and use TiVo with Sky and Freeview. Make sure TiVo supports the Freeview box IR code in both cases.

4. steford

steford New Member

Oct 9, 2002
    I'd wire up the dish and plug in your existing box and Tivo. Sorted there.

Plug the aerial into the Freeview TV (prices are much lower these days) and use that when you need to watch live terrestrial TV eg Champions League leaving Tivo to do its thing. As the majority of your viewing will be via Tivo (like most of us I would imagine) it seems this will be rare.

Welcome home.

5. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...

Advertisements

Nice, but an LCD LED TV will eat about as much power as his old TV.

The plasma will eat at least twice as much.

Automan.

6. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    Well my three year old 37" Panasonic plasma is rated at 235W, my new 37" Panasonic plasma is rated at 190W, and my old 32" CRT was rated at 180W.

7. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    My 47" LCD LED TV eats about 70 watts and an old non widescreen CRT TV would normally be about 100 watts (21" Screen).

Plasma TV power consumption also varies greatly with picture content.

EDIT: I would say Plasma TV's are still better than LCD when it comes to picture quality (IMHO).

Automan.

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    There is a rather nice 32" Samsung LED LCD tv in the shops that only costs about £300. It will use less power than the old 4:3 CRT set.

See www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ue32c...cklit-tv-05326782-pdt.html?srcid=3&xtor=AL-71

Any plasma set will use at least two to three times as much electricity as the old CRT set assuming the CRT is not a total monster.

For the Sky satellite dish you can either plug in the one you had in Spain (but did you leave it there and/or did you replace the blue viewing card with a white one when the blue ones stopped working and you could no longer receive Fiver, Five USA and Sky Three or possibly Five or ITV1 as well) or you could get a brand new BBC/ITV Freesat box for under £50. The Freesat From BBC/ITV box (see www.freesat.co.uk) uses the same satellite dish as a Sky box but has its own EPG. However its EPG is basically substantially deficient compared to the Sky one as it does not include channels like Sky News or a host of more obscure channels in the Sky EPG of the Horse & Country and similar variety. Also you cannot get Fiver, Five USA or Sky Three on a Freesat from BBC/ITV box as they are Free To View (FTV) but not Free To Air (FTA) which means they are encrypted and require a viewing card even though they don't charge a monthly sub (this has to do with them not being broadcast on Astra 2D thus rendering them receivable all over Europe unless they encrypt their signal). However you can get these on your old Sky box as long as you have a current white Sky viewing card. You can get one for £20 or £25 (price keeps changing) from the phone number listed at www.freesatfromsky.co.uk

Basically the FTA channels on Freeview you cannot get on Freesat but might miss are basically Dave and a couple of music channels but there are ten or so 24 hour English speaking news channels on Sky Freeview compared to only two on a Freeview box (some of the others do now make a token four hour or so appearances late at night or in the wee small hours on Freeview when other channels are off air). So for someone like me who likes to watch CNN and Euronews or even France 24 or Russia Today as an alternative to BBC News and Sky News I would not even consider a Freeview box. Also Sky Freeview has several 24 hour movie channels not available on Freeview like TrueMoves 1 and 2 Movies4Men 1 and 2 and The Horror Channel.

Basically a Freesat From BBC/ITV box only makes sense if you do not own a Tivo and want to watch lots of things in HD and record them in HD as the Humax and other Freesat From BBC/ITV PVR boxes can do all that but at the price of not having Wishlists or Suggestions and a more restricted choice of channels you can watch and only a 7 day EPG rather than a 21 day EPG.

Anyhow coming back to the UK at the time you are coming back to the UK you should definitely pursue the LED tv route as they are massively more power consumption effective than Plasma tvs but have nearly as good a picture as a Plasma. The old non LED LCD tvs all tended to have poorer picture quality than a more power hungry Plasma television.

What brings you back to the UK from Spain? Is it the even sadder state of the Spanish economy compared to that of the UK's?

P.S. If the old Sky dish looks broken and there isn't a lead from it in to the house or you don't have a white Sky viewing card I have an old FreesatFromSky dish and box install pack that I got from Asda when Sky were doing them for a lot less than their current £175 that I have never used. I could always probably sell you that if it looks like you need a new Sky dish and/or viewing card and would only want something close to the £70 or so I paid to Asda for it. I would check first with Sky to make sure that it was still valid. That would give you a new dish and a brand new Sky box and white Freesat Sky Viewing card (letting you also watch Sky Three, Fiver and Five USA).

9. daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Thanks to you all. Your explanations of the various options have been illuminating.

Fortunately I have a new white Sky viewing card.

Sounds like an LCD LED may be the way to go for me. They get cheaper every month.

Interestingly I also have an fully functioning, networked, lifetimed subbed Tivo in a cupboard. So I could use one Tivo with Freeview and one Tivo with Sky ?

Is this because the telly will most likely have only one SCART input ? Any suggestions ?

Just moving on really after 7 years in the sun. Missing a daily paper, fish and chips, real ale, and Indian food:D

Thanks again.

Dave