Advice for rebooting DVR & missing local dial up

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dollbaby, Jul 24, 2007.

1. dollbaby

dollbaby New Member

Jul 24, 2007

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on where to go with this and what to do with my other reciever. I posted this on Direct TV site and not much advice given or input so maybe someone out there can help me before I do total reset or replace unit. I tried the simple unplug reset several times without luck. I have a Hughes DVR2 and Direct TV mulit sat.

First issue - apparently the local call in number is shut down in this area (approx 44 days ago). Everyone who has Tivo without Direct TV cannot use it and with Direct TV, you have to use a long distance number from list or possibly get a toll free number. I have heard various answers from locals who called into DirectTV. Some techs say they cannot give out a 1-800 number, others are waiting for it to be sent in to them, others said the operator acts like they know nothing of the problem. So, that is one issue which may or may not have contributed to my big one below.

My problems started on my Hughes DVR when I decided to get rid of the call in reminder screen last weekend (July 13). I had to try several numbers until I changed it to one about an hour away. I did a test, phone call successful, then my problems started. I had my system shut down every so often until the next day it started powering off and constantly rebooting. Now, my other unit which I did not change number on is fine. This one reboots every 10 minutes. I was away during the week and it still is doing it. I called Direct TV before I left and the girl said "oh yeah, this is really common", she then went on to say she thinks there is a fix but not sure, I then waited about 5 minutes until she looked for the answer which she thought was a system reset, but then backtracked and said she does not recommend it. To be honest, she really didn't sound like she was so sure of herself, and then said she would note it on her log since she thought the dial up number and my resetting it may be an issue relevant to someone. She said I could reset or she could send me another unit. I told her I would deal with it when I got back in town.

So, I ask this. Since I really do no wish to lose all of my info and programs. Is there any suggestions on how to remedy this. Also, it seems to me it all was a result of my changing dial in number or the call in, am I correct? Reason being, I am afraid to change number on other reciever and ruin this one too, what would you do with this unit??? If I do decide to try a reset, do you think it will help? If so, I still have the dial up number dilemma because I really don't wish to pay to call in if I don't have to. Tricky I know, sorry so long a post. I just wanted an opinion on what I should try next because the DirectTV tech sounded a little shaky and I really don't want to do a total reset unless I absolutely have to and lose all of my programs and settings. The other forum told me to try and clear my suggestions and program prefs, to do list, etc. before I reset whole system. Will this do anything? Any opinion will be wonderful and welcome.

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Your problems weren't caused by changing the numbers. Sounds like a bad drive and it was a coincidence that you were just changing the numbers. As for your other receiver, you don't have to change the number on it. Just click OK on the reminder screen that pops up once a day. My GXCEBOT has been reminding me to call in for almost 1,600 days.

As for the Clear and Delete. I've only done that twice. Once to try and resovle the same rebooting issues that you have and once on the new drive I installed. Obviously, the first wasn't successful since I had to install a new drive. I did write down all of my Season Passes and Wishlists before attempting it. And the Tivo is not for long term storage. If you want to save something, buy a DVD recorder.

-Robert

3. dollbaby

dollbaby New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks for input. I know, I know, about the recorder, I tried to put off because I am moving within the year and having a whole new system installed which will include a DVD recorder. That is why I am really resisting getting a new unit for only a short while, plus, our area is all in an uproar over the local number being shut down, so, I will probably need another unit to use with DirectTV anyway.

If DirectTV tech said she could send me a new unit, does this mean it will be no cost? Just trying to get info before I make any decisions. Seems this rebooting issue is commonplace so looking for a plan of attack before and if I need to buy a new unit for only a couple of months.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You'll have to ask if there's a cost, but often there isn't. What you'll get, though, is very likely an R15 which isn't TiVo-powered and does not depend on Tivo dialin numbers.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

Advertisements

It *could* be a hard drive problem. You're best bet is to try the less destructive "clear" options before the full-blown "clear and delete everything". If you decide to replace the hard drive, check out these sources of information .....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=25

http://www.weaknees.com/index.html

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake.cfm

http://www.9thtee.com/

Once you get it working again, just leave the phone line disconnected.

6. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    The new DirecTV DVR may not cost you anything upfront, but you'll probably need to commit to 1 to 2 years of service with DirecTV if you accept their 'free' DirecTV DVR.

If the Clear doesn't work, and if you're comfortable swapping hard drives between your Tivo and PC, then I'd try a new hard drive. It'll only cost you the price of a new hard drive ($50) to try it out and if unsuccessful - you can always install the drive in your PC.

7. dollbaby

dollbaby New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks everyone, I am going to try the clearing options before I go to a full blown clear and reset of everything. I was just curious because read some posts where you press certain numbers such as 57 or otherwise to clear problems up and wondering if there was some sort of secret fix that the DirectTV tech didn't tell me (she sounded like she just started working there & was unsure of her answers.)

If someone does not mind, I noticed the clear and reset option on my menu, can I just go about it this way if all else fails or do I need to press that red button, etc? Sorry if I am sounding like a dummy on this, i've never had to deal with any of this before. Thanks so much again, I will keep my fingers crossed - AND, keep the unit unplugged this time!!!

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    The various menu reset options require you to press "Thumbs Down" three times before they begin. I don't think your Tivo has a "red button" on the front panel.