Advice for new home - wiring for DTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by sher, Jan 20, 2006.

1. sher

sher New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    I currently have directv and have 3 tivo's. 2 are about 16 months old and mine is about 5 years old maybe 4. During some recent remodeling I ensured I ran two cables to the basement and provided at least 2 different placements per room. Since I'm doing the work myself, and cabling is cheap, easier to do while sheetrock is gone.

Now decided to buy a new home. Just met with the builder and they only provide 2 cable runs (why they are so cheap on this these days boggles me). Anyhow I MUST have 2 runs to each outlet and must have at least 1 set per bedroom etc.

They charge 75.00/run. Gonna be expensive. But must be done.

On the way home I was thinking what will DTV do when I get the move/new installation with them? Will they run a cable to a room with no cable outlets? (Thinking I could pay the installer to add the 2nd. )

Or is it just easier/safer to have the builder to it and forget it.

My sister had her DTV installer in the attic running cable only to fall through the ceiling into her dining room. I don't really want a repeat or possibility of that.

Since my year is up now, can I get any new directivos?

Thanks Sheri

2. shanew1289

shanew1289 New Member

May 6, 2004
    edwardsville...
    Directv installers only drill holes through your exterior walls and hang it along your siding.

Going into basement, extra charge, going into Attic, Double extra charge.

I would tell the builder to let you run your own damn lines. I was able to add a TON of things to my house as I was building it. Hell, I ran a 12 inch wide board up in the rafters from one end of the house to the other. Now the blown in insulation is right under it and I was able to add an Antenna for OTA real easy in the attic.

if you cant do it for whatever reason, I guess pay the man. Meetings the guy there as he is doing it with an extra 500 foot roll of RG6 could help get you some things done cheaper. O, and BEER!

GL

3. ronpp

ronpp Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Virginia...
    I ran cable on a saturday without asking, did the same set up on a new house. It was all pulled out by the electrician, supposedly it wouldn't pass code. Whatever. My neighbor also did the same thing, showed up when the electrician was working, gave him a spool of cable, several dual outlets, extra phone cord and $200 cash. That passed code ;-) Much cheaper than paying to run per room.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Ask the builder if you can help with installing the RG-6. Also, determine a central location where all cables will be run, including the ones from the dish location.

And while you are at it, figure out where you might need cat5e cable.

5. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Also, you REALLY should run at least 4 coax lines to your "main" viewing areas, like where you would put a DVR &/or HD receiver. It may seem like overkill now, but those extra lines will come in handy for such things as an off-air/cable feed, back-feeds to the rest of the house, etc. (& it is much easier than messing around with diplexing the same stuff) As you said, running coax now is dirt cheap & you'll be thanking yourself later that you did this.

6. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Show up with a spool of wire and a 6 pack when the electrician is there and ask what it would cost to do the job under the table or if he would mind if you did the low voltage stuff yourself. I don't think that there are any code requirements for low voltage wiring (YMMV), they don't even require a box in my town. Do this any or all of the trades working on the house, want an extra outlet ask the electrician directly they are usually glad to do it for an extra couple of bucks ( lot less than you builder would charge). Oh and I agree run 4 or 5 (4 sat, 1 OTA) RG6 in main viewing area and 2 cat 5 (1 for network 1 for phone (cat 5 is better quality than phone)) all over the house.

My biggest mistake when I built 13 years ago was not planning for the future. If you already know where your TV is going to be set up you already have a good idea where an A/V receiver would go, run speaker wire in the wall to convenient locations and at least leave them inside the wall if you don't need them now or put in a speaker wire plate in the wall. and leave a lot of extra in the ceiling in case you do need to move them later. A little planning now will save a ton of work next year, or keep wires from being run around the base board. Know where all the AV equipment is going, put in an extra power outlet or 2 nearby.

Enjoy the new home.

7. JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    When D* was new you needed a dual LNB dish and two runs of coax to your multiswitch. More recently, four runs of coax with a diplexed local antenna was the norm. With the newest dish, five runs of coax are needed as the local antenna can no longer be diplexed. If this trend continues I predict you will some day need 45 runs of coax cable between the 100 LNB dish and your multiswitch to feed the new HR90-7500 DVRs in your house. HMO/MRV will still be broken.

8. shanew1289

shanew1289 New Member

May 6, 2004
    edwardsville...
    Low voltage doesnt have too many code problems except when it is in the same wall as Electric. Insulation has to be 300 v or greater (cheap stuff is not usually) etc etc etc.

4 cables is ideal. I needed 6 after running 4. Who knew I would need 2 for HR10-250, 2 for HDVR2, 1 for OTA (yes could diplex and drop the requirement to 5) and one for re-routing the HDVR2 output to additional TV's.

Anyways you do it, you may be changing it. Having him drill 3/4 holes instead of 1/2 would also help. Use his cable to pull in yours at a later date.

I also ran some 1 inch conduit from the basement to the attic. pulling wires are a breeze.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=6757