Advice for how to watch TIVo on Mac Catalina

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by abbydancer, Sep 13, 2020.

1. abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Hi,

I did try a search, but may have not used great terms ...

I've had a mac for years, and had Toast Titanium 10 on it. I download my shows from my Tivo (series 3 HD) to a Windows system, and then move them to a passport drive, and use Toast 10 video player to watch them on the Mac when traveling (which I hope to someday do again).

I just got a new Mac that's on Catalina. Clearly Toast 10 won't work. I tried asking them about upgrading to Toast 18, but was unable to get a good answer about whether I'll be able to use it to watch shows.

So, what's a good way to take a tivo recording, (.TIVo format) and watch on Catalina?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and help.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Make sure you have Java 8 on your Mac, then use KMTTG to download your shows. Be sure you have decrypt enabled. This way you do not need titanium, a separate drive. and all this other stuff.
    You can then watch the .MPG files and not have to worry about .Tivo files since its decrypted.

3. abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks. Question. I've got shows on the passport drive that are no longer on my TIVO. Will I be able to watch those?

Thanks.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If it cannot play .TiVo files, then just decrypt them in KMTTG, which uses TivoDecode. Its simple, go to the Files tab, add them in (ADD button), also if you know how to drag-and-drop them in to the pane. Be sure decrypt is checked, then highlight the shows and click Start.