Advanced Format WD20EURX - won't boot in 4 tuner Premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by zekeman, Dec 19, 2015.

1. zekeman

zekeman New Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I finally decided to upgrade my 4 tuner Premier. Searched the forums, figured out which drive to get and purchased a WD20EURX from Amazon. After the drive arrived I dutifully followed the instructions using the rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/ instructions.

Drive copied fine. Drive expanded and supersized with no issues.

Problems arose when I put the drive back into the Tivo - all the lights on the front of the Tivo flashed and it wouldn't boot. I put it back into my machine and JMFS is able to see the drive (and the fact that it's a Tivo drive), but I can't get the drive to boot in the Tivo.

Further investigation revealed that it's an Advanced Format drive and I presume that's the issue (from what I've read), but haven't seen anywhere how to resolve the issue. Can someone point me in the direction of directions to setup and use an Advanced Format drive in my 4 tuner Premier?

Many thanks in Advance.

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The WD20EURX should work fine in the Premiere. I'm using 2 of them in my even older S3 OLED's. You might want to post in the JMFS thread below instead.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=455968

Scott

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The WD20EURX and its predecessor the WD20EURS are both Advanced Format, and in 3 648s and 2 652s I've been running several EURSs and at least one EURX which I got from newegg back in June of 2014, and I've never had a problem with any of them until the EURX I got early this week.

And it seems I'm not the only one suddenly having problems setting up a recently acquired EURX.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=535260

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=535282

So I'm not sure what's going on.

What brand motherboard are you doing the copy and expand on?

4. zekeman

zekeman New Member

Nov 30, 2015
    My motherboard is old - don't recall what it is, but if it's really important I'll dig it up.

I think there is a pattern here then. I've now gone through 3 drives and each one has had issues. Before I copied the latest (3rd drive), I connected it to my PC and tried to test it. When I ran Lifeguard it claimed to have a data cyclic error, then wouldn't recognize the drive on subsequent reboots.

What other drive should I try using? 3rd strike on these EURX drives (and they seem to be out of production according to B & H.)

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I don't know the answer to what to get instead, or I'd make a point of passing that info along to myself.

As I mentioned, I got an EURX about a year and a half ago and had no problem setting it up and it's been happily working around the clock in a 648 ever since.

It was an AF drive when it was made, and the predecessor, the WD20
    EURS, of which I'm using several, was an AF drive as well.

So somewhere between last year and this year WD changed something aboiut the EURX (4 or 5 days ago they were supposed to get back to me in a couple of days, haven't seen a peep out of them).

If they can do it to that model, how can I trust anything else of theirs not to have been "improved"?

Most of the stuff commonly available at reasonable prices are 7200 RPM drives, which is faster, and hotter, than the TiVo needs.

The reasons I asked about the motherboard were

1. I first tried to do it on a made for HP Asus board, and one of the other people having problems mentioned they were using an HP board

2. The nasty habit many GigaByte boards have of putting a Host Protected Area on drives as soon as you boot, and with no indication that it's doing so.

I've got some non-AV 2TB WD Greens I've been using to store shows on transferred from TiVo to PC, and I think I'll try to free up one or more of them since I've found that the WD My Book externals will work with XP at sizes greater than 2TB (the enclosure itself does some 4K to 512 voodoo that makes it possible), and I can move shows off of one or more of the Greens.

Seagate had a 5400 RPM 2TB drive, but from the reviews it seems that the 3 I have and have been using in a PC for show storage are the only ones of the entire production run not to give trouble.

6. zekeman

zekeman New Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Not running either: I've got an ASUS M4A79XTD. Prior to these drives I never had an issue.

Did some research and it looks like WD merged their Green drives into their Blue line, so I'm going to try using a WD20EZRZ I picked up from B&H and see if that works. Haven't seen much info about it online, so we'll see. I'll let you know my findings.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Exactly, they changed something without word or warning.

Previously I don't think they made the Blues in 5400 RPM versions.
    So now it's even easier to not know what you're getting unless you know what to look for and know that you need to look in the first place.

And if you buy a retail box version of a drive, or an external, you can never be sure in advance what you're going to get.

How you increase profits by making it harder for the customer to get what they want I haven't quite yet figured out.

Unless they're just trying to train us to shut up and take whatever they feel like selling.

8. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  9. zekeman

zekeman New Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I ended up getting 2. A 2gb and a 4gb since they had both in stock and I was there. Both are 5400 RPM. The label says they're "Everyday Storage". We'll see.

Since I have the 4gb, I think I'm going to go for the gusto and jump straight from Stock to 4gb. If I download and get MFSTools 3.2 up and running, what's the command to copy straight from a stock drive to a 4GB drive and do all the expansion? Looked and looked - couldn't find the procedure spelled out.

Thanks!

10. zekeman

zekeman New Member

Nov 30, 2015
    After a bunch of stops and starts, I finally got it working. Details below.

Drive: WD40EZRZ - A 4TB Blue Drive

1. Using HDD Raw Copy I copied MFSTools_3.2_i586.i686-0.0.13.oem.tar onto a USB Key (Message #131 from here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=529148&page=5)

2. Booted up using the USB Key

3. Logged in with:
    username: root
    password: tivo

4. Verified which drive was which with fdisk -l

5. Copied Drive A to Drive B: mfstool copy -ai /dev/sda /dev/sdb

Once the drive copied (about 4 hours), I put it into my Tivo, started it up and voila, Bob's your uncle and I have 630+ hours of HD on my Premier.

Thanks all!

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Glad to hear of your sucess even though it doesn't shine any light on why the EURX line no longer can be relied upon.

I still haven't heard anything back from WD.

12. Unitary

Unitary New Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I too tried to upgrade my Premier with a 2TB WD20EURX. The cloning process works fine, but when I put it into the TIVO lights blink on and off (I'm presuming it's rebooting trying to find a hard drive.)

My feeling is that some firmware changes now make the drive take too long to initialize and the TIVO just believes that no drive is connected. Evidence for this is that when the WD20EURX drive is connected to my computer it doesn't spin up until I can see the post screen upon boot up. All my other WD drives (RE4 and Green) spin up immediately upon pressing the power button. In the TIVO the original 500GB Seagate drive and a 2GB Green drive (circa 2010) both spin up immediately, but the WD20EURX fails to spin up at all.

Disappointing that it seems like changes to the EURX line prevent their use in some TIVO Premiers.

Anyone found a workaround?

13. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Check out this thread and see if you have to disable power-up in standby (PUIS/PM2).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=536101

Scott

14. Unitary

Unitary New Member

Jan 26, 2016
    That's exactly what needed to be done! Thank you, everything works now.

15. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Great! Can you tell us the full model number of the drive, manufacture date and where you got it?

Scott

16. Unitary

Unitary New Member

Jan 26, 2016
    The hard drive was purchased directly from Amazon (not a 3rd party through Amazon). Model WD20EURX-57T0FY0 with manufacture date code June 23, 2015 from Thailand. The drive appears to be identical the OP's in the other thread, just made two days later.

17. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Thanks! I did see your post in the thread in the Upgrade Center after I replied here but probably good to have the information in both threads. :)

Scott