Adding TiVo Desktop on Another Computer

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by coreybryant, Jul 29, 2011.

1. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    I am running out of space on my two TiVos and I purchased a 3 terabyte hard drive yesterday. I have TiVo Desktop on one computer in the basement as well (that works on both TiVos).

I entered the media access key from the old one (about 8 years old). I cannot find a way to enter another media access key but when I go to pick recordings to transfer, I do see both of them. Does this matter at any point?

On the computer in the basement, I could transfer the show from the old TiVo and then choose to play it on the new computer.

I just wanted to make sure this will be the same. I am using version 2.8.2 on my main computer, but I will probably not use the Bonjour service if this affects my Internet connection like it did a couple of years ago.

Thank you,

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The MAK should be the same on all TiVos on the same account.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Tivo Desktop only allows entry for one Media Access Key. If you have different MAK's on your Tivos, then you either need to call TiVo and have them merged on your account, or you have to live with changing the MAK in Tivo Desktop anytime you want access to a particular Tivo.

Regarding the subject line, you should have no problems running Tivo Desktop on multiple computers.

4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I have the registered version on one and an unregistered version on the another. I was told that only one installation of the registered version was allowed.

True?

You'd think you could run multiple copies all using the same MAK on the same network.

5. gtaylor

gtaylor Member

Jan 8, 2002
    California
    The Media Access Key should be the same for all TiVos on your account.

Are you perhaps referring to the code to upgrade TiVo Desktop to the Plus version?

gary

6. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks! I did not think about checking the other TiVo's Media Access Key. I had a lot of shows I needed to get off of the older one and that was my priority. I checked the new one and it had the same Media Access Key.