Adding storage capacity to a TCD840300 Roamio Pro

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Molly Magnolia, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Molly Magnolia

Molly Magnolia New Member

Nov 29, 2019
    TiVo do not appear to be selling internal drives and I need more storage.

I would like larger storage capacity in my TCD840300 Roamio Pro which has the original 3TB hard drive.

I would prefer to add capacity so I can easily keep all my shows, not replace the original drive unless that is the only option.

Which product is recommended and is there an upper limit on capacity of extra storage?

Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. Molly Magnolia

Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    JoeKustra likes this.
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo no longer makes/sells the Tivo extender drives which is an external drive that connects to the esata port on the back of the Tivo. After a number of years, it would fail and you lose your recordings.

The better method is to replace the internal drive with a WD Red (Not Red Pro, 7200+ RPM) drive. If you want to keep shows and settings/passes, it would need to be connected, both old and new drives, to a computer and use MFSTools 3.x. This process can take many hours, or overnight.

If you just want to replace the drive, you can just swap out that internal with a new one, up to 3TB or up to 8TB with the final step of connecting to a computer and run a Windows program MFSR. All shows and settings may be lost but it would still be on the original drive.

Molly Magnolia likes this.
  5. Molly Magnolia

Nov 29, 2019
    Thank you ThAbtO.
    The 3TB drive is 93% full, I expect that amount will take a long time to transfer, but I don't want to lose any of the shows.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Use KMTTG to transfer the non-copy-protected shows to a computer. You can also copy the passes with KMTTG.
    This can be your backup copy of the shows.

They can later be transferred back to the Tivo with PyTivo. If its running v21.x of the Tivo software, then shows can't be transferred back (look under System Information).