Adding poster art to the PyTiVo mobile web app!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have been playing around a little bit with the PyTiVo UI html... Not long ago the look was refreshed for mobile devices by one of the contributers.

I liked the look on my iPad, but decided I needed to add something a little bit extra for the DVD archive on my server. Poster Art!

I pull the art from an online movie database api and use the metadata title and year. I can extend this to the TiVo repositories too - but since they are mostly television programs, I need to see if I can find a source for that art... Anyway - I have been sitting in an office so long, it was nice to actually play with the code again.

Tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You might want to talk to dlfl since he grabs poster art for TV shows in MetaGenerator 3. Looks like he's using TVDB and TVRage.

I'll have to try out the new mobile UI for pyTivo as well, looks nice.

3. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I am using the mmetagenerator 3, and that is what originally got me thinking about this... But as I got into the project - getting the script to find the right directory and get the proper reference just turned into a pain.

So, I figured it would be easier to make the web call myself. Also, if I want to grab the poster art from the TiVo collections - this approach will allow me to do that.

I just need to work on getting the call for television art to work a little better before I commit to that.

4. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I actually thought there would be more interest in this! :rolleyes: I think this is a pretty cool hack - I love being able to see the poster art when I am browsing my movie library...

[​IMG]

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You're pulling those images from the internet, though, right? I have all my poster art in .meta folders along with the other metadata (for streambaby and vidmgr) so it'd be cool if you could use the local art/files instead of downloading external ones. That'd probably be faster too ...

Of course, I'm saying all this having not used the mobile UI fork of pyTivo yet. :)

6. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I started this project with exactly that goal.

But, sadly I must admit - I just could not get my code to work. I started with the image name from the metagen 3 metatdata file and then tried to dynamically append that to the path from the directory.

Unfortunately, I have videos in multiple shares on my server and I just could not get the code nailed down to generate the path information. I did not go digging through the python - so there might be a way, but I decided this was a more bullet proof solution.

Since this UI can only be used at home via wifi - it generates the poster art very quickly.