1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding mini to roamio with Frontier fios triple play

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Ismelllikepoop, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:34 PM.

1. Ismelllikepoop

Ismelllikepoop New Member

Thursday
    have frontier triple play fios with the frontier moca adapter at the router. Have the roamio hooked up with cable card. We have no hard wire, everything is wireless. The minis are in rooms hooked up via COAX since there is no hard wire Ethernet. How do I hook everything up? I got a TiVo bridge to hook up at the roamio since I don’t have the version with a bridge. It won’t connect to TiVo services via Ethernet. Without the bridge hooked up there is no option for Moca. Not sure what I need to do short of renting more frontier cable boxes.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 11:20 PM
  2. david.nicksic

david.nicksic New Member

Jan 30, 2016
    In a similar install with Comcast I had to do away with the Comcast MOCA services in order to make the TIVO MOCA work. I tried playing with some different MOCA settings but I never found a configuration that allowed them to coexist.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If you have a common/shared coax setup including where the minis are located, this should not be too difficult. If you are using one of the Fios G1100 or Arris NVG468MQ routers, you already have MoCA LAN on your system and should be able to connect your minis via MoCA. If you have a stand alone MoCA adapter from Frontier, and you are getting Internet via coax, the only one I have seen is for use on the MoCA WAN side only, you would still need either one of the routers mentioned above or another separate/standard LAN side MoCA adapter to connect to the Roamio and possibly one nearby your router.
    If you are using your own router without builtin MoCA, then you would need to use another MoCA adapter near the Roamio unless you can get Ethernet from the router to it.

4. Ismelllikepoop

Thursday
    have the arris 468 with eero set up in bridge mode. figured it already has the moca set up but the tivo doesn’t seem to recognize it. i have the roamio without moca built in, i thought it didn’t matter since the arris already has a moca set up but bought a tivo bridge anyways to see and it doesn’t do anything. ended up moving an eero to connect the tivo to ethernet. would prefer to figure out moca since i wouldn’t have to have bridges next to each mini. thanks

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The 468 should provide your MoCA LAN, per its data sheet:

The NVG468MQ Gateway provides a MoCA 2.0 LAN interface to connect with Set-tops and other MoCA compatible devices at speeds up to 600Mbps.

... assuming you're using the 468 as your main gateway, and have the eero in bridge mode.

Have you checked whether MoCA is enabled via the 468's UI? Is the 468 connected to your coax plant? How is your 468 physically connected?

A simple test would be to use a 2-way splitter at the 468, temporarily, to connect both the gateway and your TiVo Bridge. With this simple setup the TiVo Bridge's coax/MoCA status LED should light-up if/when it establishes a MoCA connection with the 468. (You could then connect a laptop to the TiVo Bridge if you wanted to verify networking.)

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good thing you bought the TiVo Bridge, since, as @fcfc2 pointed-out, with your 468 establishing your MoCA LAN on your coax plant, you'll still need the TiVo Bridge at your 4-tuner Roamio location to provide the DVR with its wired network connection.

You'll need to use a 2-way splitter to connect both the Roamio and TiVo Bridge to the coax wall outlet, and then connect the Roamio to the bridge's Ethernet port*. The TiVo Bridge should automatically establish its MoCA connection, and the Roamio would be configured for an Ethernet connection (since that's how it's connected).

* You can optionally use a network switch at the Roamio location if you have multiple devices that would benefit from a wired Ethernet connection. You'd then connect the TiVo Bridge, Roamio and these other devices to the switch, rather than using the direct Ethernet connection between the bridge and Roamio.

p.s. The above assumes the basic MoCA functionality of the 468 and TiVo Bridge were proven per the previous post's test.

7. Ismelllikepoop

Thursday
    internet is from coax to the 468. logging in to the router says moca is enabled. i have a two way moca compatible splitter to the roamio and to the tivo bridge with ethernet going to the roamio. it fails when attempting ethernet connection for tivo update, but both lights on the bridge are green. tried multiple cables in case one was defective. sadly don’t have any computers with LAN ports anymore to test.

8. Ismelllikepoop

Thursday
    thanks for your guys help

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You've configured the Roamio for an Ethernet connection, via its Network Settings screen? What does the Roamio report for network status?

10. Ismelllikepoop

Thursday
    it fails

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Since you're trying to work through a networking issue, is there any way that you can temporarily set the Roamio up with a direct Ethernet connection to the router, to verify there's not some other internal issue with the Roamio?

e.g. Long Cat5/6 cable strung between rooms? Temporarily moving the gateway to the Roamio location? Or temp moving the Roamio to the gateway location, possibly only connecting the network and video connections in order to evaluate network connectivity?

12. Ismelllikepoop

Thursday
    i ended up using one of the Eero bridges to connect to the roamio via ethernet. works fine that way just kind of clunky with each tivo mini with a bridge to use ethernet instead of just hooked up via coaxial.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    While trying to get the Roamio's TiVo Bridge working, I recommend powering down the Minis and any other MoCA devices aside from the main Arris 468 gateway.

You say the status lights on the Roamio's TiVo Bridge are both lit, so I'm wondering what MoCA device it might be connecting to if the Roamio is unable to establish a connection to the router.

p.s. As an afterthought, is the Roamio configured to obtain its IP address via DHCP or is it manually configured?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I gotta say, I'm having a hard time figuring out what actual equipment you have and how you have it connected. The above statement makes it sound like you have a MoCA adapter at each Mini location, plus some other extraneous "Frontier MoCA adapter at the router."

MoCA will be preferable to wireless, so I strongly recommend taking a step back and producing a diagram, however rough, of your TiVo and networking gear, and how it all connects via coax and Ethernet.

How many Minis are you looking to connect, and does each Mini location have a connected coax outlet?

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    By "rca," above, did you mean coaxial cable (coax)?

16. Ismelllikepoop

Thursday
    meant coax. what the initial install was receiving frontier internet via coaxial to the arris router/moca. the wifi signal from the arris is disabled, and i have it connected directly to one eero in bridge mode for an eero mesh setup. in the bedroom i hooked up the coaxial line to a two way splitter, one going to the roamio and the other to the tivo bridge then ethernet cable to the tivo. both lights are green. the tivo doesn’t even give me the option to enable moca and it fails to connect via ethernet at all. the minis are in other rooms hooked up via coax.

since i could not get this to work i disconnected the tivo bridge and just hooked up the roamio and minis via ethernet with wifi bridges. it has been working all day with a few skips every once in a while but like you said i’d rather have moca than wifi.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Still need to read your latest post, but based on my interpretation of what you've said prior, your setup should be similar to the following diagram (with the ONT off page)...

ISmellLikePoop eg1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM
  18. Ismelllikepoop

Thursday
    2ED73411-1B69-4C27-8664-B0868FA53766.jpeg

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Got your diagram; will review.

In the meantime, would it be possible for you to try testing a Mini MoCA connection using the following temporary setup, with the Mini connected via a 2-way splitter parallel to the Arris (MoCA) gateway?

test.png
    You'd just need a video connection (not audio), so even a basic computer monitor with an HDMI connection would work.

Again, the above test would best be performed with any other MoCA devices powered-off (meaning the TiVo Bridge and any other Minis).

p.s. The test result you'd be looking for is just configuring the Mini for a MoCA connection and being able to connect to the TiVo service. Accessing the host DVR would be dependent on the DVR being networked, and could be affected by its wireless connection.

20. Ismelllikepoop

Thursday
    wouldn’t that essentially be the same as disconnecting the roamio and leaving the mini hooked up just to the coax in the room it’s in? when i had it connected before the mini would time out and say issue with moca network. will give this stuff a try this weekend, really appreciate your time in helping out.