Adding HR10-250 to existing Multiswitch?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by berryb, Jan 6, 2006.

1. berryb

berryb New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Southern CA
    :confused: OK! After studying the "LNB and Multiswitch FAQ's" and several other posts on multiswitch requirements I've managed to have gotten lost in the LNB/Multiswitch Jungle.

My question has to do with adding a new HR10-250 to my present system:

I've been using an inside "Terk 2 IN 4 OUT Multiswitch" - two outputs to feed my Philips DirecTiVo AND for awhile, one output to a bedroom DirecTV receiver.
    (Which I dropped sometime back - Who can ever again watch regular TV after using TiVo?)

They're coming out Monday, Jan. 9th. to install a new HR10-250 with a DirecTV Multi-Satellite antenna.
    Per the DTV downloaded Installation Manual, the antenna comes with "Integrated Triple LNB and Built-in Multi-Switch."

Is it possible to use my original two RG-6 cables from that antenna's multiswitch into the Terk and then use it's 4 outputs - two for the DirecTiVo AND two for the new HR10-250?

I ask, because while some installers appear knowledgeable, others are not. On two separate occasions for our two daughter's DirecTV install's in two different communities, hundred's of miles apart, each installer used one existing "Cable TV" RG-59 cable and one new RG-6 cable! Rather than waste the cable ???

Sorry to be so dumb on both the subject and finding my way around the forest! :)

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    No, the existing 2x4 switch won't pass signals from the 110/119 sats.

Short runs using RG-59 can work. In your case, the installer should run two more RG-6 lines from the new triple LNB dish. If possible have them run to a central or common location. There, another multiswitch could be added if you ever need more than 4 ouptuts.

3. berryb

berryb New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Southern CA
    WOW, Jim, that was a QUICK response and I really appreciate it.

Next Question: Is there a different multiswitch that I can replace mine with that WOULD work for both the old TiVo and the HD TiVo? I'd sure like to avoid an additional dish up there - It already looks like an antenna farm as is! (old Ham Radio saying.) I also hate the thought of hiding two more RG-8's, like my existing cables are.

On the front edge of my roof, I have the existing Satellite dish, whose two RG-6 cables are carefully routed through the attic, then down inside my living room 'Home Theater,' where they're routed around the walls in Wiremold conduit, to my equpment rack. More WireMold runs along the same path to carry Front speaker wiring and Monster Component cables to my Sony widescreen.

Next to that dish, I have another huge dish for DirecWay two-way Satellite Internet. We're out in the boondocks here in Acton, CA with NO DSL or Internet Cable .

Beyond that is an OTA HDTV antenna which hopefully can come down. I understand DTV also carries LOCAL ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC HD channels from Los Angeles. (Unless that's something in MPEG4 I'm reading about, requiring the newer HR20-250??? Our OTA only brings in HDTV from CBS and NBC.

And finally behind the house IS a Ham Radio Vertical antenna . . .

(On second thought, one more dish wouldn't make too much difference on the Antenna Farm aspect, would it!)

BUT I'd like to avoid that new cable routing. I don't want it just slapped on like the Installer is likely wanting to do!

As far as more than 4 outputs go, I already route my TV around the house using X10's 2.4 GHz Video senders. They'll have occasional interference, but sure beat running more cables around the place!

Thanks again, Bert

4. DrEvil

DrEvil Evil Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Apex, NC
    You would need all four cables from the built in multiswitch on the oval dish to feed a cascadable 4(or 5)x8 multiswitch to be able to access all three orbital slots, 101 Degree A satellites that you are getting now, plus the 110/119 C/B satellite slots.

There is a very expensive way to combine the odd/even 101 transponders on one cable, and the 110/119 odd/even transponders on a second cable with two stacker systems. That would run $500 to $600 for the equipment and you would need an older Phase II oval dish with individual LNB's. Installers will only have Phase III ovals with the intergrated LNB's/multiswitch.

www.sonoradesign.com/dtvsystemspages/dtvsystems_dishes_tsat242.html

Also, this will not work in the future when DirecTV starts rolling out MPEG4 HD. That uses a bigger AT9 dish that picks up five orbital slots.

www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp

It's going to be a lot cheaper to run two more cables from the new oval dish, and be more compatable in the future.

5. berryb

berryb New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Southern CA
    Thanks, DrEvil & Jim.
    After replying to Jim, I slept on this problem and began to wonder if that's basically what Jim was trying to explain to me and I, being lazy, was resisting that possibility!

I have to admit I was seduced by seeing the photos of huge arrays of multiswitches and thought "How darn difficult can my 'simple' setup be?"

Somewhere in this Multiswitch Maze, I did run across a "four-cable" photo diagram that I can no longer find in the Forum. Unfortunately, I didn't save the Member's name, which might've allowed me to find it again. He credits Feldon with help on his setup.

I'd copied it out to a Word document and I'm studying it now. He shows two of the four cables going to the HDTivo, just as you said. He has the other two cables going to a 2x4 multiswitch whose four outputs serve two different DTiVos.

I mention this because if that DOESN'T work, I'll have to run FOUR new RG-6's! My existing cables reach my DTivo via the multiswitch and two 6 ft. 'jumper' RG-6's. Eliminating the multiswitch would leave those two entrance RG-6's far too short!

What do you think?

6. berryb

berryb New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Southern CA
    Update: My old 2x4 Multiswitch DID serve in one way! When the DTV installer found it installed, he furnished and replaced it with a Zinwell 4X8, no charge!

He did want to use my 2 existing cables for the new dish (saying "Why keep the old DSR6000? The new HR10-250 is much better.") Since I told him I wanted both he went ahead and installed the 2 new cables.

As for the new unit being 'better' it has restarted itself four days in a row so far, and in at least one case in the middle of a recording. Tech Support solution, "Do a Clear and Delete" (???) Does that seem logical?

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm glad you resisted the installer's suggestion. So he was willing to install a new 4x8 switch but wanted to only use the two lines from the dish. This installer didn't think that through very well did he?

I would keep the DSR6000 for SD content and reserve the HDTiVo for HD shows.

Lately, clear and delete is the CSR cureall for anything wrong. It used to just be the reboot. If it keeps restarting, have it replaced.

8. berryb

berryb New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Southern CA
    Hi Jim, That was his initial perception of my situation. Probably many non-TiVoholics would go for that instead of paying for a second box. Once he realized I really wanted both he had no problems with the second set and was more than accomodating.

It was only after he entered the house and found the old multiswitch, that he went back out to the truck and brought in the new one, without asking! I mentioned that I'd planned to install a ground block on the old dish and he brought two of them in, also.

OK on the DSR6000 - good suggestion on the SD. I installed two drives in it three years ago, an 80 Gb and a 100 Gb and it works great except it's always full! I was in the middle of a (non-working) InstantCake 300 Gb installation when I heard about the $200. rebate on the HR10, so the update drive sets on the bench until I have more time.

As I mentioned somewhere in this string, after the c&d last night, shortly after my 'Guided Setup' this AM, the HR10 booted again. I called Tech Support and they're shipping out a new box.