Adding HBO Go app to your Xfinity/Comcast with Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sandi_k, Nov 19, 2019.

1. sandi_k

sandi_k New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    So I came here before to search, and couldn't find the answer. I started reading any thread that mentioned HBO, and finally found a solution for our Tivo and Comcast XFinity problem.

Several months ago, the clunky "XFInity on Demand" interfacec disappeared off our Tivo Apps menu, even though our season pass for "Last Week Tonight" still recorded. So clearly HBO was still *possible*.

With lots of persistence, I found a thread called "The Spite of Comcast: HBO Go" which contained the "super secret handshake" you need to re-activate HBO access on your existing Tivo box. So I'm adding it as a separate thread for easy discovery...

1) Seems to work consistently with the Safari browser (I'd been using Chrome):

2) Open the HBO Go app on our TV, and choose Sign In. It will give you a code on-screen.

3) On your computer/phone, go to hbogo/signintv and entered the code a

4) Choose Xfinity as your provider.

5) It will tell you that that provider does not support HBO Go; hit refresh on the browser.

6) At the bottom of the screen, you should then click on "Choose another provider"

7) Select Xfinity again

Now it works.

Thanks so much to krkaufman, BigJim, morac and chiguy50 for the encouragement and confirmation.

tim1724, strafe, jim t. and 3 others like this.
  2. sandi_k

sandi_k New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Ugh. These instructions no longer work. We've been kicked out of our HBO Go logon, and now we have no access.

Anyone else solved this issue recently? We logged on last on Feb. 12th, and as of Feb. 22nd, it's no longer syncing.

3. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Try signing out and then back in.

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Did you keep refreshing. Some have reported it took 10 refreshes. Keep trying.

5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I tip my cap to this forum and its members. I could not get HBOgo on my Tivo. Thanks to you fine folks I kept refreshing my browser and eventually got the Xfinity sign in page. Thanks guys and gals!!

6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Watching The Outsider and first a moment DD+ popped up on my Receiver. This was an improvement to the DD 2.0. from the Stream app. The show however switched to PCM 2.0

7. coldtoes

coldtoes vermicious knid

May 29, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I love you so much. This worked perfectly. We have been frustrated for years that we couldn't get HBOGo with Xfinity on the TiVo.

8. Jun 7, 2020 #8 of 11
    LJ Tenison

LJ Tenison New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I just tried this with my TiVO Bolt and my son's iPad/Safari browser, and it works. I was able to add HBOGO to my TiVo apps and authenticate with my Xfinity account credentials. I already had HBOGO running on my Roku box, so I knew it was out there on the cable. Now, I can get to it on Tivo and not have to jump around. Odd how this works, seems like a programming error someplace in that authentication/activation logic. Oh well

9. Jun 8, 2020 #9 of 11
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    This also works with Chromium Edge as well (not sure if the browser matters).

Scott

10. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Hmm, wonder if the HBO Go app for TiVo will disappear next month?

HBO is getting rid of HBO Go, renaming HBO Now since HBO Max is live

The article does specify, however, that HBO Go will disappear from "primary platforms" as of July 31. I don't think anyone would call TiVo a primary platform. And since TiVos are actually deployed as cable boxes by some pay TV providers, I could see why they'd allow the app to live on that platform awhile longer (maybe indefinitely as a zombie app that never gets updated).

chiguy50 likes this.
  11. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I bet HBO forgot all about there being an HBO Go app on the Tivo.