Adding External esata drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by klyde, Sep 30, 2007.

1. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    I am waiting on my HD Tivo to come in. I want to add a 2nd 500gb HD to it as soon as I can. I understand that the esata port is enabled. I was wondering if anybody has added an IDE hard drive using either a IDE to sata adaptor or an external case that accepts an IDE drive or sata drive and has a esata output.

Thanks

2. Oct 1, 2007 #2 of 16
    Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    Considering the max. bandwidth for IDE is 133MB/s, and SATA II (recommended for TiVo) can do 300MB/s, something tells me you may have problems there...

3. Oct 1, 2007 #3 of 16
    Primate

Primate New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Just because the connections are capable of that speed doesn't mean the drives operate at that speed.

4. Oct 1, 2007 #4 of 16
    Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    True, but I don't have the numbers on me to come up with the cumulative effect of 5+ HD streams hitting a drive at once (counting 2 recording, 1 playing locally, and at least 2 network transfers - one in, one out - going on). Do you?

5. Oct 1, 2007 #5 of 16
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    FYI, several people tried using an IDE HDD adaptation in an S3 eSATA expansion attempt without success.

You'll probably get the answers you need by posting your questions on the existing THD/eSATA thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=365215

With regard to which drives, enclosures and cables to use, this post should give you all the info you need.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5124019&&#post5124019

6. Oct 1, 2007 #6 of 16
    klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    Thanks for the links, I did do a search and read for over an hour but never found that thread.

7. Oct 1, 2007 #7 of 16
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    No worries...it should probably be a sticky. The SE on this forum leaves a bit to be desired sometimes. Best of luck!

8. Oct 1, 2007 #8 of 16
    CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    SATA II is actually 3Gbps not 300Mbps like you indicated in the post above the one I'm quoting here.

The UDMA 6 standard that you're refering to for the IDE is 133MB/s -> 1Gbps.

Let's assume the streams you're refering to are HD and are pretty much maxing out at 19Mbps for the recorded shows and let's even assume you're getting download and upload rates at that for 5x19Mbps -> 95Mbps. You're at about 10% of the HDD throughput capability.

That said it's not uniform, and depending on optimization you could have some issues. The reality is the drive can handle it. With my HTPC I've recorded 4 simultaneous HD feeds, played back one recorded feed, and feed a second recorded feed to another PC using IDE HDD's.

Throughput capacity isn't the issue. That said, nobody's gotten it to work w/ TiVo S3/HD boxes yet.

CCourtney

9. Oct 1, 2007 #9 of 16
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Agree with your comments on the interface not being the bottleneck.

I think you may have misread his post though, as he said 300MB/s, not 300Mbps.

10. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    Mb (what you said) = megabit
    MB (what I said) = megabyte

Before you start correcting people, make sure you're reading things correctly yourself :)

11. jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    With the exception of a small number of Western Digital drives the physical mechanisms of the PATA and SATA drives is identical. The only difference is the interface and no PATA or SATA drive on the market is capable of moving data faster than 133mb/sec (current PATA speed). Not even close. The interface is not the bottleneck. The whole bits/bytes/giga/mega is irrelevant. No single SATA or PATA drive is going to be able to move data faster than the slowest available interface.

As for using a PATA to SATA adapter to connect an old PATA drive to the S3...Why bother? I use them for a few old drives in my new computer and they're completely transparent but I wouldn't go out of my way to use them. In theory, it should work but it's an unnecessary complication. SATA drives are no more expensive than PATA drives. Just buy a SATA drive. They're $100 for 500 gigs.

12. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    The advantage is I already have a spare 500gb IDE drive and I would have to buy a new SATA drive still leaving the 500gb IDE without a use.

13. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    True he did say it was 300MB/s which is still incorrect as that would be 2.4Gbps not 3Gbps which is actually what it is.

I apologize for my typo.

14. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Go back and read the 2nd line of my reply and it's pretty obvious I know the difference ;-)

And either you believe that Byte = 10 bit's for some odd reason instead of Byte = 8 bit's or you plan and simple did not have the correct data rate for SATA-II

15. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    It generally takes more than 8 bits to carry a byte across a serial line. There's likely at least one bit added for parity, and the Gb/s number includes all of that as well.

16. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Touche' - Yes, SATA-II utilizes a 10b/8b standard. Most people speak of Raw bandwidth and do not take overhead into consideration.