Adding channel to lineup on TIVO series 1 without subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by andipants, Sep 8, 2007.

1. andipants

andipants New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    My new (well, new to me) TIVO series 1 box has a satellite and cable lineup from its previous owners. I don't have a subscription (and I'm not planning on getting one) but I want to use it as a manual recorder. I only get the basic-est cable, but the channel numbers that come in on my cable line are weird - for example, NBC is on channel 14.

Right now, I have no way of watching NBC on the "watch live TV" mode because the previous owner's lineup did not include channel 14. I tried to use the special add unlisted channel method (enter channel number, press record, then press record again to cancel recording and the channel number now shows up in the listing). This method did add the channel, but it added it under Satellite instead of cable, so it looks for the wrong input source and I still can't watch the channel.

Does anyone know how I can add channel 14 under the cable input source? Maybe there's some way to prioritize input sources so that the method to add unlisted channels will add it under cable? Or maybe I can get rid of satellite as an input source all together? Or anything else I didn't think of.

Thanks for any help.

2. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Just Repeat Guided Setup and select the proper channel lineup for your area. You will need the modem to be working to get through Guided Setu. If the modem does not work, you will get stuck in guided setup.

3. andipants

andipants New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Oops, I forgot to mention that problem: the modem does not work. But even if it did, I don't think guided setup would work because I'm getting cable without a cable box, and the channels come in on channels that aren't sanctioned by the cable company. My cable company's listings would say that NBC is on channel 4, not my channel 14, because they don't support the non-cable box lineup even though they sell it.

So, any other ideas?

4. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    I don't know what "they don't support the non-cable box lineup even though they sell it" means, but if there is an analog lineup, tivo will probably have it. You can go to zap2it.com, click on "tv listings" and enter your zip code. More than likely, your analog lineup will appear.

The modem issue is more problematic. The tivo must contact the mothership to update the lineup. You may have to buy a turbonet card or replacement modem for it. These can be found at Weaknees.com or 9thtee.com.

5. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    IIRC you can do the following (or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me):

1. Manually tune to channel 14 on the TiVo
    2. Hit the record button to record the current program
    3. The channel will then appear in your Channels I Receive list

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I believe (also from a foggy memory) that after step 2 you need to hit the Record button again to stop the recording.