Adding a Mini Vox to a Roamio Plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by rgura, Mar 29, 2019.

1. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

After 2 years of wrestling with Google Fiber TV, I am throwing in the towel and moving back to Spectrum + TiVo.

I have a Roamio Plus and 2 Mini's (1 TCDA92000 and 1 TCDA 93000). Even after 2 years of gathering dust, everything still works., and I am thinking about adding a 3rd Mini (Vox).

If I understand things correctly, the Mini Vox has 4K, or at last UDH, capabilities. However, since my Roamio maxes out at 1080i and my cable provider (Spectrum) broadcasts at 1080i, I am wondering if the Mini Vox does any upscaling.

Question(s) regarding the new(er) TiVo Mini Vox:
    • With a Mini Vox connected to a Roamio, does the vox attempt any upscaling?
    • More importantly, will any of the associated apps (specifically Netflix and Prime) pickup the 4K stream natively? Or does the stream flow through the Roamio, thus downscaling to 1080i.
    Reason for asking is that I also run the TiVo through my Denon denon avr-x6400h receiver, which does its own 4K upscaling.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Mini VOX work just like (mostly) the A92 and A93 Mini units. The host is needed but not used for streaming services.

Adding a Mini VOX to a non-Hydra system will cause the Mini to drop back to TE3 and there will be no voice functions.

3. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Joe. I have been away from TiVo for 2 years, so I don't actually know what Hydra is...beyond all the negative feedback. Is it worth migrating to at this point? Or should I leave well enough alone?

(Voice remote controlling does not impress me much)

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You can find many threads on Hydra (TE4). I can't decide for you. It's easy to upgrade to TE4, but it has more graphics and a Bolt is a better platform. I have both TE3 and TE4 on Roamio boxes and see little difference. With your A92 and A93 Mini, I would probably stick with TE3. Note that the Mini VOX may only work in IR mode. It can still stream in 4k.

You may be prompted when you setup the A95 to upgrade your system. Please say no.