adding a drive to a Series 2 DT

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by buscuitboy, Jan 15, 2012.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have a Series 2 DT Tivo in a bedroom. It controls an external cable box. All is working great. I recently read that these older S2 units use IDE/PATA drives in them. I actually have some extra Seagate 80GB IDE drives lying around. They were pulled out of working PCs & still working to my knowledge.

It got me to wondering if I could "ADD" one of these 80GB drives to my working S2 DT TiVo. I read some posts on here and while I realize it could possibly be more cost effective to just get a new/bigger drive, some have said they have done it.

A special bracket is needed (from Weaknees). I've seen some mentions of heating issues could be come a factor. Is this true. Is it worth "adding" a FREE 2nd drive to my S2 DT?

2. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    That's a question only you can answer. If it were me I would use one of my larger drive laying around so I can stick to a single drive but you certainly can marry your current drive to another one and have double the recording space.

3. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I'd be willing to give it a shot & feel I could do it technically, but I guess I'm wondering more about the heating issue. Is it REALLY not recommended to have 2 drives in a Series 2 DT?

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I used to run dual drives in all of my S2 Tivos and never had a heat problem. 9th Tee also sells a bracket for S2 Tivos. I'm not sure if the internal configuration of the DT is the same as the earlier S2 Tivos so I don't know if the bracket is different.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Before you do anything else, go here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8706933#post8706933

and download both images as insurance against future problems and/or screwups.

Then use both WinMFS and the MFS Live cd v1.4 (which you should have anyway even if you dont' have a TiVo) and make both flavors of backup of your TiVo's drive.

Get the Seagate diagnostic software and run the long test on those "extra" drives before you double the number of drives in your TiVo that can go bad and keep you from getting to the recordings on either one.

You'd be surprised how expensive FREE can sometimes get.

The bracket Weaknees is showing for the DT appears to be the same as the one they sell for the 240 and 540 single tuner S2s.

The one they sold me in late 2010 is different.

And I just got an email back from them, it's the wrong picture.

It does what it's supposed to, but mounting two drives to it makes it heavy, off-balance, and unwieldy, and you have to snake cables through it while placing it into position, which, since we weren't intelligently designed enough to have 3 or 4 hands, means a chance of one end or corner hitting and damaging the motherboard.

If you're likely to replace both drives with bigger ones later this year when prices get sane again, then I could see the twinbreeze as a justifiable $40 expense to add an $8 dollar drive to your TiVo.