Added used HR10-250 & got a new 2yr agreement!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TCG, Jan 26, 2009.

1. TCG

TCG GATivoer

Feb 24, 2006
    Cumming, GA

Advertisements

I just activated a 2nd HR 10-250 last week that a neighbor gave me after ordering new access card from DTV. My plan was to use it as a trade in for the new HD DVR and keep my other 10-250 as a SD receiver as I have only one HDTV for now. This "new" HR10 is already having hard drive problems so, I called DTV to see what upgrade deal they would offer and they said they'd upgrade both of my DVR's & dish at zero cost...no install fee or shipping charge but will have to trade in both HR10's. Told her I wanted to keep one since it has OTA capability...she said her offer was only good for both as that what the system shows I have.

I then asked if a new 2 yr agreement was required...CSR said I already had a new agreement when I got the access card for the "new" HR10 last week! That was a shock...I told her no one mentioned that would be required when I activated the box and she said it was standard procedure when equipment was added. I guess it doesn't matter IF I go for the upgrade..figured that would be required anyway.

Should I just go for this deal (assuming its truely as they said) and let go of the old 10250? Not even sure I could get out of two yr committment now...probably if I raise enough he!! about it. Is the new HD DVR really bad as compared to the "Tivo style"? What are your thoughts/suggestions about my situation? Thanks for your advice!
    Tom

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, the DirecTV DVR is not bad. It's just different. In some ways it's better than the HR10.

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    You shouldn't be locked into a 2-year commitment if you own the Tivo, unless DirecTV has changed their policy on this since I left. The commitment should only apply to leased hardware.

4. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    They got me for a 2 year deal on even a "sneakier" method and no way out of it. Work on the upgrade deal since you will be with them for 2 more years. They usually let you keep HR10.

5. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007

Advertisements

2 year commitment is just standard for activating any receiver. Heck, they haven't had owned receiver for many years now so I'll bet there are hardly any CSRs that even understand this is an option. Is that an excuse? No, they should be able to handle it. But as with any company the CSRs are poorly trained usually. If you activate an old used owned receiver you just need to mention this is owned and shouldn't have a commitment extension and you may need to go to a supervisor.

Or frankly if you aren't going to be leaving then why even bother, not worth the fight.

6. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    It's called bargaining power!

I am currently not under any contract and I can threaten to leave - and I will if I get screwed - without penalty.

While I'm not planning to quit D*, I like the hold I have over them.

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    DirecTV's requirement of a 2-year commitment for activating new DVRs is one fo the primary reasons why I jumped ship and switched to FIOS. Verizon had just activated FIOS in my neighborhood and the HR20 HD-DVR had just been released in it's initial buggy state. At the time, DirecTV only had a handful of mpeg4 HD channels and they only offered four HD locals in my area.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of having to switch out my HDTivos for what was, at the time, a very buggy DVR, and the promise of a bunch of HD channels that hadn't been activated yet. The idea of jumping into another 2-year commitment on such an unknown quantity was more than I could deal with so I bailed and went with FIOS and an S3 Tivo. I can't say that I've ever regretted my decision one bit, and I was with DirecTV for about 10 years. I liked the product. I just didn't like their policies.

8. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Standard, possibly, but hardly the universal experience. I added an additional HR2x last month, incurring no contract extension at all. They even paid for it.

9. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008

Steve I've been listening to you for months now. You're an obvious proponent of the HR series. But to continuosly call it a good receiver is rediculous. Have you even noticed the amount of people complaining about these units over the last 1 1/2 years? Directv has itself admitted that it has been a "problem receiver". You really should stop promoting how the HR series is "just fine". It's very misleading to the people trying to get honest feedback. After all, Directv isnt bringing Tivo into the fold out of the goodness of their hearts. Directv is apparently unabable to produce stable DVR software.

10. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Sorry, but I really do think it's just fine. I have both an HR10 and an HR21 and have lived with the HR2X (I also have an HR20) for a year and a half now, so I have had time to do an extensive comparison. I've also been a TiVo user for going on nine years.

If all you do is look at forums for complaints, go look in the other sections here for the stream of complaints about the TiVoHD, with DOA units, units failing after weeks, units freezing and more.

If you look at dbstalk.com, you'll find a lot of people happy with the HR2X series. Sure, there are boxes with problems. There are TiVos with problems. (Dead modems, blown power supplies, corrupted disks - things I never hear about on the HR2X series.)

If all you do is read TCF, you'll get a bias from those who love TiVo (which I do) and those who feel that anything not a TiVo is not worth a warm bucket of spit (I don't).

Heck, I'm a TiVo stockholder, so I should be biased towards TiVo. But I'm honest enough to evaluate the HR2X for what it is, a decent and reliable DVR with lots of features missing from TiVos, a steady stream of improvements and a UI that could be better.

I'll be first in line for the new TiVo-based DirecTV box, if I should live that long, but I don't feel I'm compromising by using HR2X boxes now. I like to think that my comments in this forum are balanced and honest, reflecting my own experience. I really do think that the DirecTV boxes are worth acquiring and using and won't stop saying so. I think a lot of the negativity in this forum is uncalled for.

11. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I have a similar DVR history to Stevel, and I agree with him 100%. There are things I like better about Tivo, and things I like better about the HR2x. But the HR2x is definitely a serious contender for Tivo's crown, and apparently the first and only one in history. Everything else is a very distant third, or worse. The complaints about the HR2x are NOTHING compared to the woes of DVR users from DISH and cable.

Currently, I can count on my HR2xs to get the job done. Not so much with my HR10's, which might spontaneously reboot whenever they have a mind to. That's not good.

If I could trade my HR10's in on HR2xs, however, I would not. The proof there is that path is actually open to me, and I have avoided it. Having both platforms is actually better than having one or the other.

If I could trade all my DVRs for Tivo HD MPEG-4 DVRS that were as reliable as my HR2xs however, I would jump at the chance, and pay for it. There is still something about the Tivo interface that surpasses the HR2x interface. That particular Tivo ergonomic magic is like lightning in a bottle, hard to match, hard to beat. It's just not all that essential.

Reliability trumps ergonomic agility. And a DVR that gets 130 HD channels definitely trumps one that only gets 7, most of which are doomed to go away within weeks or months.

12. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I'd agree with Steve and Tyrone. If your definition of a "problem receiver" is all the complaints you read on a forum then you better define Tivo as a problem receiver as well for the past 8 years. Seriously, do you not see all the posts here in the various Tivo forums about problems? It's what forums do. Certainly doesn't make Tivo's bad. Same with the DirecTV DVRs, some people certainly have problem with them, but many people also do not. And a lot of the complaints you do read are because it's "not a Tivo". ;)

Personally the HR2x boxes do just fine for me. Very little problems in over 2 and a half years. Tivo also gave me very little problems over the 8 years I owned many of them other then 3 of them died of hard drive failure.

Anyway, this doesn't need to degenerate into another bashing thread since there have been several in the past and thankfully most of the posting in recent months has been quite civil.