Add wifi network expander to TiVo Moca network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fishboyjr, Aug 26, 2016.

1. fishboyjr

fishboyjr New Member

Nov 20, 2007

Advertisements

I currently have a few Minis that are on my network via Moca. I have a wifi dead spot in my house that I want to plug. I was thinking of adding an Actiontec WCB3000N wifi network expander that uses Moca.

Do you think the Moca network can handle both the TiVo video and the additional network data I plan on? Most likely it would only be basic web browsing. I have the Actiontec ECB2500C which is Moca 1.1 and is supposed to deliver 270 Mbps.

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    You should be fine. I use slower DECA units leftover from my DirecTV days and haven't had an issue at all and we stream and do other more intensive stuff than the basic web browsing you're talking about.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have used ASUS EA-N66R, Linksys WUMC710, Netgear 2001, TiVo wireless N and Netgear EX7000 all in media bridge mode to drive Mini, Roamio and Premiere boxes in various combinations. No problems.

Only failure: internal Roamio wireless.

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Depending on what version of the WCB3000N you get (Branded vs Retail Actiontec), the default on all versions is for it to become the MoCA "network controller." Which is the same as the Tivo "create a MoCA network". This will cause a conflict if both the Tivo and WCB3000N try to do the same thing.
    If you do run into problems, changing the setting on your Tivo DVR to "connect to a MoCA network" should fix it.
    The retail version of the WCB3000N does have the ability to disable this "network controller" function but the more stable fix would be to change the Tivo.

5. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...

Advertisements

Unless his modem/router is located where the TiVo is and not the WCB3000N so he has his internet source available to inject into the moca network.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    They should be OK so long as they don't connect the WCB3000N via Ethernet to the same Ethernet LAN as whatever device is currently creating their MoCA network, right?

And given they're looking to use a coax/MoCA WCB3000N rather than some other typical wireless router/access point to extend their network, it sounds like the issue should be moot, as the WCB3000N won't have access via Ethernet to the LAN.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Sorry guys,
    A while back, I recall swearing off of commenting on problems which were ill described or simply incomplete other than to ask for clarification. For some silly reason, I mistakenly did it again in some absent minded moment. The reason I swore off of these things is because almost immediately the thread becomes a kind of further speculation(s) regarding every possible permutation and combination of variables and the almost endless tedious examination of such, meanwhile the OP often disappears to clarify nothing.
    The major question asked by the OP in this case was related to his concern that he might inadvertently run out of bandwidth by adding a MoCA based "network extender". I agree that this is extremely unlikely in a properly functioning MoCA network and he will never see any negative impact to his Tivos or network.
    My best guess is that the OP is unlikely to run into any conflicts based on the limited description of his current setup. I mentioned one possible one, less for his situation but for other readers who may do something similar and find there is a problem. This was a mistake on my part. I will patiently wait to see if the OP has any issues and if he indicates problems I will respond to his posts to see if I can help him find a work around...in the unlikely event that it is needed.

8. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Oh cool, so my first response wins the blue ribbon! ;)

Attached Files:

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    With a renewed focus on the OP's actual question...
    With that stipulation, yes. 3 Minis simultaneously streaming the highest bitrate MPEG2 HD video (~20Mbps) via TiVo Multi-Room Streaming (MRS) from their host DVR would leave plenty of room for additional activity even on a Fast Ethernet segment (100 Mbps), especially if you're just talking web browsing.

However, you may have some misconceptions regarding your gear, and you haven't provided sufficient information to produce a more certain, authoritative answer.

• Re: this comment...
      The Actiontec ECB2500C *is* a MoCA 1.1 adapter, and so is capable of a "PHY rate" of up to 270 Mbps; however, the associated spec'd "MAC/data rate" maximum, what you could expect in terms of throughput, is nearer 170 Mbps. Further, since the ECB2500C only employs a Fast Ethernet interface, rather than Gigabit, the actual maximum data rate for the bridged traffic passing through the adapter is limited to Fast Ethernet, 100 Mbps.

See this post for more info on the PHY and MAC/data rate association, and how to determine the current MoCA stats for a MoCA-connected TiVo device:
      See the following post for more on MoCA bridges and suspect marketing of their throughput:

• You haven't mentioned exactly how many Minis you have, so the max possible bandwidth consumed with all of them streaming HD MPEG2 videos off the host DVR can't be estimated.

• You haven't mentioned how the host DVR is networked, via Ethernet or via MoCA. If via Ethernet, then the Fast Ethernet interface of your bridging MoCA adapter remains the bottleneck, limiting the available bandwidth to all MoCA-connected devices to 100 Mbps, since all these devices would need to communicate through the adapter's Fast Ethernet interface for any activity.

However, if the host DVR is networked via MoCA, the DVR is able to communicate with each Mini directly over MoCA, avoiding the limiting Fast Ethernet interface of the ECB2500C, and upping the total available bandwidth for TiVO MRS streaming to MoCA 1.1's max of 170 Mbps. Even with 5 Minis simultaneously streaming max HD MPEG2 from the host DVR, you'd be looking at nearly 70 Mbps available for devices connected through the WCB3000N -- and they'd have the Fast Ethernet interface of the ECB2500C all to themselves.

Exceedingly speculative, but wanted to throw it out there as something to think about.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    :up:

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It was six years last time. :)

12. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It should work fine unless you try really, really hard to break it. Also, MPEG-2 video from many cable providers is 8-12mbps on most channels, so likely the bandwidth use is nowhere near 20mbps per Mini. On FIOS, it's probably more like 12-18mbps, depending on the channel. If the 100mbps MoCA adapter is providing the internet connectivity, that effectively leaves 70mbps on the table for the TiVos even if a wireless device is maxing out the internet bandwidth available, so any way around, I don't see it being an issue.