Add tuners to OTA Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Brewster411, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Brewster411

Brewster411 New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    I run into conflicts even with my OTA TiVo: would like the option to have 6 to 8 tuners.

2. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I'd like 12 tuners and 20TB storage.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Buy another Tivo.

jrtroo and ke3ju like this.
  4. Sep 1, 2017 #4 of 24
    bella92108

bella92108 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I'm confused here... TiVo OTA can record FOUR shows at once. In any local market, there are generally ABC\CBS\NBC\FOX\CW affiliates. The whole sell for people to have the OTA is that they're not really TV people to justify a cable subscription, more streaming content users.

I have 250+ channels and I rarely find a time when my TiVo is recording 4 things at once, there's just not many instances where there's more than one or two interesting thing on at a time. Sounds like if you're running up against a wall on this issue, you might be in the wrong product category. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find people who just have an antenna and those 6 channels saying "gosh I wish I could record everything on every channel, there's just too much to watch" lol

bradleys likes this.
  5. Sep 2, 2017 #5 of 24
    Brewster411

Brewster411 New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    I receive up to 64 channels from 22 over-the-air stations from my location including some movie channels. Also I hope some day USA, SiFi. TBS. FX & TNT will broadcast under one of these stations. I think they can broadcast up-to 9 or 10 channels under each station. If you go to Address and put in 32817 you will see how many line of site stations I can receive. I usually record a whole season before I watch them at the end of the season.

6. Sep 2, 2017 #6 of 24
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Not gonna happen.
    Only so my much bandwidth available on a frequency. Most of the sub-channels are low quality.
    Your only option is to buy more TiVos.

As far as 4-tuners being enough, even if you disregard the sub-channels, padding eats up tuners vary quickly. Not to mention that in a household with multiple people with vastly different tastes, conflicts can arise even with no padding.

7. Sep 2, 2017 #7 of 24
    bella92108

bella92108 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I remember one time attaching an antenna and doing a scan and about 40 or so channels came up. Absolutely ZERO of interest though. I guess if you want a chinese news channel or a mexican 24\7 music channel great, but I can't imagine recording things off these channels. The only things I'd record off of are the primary networks, and they purposely design their lineups so there's never more than 1-3 top-rated shows competing in a time slot. I was just looking at my fall tivo lineup, and even in the popular tue-thur 7 to 11 pm timeslots, across all my channels including cable i could only see 1 or 2 instances where 4 shows were recording at once.

I guess you just like to record everything, even the garbage that uninteresting... seems silly... but then so does only having 4 real channels to chose from because you use an antenna.

8. Sep 2, 2017 #8 of 24
    bella92108

bella92108 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    So he wants cable channels (the 5 or 6 people pay their entire cable bill of 200+ just to get those few channels for) to go free over the air? BAHAHHAHA... I think the 46 of 50 channels he gets being foreign languages and home shopping channels have him confused how it works.

I disagree, 4 tuners being enough when you get 4 actual channels on an antenna and 45 sub channels with absolutely NOTHING on... gosh, I can't even imagine maxing out the tuners, especially when the OTA boxes have such small recording capacity. just seems so boring to have such a nice box\tivo and hook it up to an antenna, haha

9. Sep 2, 2017 #9 of 24
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Ignorance and arrogance. A deadly combination.

10. Brewster411

Brewster411 New Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Orlando, FL

Yes this is where I have the problem, I have to pad during football & basketball season. And since I like to record the whole season before watching it I don't always see the 10 o'clock padded show that gets moved to 9 o'clock. I currently have a 3 TB drive in my TiVo and still have to archive a lot of shows to external drives. This also causes a problem when I retrieve them back to the TiVo, I loose the [Skip] feature. If I get another TiVo I need an additional subscription (for $14.95) which defeats the the cost saving of going OTA.
    So in closing; I would still like TiVo to give me the option of purchasing more tuners & being able to archive recordings to an external USB hard drive.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Although not the rule, there have been (fortunate) times when all the tuners in my Roamio OTA are recording and I could use 2 more: a couple broadcast channels, a couple PBS stations (I have 5), a SciFi classics station, and a film classics station; etc. It happens.

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You know that you can already download the shows to your PC with several tools (and archive to an external USB drive connected to your PC) and upload them back later if needed?

Scott

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    He knows.

The best option would be to edit our the commercials of the archived shows. Then you don't need skip mode.

Neither one is really doable.

14. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    pytivo comes to mind...

15. bella92108

bella92108 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Odd. I just couldn't imagine being stuck with the garbage of sub channels. The first time I flipped through sub channels I chuckled cause it was literally such a joke and I've lived in markets big and small. They're all junk.

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Of course, some/many are (at least for me)--I ignore those. But as I mentioned, a film classics channel has been great (providing an in-house equivalent to my local library branch's DVD collection), along with a SciFi, etc. channel, and all those for PBS. Plus a few running earlier broadcast TV series that I hadn't seen before. :)

17. shooter33

shooter33 New Member

May 9, 2018
    Hey all- Thought I'd unbury this relic of a thread for a bit...has anyone been able to accomplish this? I don't care what anyone thinks of OTA sub-channels, programming, and why anyone would need or want to record more channels at once, etc. Can something like this- https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Wi...8&qid=1534171029&sr=8-4&keywords=tv+usb+tuner or something similar be used to add any additional tuners to the Tivo OTA? And yes- I already realize I'd have to split my coax to feed both coax inputs...A couple extra tuners, a beefier hard drive, and a bracket added for a cable card for the cable folks would really expand the possibilities of the OTA w/o the monthly cost that accompanies the Bolt VOX. The Tivo OTA VOX is great on it's own, but mods are always welcome. Hell, if I could hack a way to put more apps on the thing, I'd be all for that. It's severely lacking there. For now, extra tuners- anyone??

18. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    The Roamio OTA now comes with a subscription. No need to pay per month. You may be better off getting rid of your subscription one and switch to the Roamio OTA as there are no monthly fees.

Most of the sub channels repeat their programming over and over. In most cases, if you can not record it at one time, it will be played again very soon.

19. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    The tuners aren't upgradeable or expandable. You're stuck with what's built in to the box. It would be nice to have more, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards. Best you can do is buy a second Roamio OTA, which will give you another box with 4 more tuners. Unfortunately, they won't act like a single box with 8 tuners. They can see each other's recordings, but they don't synchronize or coordinate schedules, tuners or anything like that.

Other options to consider are DIY & alternative DVRs like Plex, Tablo & HDHomeRun. There's also Hulu, which has nothing to do with tuners, but major shows from ABC, NBC & Fox usually show up the next day for streaming on demand, to reduce your reliance on recordings.

20. Value4Realty

Value4Realty New Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Totally with you. Five of us can easily be on at once. Wish they had the 6 room, 3TB model working with OTA reception instead of just Cable.

Would also be nice to see more downloadable service like an android player has