Add streaming the "My Shows"->"Suggestions" list from all Video Providers

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by DanTivo, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1 of 17
    DanTivo

DanTivo DanTivo

Apr 3, 2016

Advertisements

Suggestion:

• Add streaming suggestions to the Tivo Menu My Shows->Suggestions list. So that all a user's setup Video Providers (Amazon, Amazon Prime, Hule, Netflix etc.) streaming choices show up under Suggestions.

Why:
    • Who doesn't want to find a list of suggested videos they would love to watch. Funny thing is we almost forgot Suggestions still existed on Tivo because its abilities are made lame without including streaming options from top value Video Providers such as Amazon Prime, Neflix etc. The Suggestions though are still uncannily good, but it is hard to appreciate them when you know there's a ton of great programming (Video Provider Streaming) completely missing from the list. We'll just go hunt on Netflix or Amazon instead.
    • So to add a ton of value to Tivo by leveraging Tivo's current ability (and original Killer App) to suggest programs based profiling users with similar preferences.
    • This would revitalize Tivo's Killer App back to its original value equation around 2002 by integrating (aka "Unifying") video choices (now however across Video Provider platforms) and allow users to use the power of Tivo user profiling to find hidden gems that they would love to watch, but don't know about. A true high value cross platform (aka Unifying) integration killer application which would again define Tivo as the uncanny master of finding content users love but didn't know about.

If you agree, perhaps let Tivo know at support and they can a custom suggestion link here:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. Apr 3, 2016 #2 of 17
    DanTivo

DanTivo DanTivo

Apr 3, 2016
    One additional note, Tivo isn't just a DVR. The Suggestion list was revolutionary back in 2000, but if the change is implemented to include Streaming of Video Providers in Suggestions, Tivo will become the first integrator (Unifier) for a user with multiple streaming services with a powerful Suggestion based on Tivo long perfect Suggestion algorithms.

This is what customers need and will need. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Amazon, but some have even more with Hulu et al. Apple TV is nice, but it still just throws a million crappy choices at you. When everything goes to cloud technology, Tivo could live on as the one service that unifies them all by providing Suggestions across all streaming services. Suggestions even Netflix won't know because they don't have Tivo's big picture data set of view habits across all video spheres.

Would love to see Tivo back in the drivers seat.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #3 of 17
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I think this is a really great idea. I look through Suggestions every so often and frequently find things that I want to watch (or at least give a try).

Scott

4. Apr 4, 2016 #4 of 17
    Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I would like to record streaming content for delayed watching. Too much to ask for but that would be a worthwhile TiVo unique service added to all previous great suggestions on this thread.

5. Apr 4, 2016 #5 of 17
    DanTivo

DanTivo DanTivo

Apr 3, 2016

Advertisements

Sparky, I believe attempting to capture streaming content is violation of use. I'd offer, however, providing links to streaming content from paid video providers in Suggestions is not.

6. Apr 4, 2016 #6 of 17
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It may need its own category/logic, but I like the idea. I have 200 suggestions right now, how many more would I have applying the algorithm to Netflix alone?

7. Apr 4, 2016 #7 of 17
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I'd like to see a list of suggestions without recording them back again. And include the OTT in the list.

8. Apr 5, 2016 #8 of 17
    DanTivo

DanTivo DanTivo

Apr 3, 2016
    True, but at the very least suggested streaming links won't take up dvr space and will give you lot more and better Suggestion material to rate and make your suggestions even more accurate. Glad you like it.

9. Apr 5, 2016 #9 of 17
    DanTivo

DanTivo DanTivo

Apr 3, 2016
    Agreed - ott without wasting dvr space (or violating copyright) seems a smarter way to go.:)

10. davefred99

davefred99 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Lassen...
    How does PlayOn get away with this if its illegal, I know they record in real time so it takes longer but it works and the recordings are available in Plex so why couldn't Tivo jut let you record to there Hardrive for local access instead of having to go through Plex which is nice but takes too long to load and access .

11. DanTivo

DanTivo DanTivo

Apr 3, 2016
    Good Question - glad you asked. Kate Cox wrote about this for The Consumerist. In brief,
    PlayOn explicitly does not circumvent any [Digital rights management] DRM, nor does it access the encrypted stream in any way to download material. Instead, it functions essentially as a browser-based screen-capture program. The consumer, you, has to queue up and play something in order for PlayOn to record it, which PlayOn then does in real-time invisibly in a background process.

Because PlayOn is technically functioning as screen capture software, and is not circumventing DRM, it stays on the “legal” side of the line. That applies even if users then illegally share and distribute those copies they made, just like the manufacturers of VCRs were not responsible for bootleg tapes being sold on street corners.

for example:
    Netflix: Section 6E specifies, “You agree not to archive, download (other than through caching necessary for personal use), reproduce, distribute, modify, display, perform, publish, license, create derivative works from, offer for sale, or use (except as explicitly authorized in these Terms of Use) content and information contained on or obtained from or through the Netflix service without express written permission from Netflix and its licensors.”​

So yes, you can manually set it up to virtual screen scrape via playon for the sole court upheld exclusion to the DRM of shifting the time you watch it, but I'd offer Tivo automating the process for thousands of users based on its Suggestions would broach the agreement as a re-publication. Keep Tivo out of the DRM's selection and capture stipulations, and you (not Tivo) can skirt line as is the case with playon.

For what it is worth.

DanTivo

PS Apparently I'm now bonafide enough to post links. So here goes: for the full original and well written article by Kate Cox
    https://consumerist.com/2015/11/06/...r-music-off-spotify-but-youre-not-allowed-to/

https://consumerist.com/2015/10/27/...k-cars-and-a-couple-other-things-for-science/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    +1

I don't want to record suggestions, but I wouldn't mind seeing a list of suggestions from my various streaming providers.

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I want to see a list from the linear channels too. Like TiVo used to have. It is wasteful to only make suggestions recorded or nothing.

14. DanTivo

DanTivo DanTivo

Apr 3, 2016
    Hi Tony, are you saying you can't see programs as they are in the process of recording on your Suggestions list? Apologies, I suspect I misunderstood your last comment.

DanTivo

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The old TiVo UI use to have a menu where you could view a list of all the programs TiVo thought you might like, even if there were conflicts that might prevent them from actually being recorded. They got rid of that in the HDUI for some reason.

16. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I don't turn on recording of suggestions. I hate that feature.

17. DanTivo

DanTivo DanTivo

Apr 3, 2016
    gotcha...links and not recordings...that works with this suggested enhancement.