Add Server does not remember computer name

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Albert Miller, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Albert Miller

Albert Miller New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Las Vegas
    After adding a server under Music, Photos, & More, I am able to select that PC and view photos and play music without any problems, everything works great. However, if I exit the menu system, and go back into Music, Photos & more menu, the PC that I added displays as a IP address, and not the PC name as before. The only way I can connect to that PC again is to delete the IP address menu selection, and do the ADD server again.
    I could not find any other posts that shows anyone is having this problem. The only thing that may different about my home network is that I have DNS, DHCP services running on a Linux Server. So maybe TIVO needs NETBIOS or something to resolve the computer names. But anyway, has anyone had a problem with Tivo HD not remembering the computer names you added under Add Server?

2. Albert Miller

Albert Miller New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Las Vegas
    So I guess I must be the only one having this problem?

3. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    The only thing "remembered" is the IP address. The name for the menu item is taken from the server when you pull up the menu. If you can hit the web server on the TiVo box from the PC, then I don't know what the problem might be, especially since the IP address is manually added. If you can't, well, there's your problem...

If the TiVo box and PC are on different subnets, there may be something in the beacon packets being broadcast by the latter that the box needs to get to the server... the server could be on a port that the box doesn't assume, or something. In that case, this may be one possibility for getting around that:

http://www.smittyware.com/linux/tivobridge/

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Nope, you are not alone in this problem... I let it go after calling Tivo, an was told yet another "fix" is posed to address this issue.... :rolleyes: